“Great for me !”

The Westin Camino Real Guatemala
Ranked #3 of 49 Hotels in Guatemala City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I stayed at this wonderful hotel as the pièce de résistance of my week (12/25-12/31) in Guatemala. I typically low end it during my "adventure" trips and then stay in a mid to high level hotel on my last day. The Westin Camino real fit the bill. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the hotel as well as the service. My room (628) was impeccably cleam and inviting. And OH THAT BED. Also a part of my ceremony of capping off my stays I always include a massage. Although the spa/fitness area was more than enough the actual massage was a disappointment. I am the queen of massages and rapid hand movements is not a technique in a deep tissue massage. Besides that quality of the massage the other less enjoyable aspect was the unavailability of WIFI in the rooms. No hotel of this quality should charge for internet services. But lets get back to the high points. I was also surprised to find that the gift shops were extremely reasonable (cheaper than) compared to the price of gifts in the rural area. They are also cheaper than the gift shops across from the hotel. Another plus is the smell of the hotel. I know that sounds a little wonky but Im a smeller and moldy or wet smelling hotels are an indication of a bigger unsanitary problem. The Westin takes care to have a beautiful clean aroma in their halls & around the hotel with the use of fragrance fans. This isnt to mask anything odorous but to further add to the ambiance of this clean and bright hotel.

What else..oh I didnt eat in the hotel restaurant. I got a tip from an insider that the food was so-so and that the restaurant across from the Holiday Inn (a block or 2 down the street) served typical Guatemalan food. I tried it and LOVED the ambiance. The food and price was great. I couldnt finish my meal.

Room Tip: Dont touch any of the food amenities in the room. You will be charged and uneccesarily high price. F...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Ximena R, Owner at The Westin Camino Real Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time of writing this review from our hotel. It´s a pleasant received such amazing comments which help us to keep our high service standard. Your compliments are really a positive stroke and push us to keep a high standard personalized service toward our guests.

We hope to see your soon in Westin Camino Real Guatemala.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

After 3 weeks on the road through Guatemala and Belize, we had one final night in Guatemala City. We stayed at the Westin Camino Real. I wish we could have stayed a lot longer. Everything was deluxe :)

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Ximena R, Manager at The Westin Camino Real Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2014

Dear guest,

We are very glad to receive this kind of comments about our hotel; we really appreciate a positive stroke that pushes us to keep a high standard personalized service toward our guests.
I will take the liberty to put your comment in our info staff board as it always motivating to receive such appreciation form our guests.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

Checked in for one night because we had an early flight home after spending a lovely week in Guatemala at small hotels in Antigua and Lake Atitalan. The Westin was well-located, rooms were OK and breakfast was hearty with lots of choices. The negative factor was that they charged $15.00 for each unit to connect to WiFi in the room. Free Wifi was offered in the lobby close to the Registration desk but it was difficult to connect and every time you moved from the area, you had to login with a new pass code. We got a big surprise when we checked out to find that they charged for bottled drinking water that they put on the bathroom sink, siggesting that the tap water was not safe to drink. How can a hotel charge for drinking water when the tap water is unsafe to drink. The next thing they will charge for is soap and towels.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

We are very sorry for the inconvenient you had during your stay, your comment will help us to give our guest a high service in each of their visits. Every problem you mentioned about internet and bottle of watter, will be notified to responsible department. Again thank you for the time it takes to respond our survey. This is very helpful to receive guest’s feedback which helps us to improve.

We hope to see you soon in Westin Camino Real Guatemala.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

We stayed there one night and had a very pleasant stay. The location is very close to the airport. The room was modern and very comfortable and the staff was friendly. We were there on new years and unfortunately, unless you had a pre-paid ticket, there were no available bar options so we wound up ordering room service. They have an attractive pool area and a great restaurant. We would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Ximena R, Manager at The Westin Camino Real Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your time filling this survey in, it is very important to receive such appreciation from our guests, this help us to improve every day. Any additional comment will be welcome.

We hope to see you soon again in Westin Camino Real Guatemala.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Recently had the pleasure of staying at the Westin for a few nights in early November and then again this month for a night. This is the only place I would stay in Guatemala City. When the people at the front desk remember me by name it is nice but not surprising since I see them daily, but when I see a bell hop up on the floor and HE remembers me by name and greets me that that is a nice surprise. This is the same gentleman who in November stayed with my suitcase while I was at the front desk waiting to change rooms (only needed one bed instead of two). There was a nice fruit basket waiting in the room for me which was much appreciated. When I spilled tea on my sheets and called down to housekeeping the woman was cheerful and joking and laughing with us and it was almost 10pm. Kudos to her. When I get on the shuttle bus to go to the airport and another passenger tells me they had already left and were a block or so away but turned around and came back for me then that is also unexpected. During the first week of November the hotel was having a lot of events, they have 2 parking garages but they were full. I left my friend waiting in the queue to enter the parking garage and went to the front desk to ask if they had spaces reserved for guests. The gentleman from reception confirmed with security that the garages were both full and then went with me to the parking garage to insure we were moved ahead and were able to enter without any further wait. When the new front desk manager who has only seen me once remembers my name and comes out to greet me is another example of why I stay here.
My only disappointment was that in the restaurant (El Cafetal) for the Day of the Dead buffet there were no decorations and nothing special done this year. Last year it was decorated and you could tell someone had taken extra care to arrange things nicely. The fiambre itself was better than last year but since Day of the Dead fell on a Friday this year the other items were all seafood (since that is the typical Friday night buffet) and not as good as I had expected. It looked good and there is a great variety but it wasn't flavorful to me. I had a piece of fried fish that was not completely cooked and the waitress took it away and immediately brought me another one that was.. During my last stay I had a suite on the 6th floor. Having a suite will allow you access to the lounge on the club floor. There is wonderful jacuzzi tub in the suite which is a great feature and the suite itself is very spacious. I'm already looking forward to my next stay and as always my sincere thanks to Estuardo and Rodrigo at the front desk for always being so helpful and pleasant.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Ximena R, Manager at The Westin Camino Real Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear Mr. Guest,

We hope to see you soon again in Westin Camino Real Guatemala.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

I stayed here on numerous occasions as a business traveller over several years. The hotel is very nice and the rooms were very comfortable. Breakfast was good, but not as good as at the Barcello a couple of blocks away. The hotel is located very close to many good restaurants.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Ximena R, Manager at The Westin Camino Real Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

Dear Guest!!

Thank you for a great comment it always motivating to receive such appreciation from our guests, this help us to keep our high service standard.

Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

We had a one night stay at this hotel prior a flight a La Aurora Auport (which is close), and we were very pleased. Definitelly the best in Guatemla City, very elegant and beds were comfy! Personal was nice and the overall experience is great. Keeping it classy... We will return!

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Kennstdu
Ximena R, Manager at The Westin Camino Real Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your time filling this survey in, it is a very important source of information to know our guests experience through their feedback, your comments will help us to improve the high service in each of your visit. We really appreciate your additional comments.

We hope to see you soon in Westin Camino Real Guatemala.

Very truly yours,