“Well appointed but for a 5 star....”

The Westin Camino Real Guatemala
Ranked #3 of 49 Hotels in Guatemala City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I'd like wifi in the rooms. Especially liked the cool juice refreshment that awaits you in the lobby while you wait. Sad smells in the basement tunnels on the way to the beautiful pool. Well appointed marble lobby and flower arrangements about and are changed often.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Ximena R, Gerente at The Westin Camino Real Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your time filling this survey in, it is very important to receive such appreciation from our guests, this help us to improve every day. Any additional comment will be welcome.

There are newer reviews for The Westin Camino Real Guatemala

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

The westin is a nice hotel in a safe part of the city. The rooms are clean and big, the bathroom appeared to be newly renovated. I had breakfast at the lounge, which was good aswell. The staff was nice and helpful. The only thing about this hotel I didn't like was the fitness center. It's very big but old and rosty and because it's in the basement, the air wasn't very fresh, it was kind of smelly.

Stayed: July 2014
Ximena R, Gerente at The Westin Camino Real Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I just came back from a two night stay at the Westin in Guatemala City; we had a great experience. The dinner at the restaurant was great, pool and gym quite nice, and the staff was great. Kudos to Andrea C. in the business centre as she helped me arrange a tour at almost 830pm the night before. She went above and beyond to make sure we were happy. The room was very clean and the housekeeping staff every friendly. Everyone spoke English that I came in contact with. I will stay again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Ximena R, Gerente at The Westin Camino Real Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Reviewed 26 July 2014

The title says it all. Only stayed one night but the service was excellent. 5-Star hotel with outstanding customer service and well spoken English. The entrance is flawless! The hotel is located in Zona 10 which is labeled as the safest Zone in Guatemala City. I did not utilize the pool or gym area but did give it a look over; excellent large size pool and gym. My only issue with the room is that the walls are not sound proof and you can pretty much hear the neighbors. My colleagues and I walked to a local restaurant and felt safe along the way. If you are planning on purchasing the famous drink Zacapa, I would highly recommend using the hotel gift shop. There is a large Zacapa retail mall close by but the gift shop prices are more competitive and also priced lower than the airport duty free stores. I had an early flight the following morning and the shuttle leaves promptly every 30 minutes. Overall great facilities.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Located in Zone 10 and generally surrounded by other hotels it's not a Guatemalan cultural experience but it's location near the airport and it's clean comfortable Westin rooms make this a place I will stay again and again. The front desk, room service and security staff are friendly, helpful and help diminish the institutional feel.

• Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Stayed a week at the Westin in Guatemala City and it was really good. A colleague had stayed there years ago when it was hands-down the best hotel in the city. It still is up there, I would say. The lobby is a marble palace, and the service is good. English spoken well. Rooms clean and nicely done, marble bathrooms.

Best hotel workout room in Latin America- really good. Best pool in the city. Food in the bar, restaurants and room service, excellent (although I never ate anything fresh or drank any hotel water or ice and never got sick). Location is the best and safest in the city- close to the airport (great hotel shuttle picked me up), and right next to the best shopping and dining areas and the US Embassy is within a couple of blocks. Anywhere in Guatemala one would face a barrage of street vendors and beggars, and this hotel zone is no exception (all the best hotels are within a few blocks), but it felt very safe and we had no safety issues anywhere around the hotel.

The staff was very helpful with taxis, arrangements, tips, excursions, and pointing out safest places. Laundry was extremely fast and well done. In-room safe and mini bar were great. Robes in the room, very comfy bed.

i would highly recommend the Westin except for the following drawbacks. Construction noise. i asked for a quiet room, so of course, I was right beneath the remodeling on the floor above, and near the construction outside as they expand the hotel, so I had constant pounding, drilling and scraping- 24 HRS A DAY! Yes, another shift started at 11pm and worked through the wee hours! We called a number of times and all but one front desk person said, "No, there is no construction going on in the hotel at all." That being said, it was funnier that annoying, as I was up late working myself. There was very little airport noise despite being so close to it.

There was also very little street noise except for one day when there was a political demonstration aimed at a dignitary staying at the Westin, so I was awakened by that at 7am. But it was over quickly and just an interesting event in another land. Lots of security in the hotel because of him. The hotel is very secure all the time, with lobby attendants who won't let guests in and you have to use your room key to ascend the elevator to your floor- very safe.

Also, the bottled water in the room is $2.75 US per bottle, which is lame. If travelers can't safely drink the hotel water, and no indication given that it was purified (wouldn't believe that anyway), at least 2 bottles of water per person should be complimentary. There are stores within a block of the hotel where you can buy bottled water for much less, even the gift shop downstairs was cheaper.

Also, the cable TV had such a bad signal, it was almost unwatchable, but I felt blessed to have a roof over my head after seeing the shanty towns of the City. Hard to complain living in opulent comfort when 2 miles away, it's all cardboard and corrugated metal.

So it was quite good with great comfort, service, food and location. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Get a room away from construction, and on a higher floor with a view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Jimb0LA
Ximena R, Gerente at The Westin Camino Real Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your time filling this survey in, it is a very important source of information to know our guests experience through their feedback, your comments will help us to improve the high service in each of your visit.

Again apologize on behalf of Westin staff for the inconvenience you experienced. We hope to see you soon in Westin Camino Real Guatemala.

Very truly yours,

Reviewed 20 July 2014

The best thing about this hotel is it is near to the airport. Let me say I am not lover of big hotels, and this is a big hotel. Whilst we were there they had numerous conferences ongoing. There is a casino attached to the hotel. The hotel is in excellent condition with all the facilities you would expect from a huge place. The staff were helpful. The breakfast excellent.

The wifi is extra - this is rather penny pinching. They even charge for the water!
We decided the hotel restaurant did not offer value for money and voted with our feet.
We did have a cocktail at the bar. This was poorly served and was the sort of thing I would not personally have served to my guests at home- again they were rather pricey.

I was pleased we were only staying there one night.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Ximena R, Gerente at The Westin Camino Real Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your time filling this survey in, it is very important to receive such appreciation from our guests, this help us to improve every day. Thank you so much for your additional comment about our services, we really appreciate to know your feedback. This comment already was sent to responsible departments.

We hope to hear from you soon and please apologize for inconvenient during your stay.