“Almost Authentic Guatemalan Food”
Review of Casa Chapina

Casa Chapina
Ranked #24 of 605 Restaurants in Guatemala City
Price range: US$1 - US$22
Cuisines: Guatemalan
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I had lunch with colleagues at Casa Chapina today. It is quaint restaurant with the tortilla cooking taking place in the middle of the dining room. A neat atmosphere, it seems like a great family restaurant. My colleague said the the tortillas are made without salt and are very authentic.

I had a traditional plate with steak, refried beans, sausage, tostados and chips. The tortilla chips are good and the salsa very good. Ask for the hot, white salsa.

My friend has a chicken plate and could not finish all the food served. Portions are more than adequate.

This is a chain restaurant but for a fun, clean environment with good food I recommend it.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

We stopped into Casa Chapina last night for a quick snack. The food was nothing spectacular nor was it very "authentic" (Guatemalan food). It's located in a relatively safe area (Zona Viva).

There was a big football match on last night (soccer) and the three waiters and bartender were so engrossed in the match that it was nearly impossible to get their attention. I actually had to tap one guy on the back to get his eyeballs to swerve from the TV screen.

My fajitas were just OK. Mediocre. As we were TRYING to get the check to leave (that took an awfully long time), I looked over and saw the bartender (slick, black hair with glasses) picking his nose. Right there in full view.

I was happy that I'd stuck with bottled beer in this place. He didn't seem to be self-conscious or feel that there was anything wrong with picking his nose at the bar.

Ewwwwwwwww...for that reason alone, we will not return to this restaurant.

2  Thank Tamara_in_Antigua
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Fun atmosphere with the senora making tortillas in front of you. Great Horchata and good typical Guatemalan food, at least according to this gringo. We went back for a send trip later in the week. Spent a week in the city and this is thoe only one we wanted to return to.

1  Thank shileyk
Reviewed 22 July 2013

well thought to have an experience and really had one, not so great food not even by guatemalan standards, a place that can be easily forgotten and will not change anything in your experience

2  Thank winecliff
Reviewed 24 April 2013

Have eaten at this restaurant at least a dozen times and never had anything bad. Always enjoy the food. They even have free Wi-Fi