“Lovely place, big rooms”
Review of Coperacha

Coperacha
Miami, Florida
“Lovely place, big rooms”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I booked my boyfriend and I a room here, as the prices were great and the pictures look lovely. Coperacha lives up to it- the rooms are spacious and well priced, though a bit dark as most hostels are. The gardens and lounging areas are colorful and comfortable, well decorated and cute. The breakfast was delicious as well!
I felt bad that we left a day earlier than planned, and here's why: Coperacha is in Zona 2, which is the totally opposite side of town as the airport, malls, modern day stuff in GC. While we did enjoy walking to the Presidential Square and seeing the local mercados close to Coperacha, we were really in the city because we needed to buy me a new keyboard for my iPad, fix some cell phone stuff, and visit a doctor...ALL of those things are on the other side of town, and it was not logical for us to stay so far away, so we left for Quetzalroo (please see my review of them- crazy expensive for what you get, and Coperacha is a much better value if you can handle the location).

Recommended if you are in GC to do some touring and/or are bussing in and out through a company that has its hub/office in Zona 1. Do some research ahead of time on those logistics, and if it makes sense for you, stay here! Great value and lovely, clean place.

Room Tip: The rooms on the street are bigger, but may have morning noise.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Stony Brook, New York
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Guatemala City is a place that has always made me nervous, so when I had to stay for two weeks to do research, I was apprehensive to say the least. Staying at La Coperacha and in zone 2 made my time in Guate far more comfortable than I ever expected. Not only is the place clean and comfortable, but the staff and the other guests were amazingly helpful and friendly. The breakfasts are good, the coffee flows freely, and it was quiet enough that I was able to sleep at a reasonable hour every night. The location is hard to beat: a 10 minute walk from the Plaza Mayor in a nice, surprisingly quiet part of the city center, with everything you need a couple blocks away. To those reviewers who complain about the safety of the neighborhood, this is as good as it's going to get in the middle of Guatemala City. Stay off the streets at night and use common sense.

The best part of La Coperacha are the people who work and reside there. Lucien, the manager, was quick to respond to e-mails, arranged airport pick-up, and was always willing to help his guests with travel advice and arrangements. Maria and Ofelia make a good Guatemalan breakfast and keep the place clean. Special thanks to Luis, La Coperacha's taxista of choice, who ferried me all over the city for two weeks, came on short notice, and always provided good company along the way.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Very cheap private double ($10) and the nicest people. Arranged a ride for me from the airport, shared drinks with us, made delicious homemade breakfast in the morning, and even walked me to the phone shop and helped me set up a phone plan.

Its a quirky and funky spot, but they really care about their guests and I would definitely stay there again!

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 4 April 2014

The owner is quirky but awesome. Our bus arrived early into Guatemala city and he let us in at 5:30 in the morning. We were served breakfast with the best eggs we’ve ever eaten and we were in our room by 7 am. Our room was spacious, quiet, and clean with a much needed mosquito net. The bathrooms were clean and had hot water.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank brent_hall11
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Good hostel. Very nice atmosphere, friendly staff! Lucien, the manager makes you feel very welcome. Good breakfast! Patio to stay relaxed on the hammacks. Location near the historic center and the local market. Recommended!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Aleksandra_Wanda
London
Reviewed 19 February 2014

The good - Very charming interior. Very good sized rooms. Clean. Decent showers although the toilets need to be refurbished - particularly the seats.
The bad - Difficult to find due to the way Guate does it's addresses and the fact that there is no sign on he building. Location is not great in the north of the city with little (safe) public transport around. Also, a guest told me he was mugged the previous day in the nearby plaza. No en suite bathrooms. The middle-aged manager woke me up in the morning to say that my room was reserved for that day even though I'd said to someone else the previous day that I would be staying for 2 nights. (The manager of Quetzalroo told me this guy has a drink problem and there are often complaints about the way he runs things - I didn't get the chance to experience any other problems as I checked out straight away)
The privates are 10 US dollars a night which is good for the city but I guess is reflected in the location - and service from the manager

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

Good and safe place in the middle of Guate City. Big rooms, showers, toilets, good breakfast. Relax and chill possibilities. Right now i'm hanging around in the hammock and writing this rating full relaxed. :) once i will be back here again!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends