“Has potential...but not. Worth it!”

The Westin Camino Real Guatemala
Ranked #2 of 49 Hotels in Guatemala City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I could write pages about the experience; only a few short sentences would be positive....in short they will nickel and dime you ( almost $8 usd for a bottled water) and you will most likely not get your room serviced because of their crazy policy to ask you permission to clean your room...of course that would mean you need to be in your room when they knock....the front desk is no better, unless you like being ignored.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Jildac
Ximena R, Gerente at The Westin Camino Real Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your time filling this survey in, it is a very important source of information to know our guests experience through their feedback, your comments will help us to improve the high service in each of your visit. We are really sorry for your additional comment about our service and the permission to clean your room; we apologize for what happened, we can assure you it is not usual case, but we have transferred this information to the appropriate department, .

However excuse us on behalf of Westin staff for the inconvenience you experienced. We hope to see you soon in Westin Camino Real Guatemala.

Very truly yours,

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Stayed 3 nights again earlier this month as I typically enjoy the service. While bellboys can be called neutral quality at best this time, reception greeted me as regular guest and kindly gave me an upgrade to a suite on floor 3. The rooms were spacious but probably owing to long-awaited renovation works goind on this as well as other floors carpets and curtains were rather dirty. They are replacing the outside windows which causes lots of dust also in the corridors but should hopefully bring about better noise protection. Breakfast buffet is abundant, albeit they already start at 10 am instead of 11 as front office was telling us to clear much of it. Nevertheless, attention and service was very warm and nice to the extent that a good soul had realised I was looking in vain for fresh fruit and brought me a plate with selected fruits to my table! Pool is nice and well kept, service poolside ok for a hotel this standrad and I do recommend the deep tissue massage. Mine was hardly 45 instead of the 55 minutes indicated in the price list but produced the desired results very nicely. I trust that next time with renovation being finished and dirt gone, my colleague who accompanied me will also finda. Nice room - this time he had to spend two days in a room without a single window, something that should not exist or being compensated pro-actively by the otherwise friendly and attentive staff.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Ximena R, Manager at The Westin Camino Real Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your time filling this survey in, it is very important to receive such appreciation from our guests, this help us to improve every day. Thank you for your additional comment about our renovation, hope that your next visit will find our remodeling completed.

We hope to see you soon again in Westin Camino Real Guatemala.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Very nice hotel in Zone 10 near the airport. Excellent buffet breakfast. The only problem I had was the staff who seemed cold and indifferent. The front desk was not helpful at all.
They were more intent on doing there paperwork than answering questions from a first time visitor.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Ximena R, Gerente at The Westin Camino Real Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

Dear Guest,

We are very sorry for the inconvenient you had during your stay, your comment will help us to give our guest a high service in each of their visits. The problem you mentioned with our front desk personnel will be notified, for us give an excellent service is the most important. Again thank you for the time it takes to respond our survey. This is very helpful to receive guest’s feedback which helps us to improve.

We hope to see you soon in Westin Camino Real Guatemala.

Very truly yours,

Reviewed 22 January 2014

The location is good, in Zone 10, which appears safe & there's a few good restaurants & shopping centres nearby. The staff are generally very friendly & helpful, although the concierges vary a lot in terms of their ability to know & recommend restaurants, etc.
The rooms are large & well laid out.
Again you have to pay for the internet & it's erratic at best. This is ridiculous & hotels need to start providing quality internet access within the room price if they're to be serious about business people staying!
The hotel use an external tour company, which I believe is called "Martin" for airport transfers, etc. Do not use them as they're a complete rip off. USD$25 for an airport transfer that's all of 5-10 mins & the local taxis only charge $8. The hotel also booked us with this company to visit Antigua & again they were expensive & inflexible.

Room Tip: Get as high a floor as possible, ideally not overlooking the road in order to avoid noise.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Ximena R, Manager at The Westin Camino Real Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time of writing this review from our hotel. It´s a pleasant received such amazing comments which help us to keep our high service standard. Your compliments are really a positive stroke and push us to keep a high standard personalized service toward our guests.

We hope to see your soon in Westin Camino Real Guatemala.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

I stayed at this wonderful hotel as the pièce de résistance of my week (12/25-12/31) in Guatemala. I typically low end it during my "adventure" trips and then stay in a mid to high level hotel on my last day. The Westin Camino real fit the bill. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the hotel as well as the service. My room (628) was impeccably cleam and inviting. And OH THAT BED. Also a part of my ceremony of capping off my stays I always include a massage. Although the spa/fitness area was more than enough the actual massage was a disappointment. I am the queen of massages and rapid hand movements is not a technique in a deep tissue massage. Besides that quality of the massage the other less enjoyable aspect was the unavailability of WIFI in the rooms. No hotel of this quality should charge for internet services. But lets get back to the high points. I was also surprised to find that the gift shops were extremely reasonable (cheaper than) compared to the price of gifts in the rural area. They are also cheaper than the gift shops across from the hotel. Another plus is the smell of the hotel. I know that sounds a little wonky but Im a smeller and moldy or wet smelling hotels are an indication of a bigger unsanitary problem. The Westin takes care to have a beautiful clean aroma in their halls & around the hotel with the use of fragrance fans. This isnt to mask anything odorous but to further add to the ambiance of this clean and bright hotel.

What else..oh I didnt eat in the hotel restaurant. I got a tip from an insider that the food was so-so and that the restaurant across from the Holiday Inn (a block or 2 down the street) served typical Guatemalan food. I tried it and LOVED the ambiance. The food and price was great. I couldnt finish my meal.

Room Tip: Dont touch any of the food amenities in the room. You will be charged and uneccesarily high price. F...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Ximena R, Owner at The Westin Camino Real Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2014

Dear guest,

We hope to see your soon in Westin Camino Real Guatemala.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

After 3 weeks on the road through Guatemala and Belize, we had one final night in Guatemala City. We stayed at the Westin Camino Real. I wish we could have stayed a lot longer. Everything was deluxe :)

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Ximena R, Manager at The Westin Camino Real Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2014

Dear guest,

We are very glad to receive this kind of comments about our hotel; we really appreciate a positive stroke that pushes us to keep a high standard personalized service toward our guests.
I will take the liberty to put your comment in our info staff board as it always motivating to receive such appreciation form our guests.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

Checked in for one night because we had an early flight home after spending a lovely week in Guatemala at small hotels in Antigua and Lake Atitalan. The Westin was well-located, rooms were OK and breakfast was hearty with lots of choices. The negative factor was that they charged $15.00 for each unit to connect to WiFi in the room. Free Wifi was offered in the lobby close to the Registration desk but it was difficult to connect and every time you moved from the area, you had to login with a new pass code. We got a big surprise when we checked out to find that they charged for bottled drinking water that they put on the bathroom sink, siggesting that the tap water was not safe to drink. How can a hotel charge for drinking water when the tap water is unsafe to drink. The next thing they will charge for is soap and towels.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

We are very sorry for the inconvenient you had during your stay, your comment will help us to give our guest a high service in each of their visits. Every problem you mentioned about internet and bottle of watter, will be notified to responsible department. Again thank you for the time it takes to respond our survey. This is very helpful to receive guest’s feedback which helps us to improve.

We hope to see you soon in Westin Camino Real Guatemala.