“Great service, a few kinks.”

The Westin Camino Real
Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in Guatemala City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington DC
“Great service, a few kinks.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2012

In the past three years, I have made 20 trips to Guatemala. I get a good rate on the CR through a local travel agent. The bottom line is that its combined location (zone 10, safe enough in the daytime) and super service on the room floors (spottier in lobby) make me keep coming back to this hotel. I stayed at the Intercontinental down the street in January 2012 (see review), but it didn't compare. The Intercon is darker, the gym is smaller, the pool is unattractive, and the hotel lacks the on-site services that the CR provides, namely, a shop where you can buy everything from bottles of wine to souvenirs to books on Guatemala's civil war. This is a huge convenience all by itself when it is 8pm and after a day running around for work all you want is large bottle of water, some peanuts, a couple glasses of wine.
Downside of the CR: The Internet is a rip-off at $10 a day and, as a previous poster noted, there are not enough outlets. In addition, t.v. reception is spotty: during my 3-night stay in March the t.v. barely worked. A few rooms still have the clunker t.v.s, so don't assume you'll get a flat screen.
Upside of the CR: As noted, service on the room floors is excellent: whether you need a corkscrew, a needle and thread or someone to tweak the refrigerator (this has happened twice in the past year: refrig. needed replacing), they are there in a jiffy, with a smile.
Finally, the reason to stay at the CR instead of the (superior) Barceló four blocks away is location, a detail that escapes first-timers in Guatemala. The Barceló is ranked higher on TA, and for good reason: the physical plant is more capacious and offers even more services than the Camino. However -- and this is a huge "however" -- its location in zone 9 makes it, in my book, a sketchy place to hang one's hat. Although zone nine technically is "just across the street" from the Camino Real (they are separated by the noisy, cacaphonous Avenida Reforma), this distinction is crucial.While you can walk in zone 10 at night provided you take precautions, zone 9 is virtually no man's land; you cannot go anywhere on foot and maintain a reasonable expectation of not getting mugged.

Room Tip: Request ahead of time a room with flat screen. Also, the hotel van at airport often waits 20 in or...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Jean-Marie S
Ximena R, Gerente at The Westin Camino Real, responded to this review, 13 June 2012

Thank you for taking the time of writing this review of our hotel.
It always for us very pleasant to receive such comments which help us to get better every day, we are sorry for the inconvenient you had in your visit, this comment will help us to give our guest a high service in each of their visits.

Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Maui, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

If you are a Starwood member, this place can be a real bargain. No complaints here. Conveniently located just a few minutes to the airport and they provide a free shuttle.

Copious amounts of hot water and if you want a relaxing tub bath after weeks of showers only hotels, then this will be a welcome sight.

Yes no wifi, but you may score a free wifi depending on your Startwood status.

My second visit. Enjoyable. Safe, secure, quiet. It has just about everything.

Recommended

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Dear guest,

Thank you for a such amazing comment about us.
It always a pleasant to receive such comments which help us to keep our high service standard.

I will take the liberty to put your comment in our info staff board as it always motivating to receive such appreciation form our guests.

Miami, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2012

Rooms are ok, they were refurbished, no wifi in the Business floor lounge, incredible for a business hotel, staff is friendly and location is good.
They charge for in room wifi which I believe is more important than tv for business traveler.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank DonquijoteII
Ximena R, Manager at The Westin Camino Real, responded to this review, 29 May 2012

San Francis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

Stayed there with my wife for a weekend using my Spg points. They immediately upgraded us to an executive suite, which was much more elegant than their counterparts in US. Staff was friendly and they have sent fruit baskets etc. to our room.

Overall very nice hotel, good location, friendly staff.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest!!

Thank you for taking the time of writing this nice review of our hotel.
It always for us very pleasant to receive such comments which help us to keep our high service standard.

San José, Costa Rica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

I have stayed several times at this hotel. The good news is that the renovation is starting to show, the bad news is that attention to detail in the rooms is still lacking: the safe deposit box was located in the middle of the hanging space, ate up the useable part of the closed. New flat screens are being installed, however the old wooden cupboard is the same and since the screen was placed deep inside, the viewing angle is really narrow. Finallly, my all-time complaint with this hotel rooms: no free AC outlets for the desk, all are taken by the ethernet swith, full of blinking lights, lamp and TV. I must recognize that front desk service has improved substantially, as in the italian restaurant.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business

Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

I frequently stay at the Westin chain, but didn't have super high hopes for the Westin in Guatemala City. I have travelled extensively in Guatemala and frankly, service standards are not where the North American traveller is used to.

I called the hotel from Canada to see about getting picked up at the airport. I was happy to be able to speak to an English speaking person as my Spanish is not quite good enough yet. We arranged the complimentary shuttle pick up and although I was over 45 minuted delayed in my arrival, the driver was waiting for me with a smile.

This set the tone for the next days of my stay, I found while not all the staff were English speaking (and I woud never expect them to be) many were, and all staff were friendly and helpful.

The room was in keeping Westin standards, and very nice. I visited the gym, which was much nicer than I expected, the photos on the website do not do it justice. It is a full size gym, complete with separate yoga room and refills on water (bring your own bottle for free refills!)
Outside there is a lovely pool and hot tob, as well as a small bar and poolside service.

The area is the hotel is located in is called Zone 10, and one of the nicer areas of Guatemala to walk around a bit, with some good restaurants and shops.

The only downside was the free internet available in the lobby did not work very well...although I didn't pay for the in room service which may have been better.

All in all I was pleasantly surprised and will visit the hotel again my next time through the city.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Tanya1111
Ximena R, Manager at The Westin Camino Real, responded to this review, 16 May 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for a such amazing comment about us.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

Good location in zona viva and very secure. We booked this for the pool but didn't end up using it due to a busy schedule. For 2 of 3 nights we were on the club floor and would definitely recommend that upgrade. The beds were wonderful and the room was pretty, although small. Open-wall-type shower that drives me crazy, but otherwise clean and nice. Breakfast on the club floor is included and was simple but good with a small buffet of hot food and cereal, rolls, yogurt, fruit. Room service food was not good and when we commented on the dried out cake there was no apology or offer to adjust the charge. Staff didn't know the answers to several of our questions, and overall it didn't have the welcoming feel we were hoping for. Doubt we would stay again.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank CityLakeGirl
Ximena R, Manager at The Westin Camino Real, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time of writing this nice review of our hotel.
It always for us very pleasant to receive such comments which help us to get better everyday, we are sorry for the inconvenient you had in your visit, this comment will help us to give our guest a high service in each of their visits.