“Nice hotel”

Barcelo Guatemala City
Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Guatemala City
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We checked into this hotel for one night when we arrived in Guatemala City. We were a group of 9 and had reserved 5 rooms. There were 2-3 people checking in before our group and it was late in the evening. The check in process was incredibly slow because there was only one attendant at the desk. When we went to our room and opened the door, we were greeted with a strong stale cigarette smoke odor. We immediately went back to the desk and told the attendant we could not stay in that room. He told us "that is a non-smoking room." My response was "it may well be but someone has definitely been smoking in it". He then graciously gave us another room which turned out to be an upgrade. The room we got was two levels with the living room, mini kitchen, and one bathroom downstairs. There was a spiral staircase leading up to the next level which was a huge bedroom with king size bed and another bathroom. The upstairs was also accessible by the hallway on the 12th floor. The room was very neat and clean and we were very pleased with the upgrade. The amenities at this hotel are amazing and include everything from the usual shampoo to a razor, toothbrush and paste, and a loofah. All in all, once we got settled in our room, we were quite pleased and only gave 4 points due to the check in and smoke issue. A wonderful breakfast was also included in our rate. When we needed to get a room later in the trip, we tried to bo back but they were full. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: At least some of the 11th floor rooms have stairs to an upper level that is the 12th floor so you ha...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
BarceloManager, Gerente at Barcelo Guatemala City, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear WA_Lexy,
Thank you for taking the time to write about our service. We are sorry about the inconveniences during your stay. This will help us to improve our service.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

This was a one night stand while on our way to Antigua. It was recommended by a Guatemalan friend. It is close to the airport, yet we did not hear any planes. We were 2 hours late arriving - so about 12:30 am, yet the Barcelo van met us without delay and was nearly full of passengers. Unfortunately we had to get up the next day to get our transport to Antigua, which was scheduled for 10am. So, not much time to rate all the features. Great choices for the breakfast buffet, including eggs to order. It was a bit slow checking in as only one person was checking in all the arrivals. Yet the hotel must of expected this. A minor glich.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Huskie4.

Thank you very much for sharing the experience of staying at our hotel. We are pleased to know that we have met your expectations.
We hope to see you soon at Barceló Guatemala City Hotel in a longer stay to enjoy all the hotel services.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

Sign up for their frequent traveler program (it's called Barcelo One on One or something). They don't advertise it. You can also get Iberia frequent flyer points, but not American or Copa or Taca (like in the past).

If you're staying more than one night, ask for their exercise class schedule. Also, their laundry service will knock on your door around 8 am if you don't put the Do Not Disturb sign on your door. You can drop off laundry until 11 or so, and it comes back to you in the late afternoon.

Food is excellent, both the buffet & the a la carte, as is the room, the hot tub, and pool. I wish the shower were a little less awkward (there's no way to test the shower water without getting soaked by it).

The airport shuttle is great, but get there early because sometimes it's packed with groups of well-meaning do-gooders & all their luggage.

Usually I have no problems & find it a relaxing stay, but this time I had a couple of issues:
- no hot water on a Saturday morning & a 15 minute wait to get it turned on after I called
- smell of smoke in the closet & bathroom on Sunday afternoon, which I was told someone would check on, and after 30 minutes of waiting I called again & was told that someone was on their way. 10 minutes later I opened the door to find someone standing outside in the hall. Of course the smoker next door was done by then, so there wasn't any smell left, and nothing to be done. A cleaning person was sent to the room 2 hours later to spray perfume around, which I didn't think was necessary, but I think it was the front desk trying to be nice.
- I like to take the stairs down instead of the elevator (healthy & you don't have to wait), but the same person who was standing in the hallway in the anecdote earlier ran after me, down several flights of stairs, to tell me about the existence of the elevators & ask me why I wasn't using them.

Anyway, none of those are deal-breakers, but it shouldn't be hard for a hotel this nice to have consistent hot water, respond when a guest reports smelling smoke in their room, and let you take the stairs.

I'm done venting. You should probably stay here when you're in Guate.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Ksenia V
BarceloManager, Gerente at Barcelo Guatemala City, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Dear Kasenia V

First at all, from Barceló Guatemala City Hotel we would like to thank you for have stayed in our hotel. Also thank for sharing all your experience in Barceló.
We are sorry that during your stay you have suffered these shortcomings. We would like to have fulfilled all your expectations.

We hope to see you soon at Barceló Guatemala City Hotel.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

This grand hotel in Guatemala City, Guatemala combines old-world charm and contemporary luxury. The lobby is strikingly beautiful, the rooms are well appointed with comfortable beds and with all of the amenities you would expect in a 5-Star property. You will find the Barcelo Hotel staff to be friendly, knowledgeable, and very professional. I strongly recommend the bed and breakfast buffet option. The breakfast selections are incredible! For business or pleasure while visiting Guatemala City, I wouldn't think of staying anywhere else!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Dennis J.

Thank you very much for sharing the experience of staying at our hotel with the members of Tripadvisor. We are pleased to know that we have met and exceeded your expectations regarding our services.
We hope to see you soon at Barcelo Guatemala City Hotel.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

My family and I spent a week at the Barcelo Guatemala City in early January. The stay was not only enjoyable but remarkable for the professionalism of the staff. Although I'd give the hotel my own top recommendation, some people see things differently and seem to find complaints with ice-makers that make the wrong-shaped ice, or conditioner that looks like shampoo. My own observations were not enough to compromise my judgment that it's an excellently run hotel.

My wife and I travelled separately, and my twin sons (6) and I were able to check-in early. Without ever being rushed, we were able to kill time in the sportsbar/restaurant while we waited for my wife. When my wife arrived, our multiple WiFi devices (iPads, laptops, Blackberries) exceeded the default limit of two per room. The front desk gave us additional WiFi codes immediately.

The room was quite nice. We were given a balcony room with a view of the pool. We'd also been assured the beds were queen-sized, although I suspect the queens of Central America may be a little smaller than the North. My wife complained that she found the bed hard; having never slept on a bed that was too hard, I couldn't agree, but some people are more sensitive to that than I.

When we realized that the shower door opened inward, making it impossible to assist the boys with their showers, we were given a new room straight away--not a protest, not an eye roll, not even a sigh. (This also ameliorated the disquiet of a balcony room with little boys.)

The heated pool was terrific. One might quibble with what seemed to be an overdose of chlorine, but better red eyes than bacteria. The poolside bar was not open, although I noted the staff cheerfully bringing drinks to loungers by the pool. There is also a sizable hot tub adjacent to the main pool.

In addition to the pool, there was also a full service gym on the premises, as well as (it appeared) a number of options for pilates or aerobics classes, massage--including hot stones (?)--and other physical fitness amenities. We took advantage of the outdoor basketball/volleyball/soccer court. Here again, when my son somehow managed to kick his ball over a 15-foot wall and into an empty lot adjacent to the hotel, the staff was wonderful in running through a subterranean maze the following morning to reach the ingress to the lot and ultimately, retrieve the ball.

The breakfast buffet was included in the price of our room. We had stayed here before in 2005 (when it was the Marriott) and remembered how spectacular the buffet was. If anything, it may be better now. Every kind of muffin, bread, roll or bagel can be had, as well as: several kinds of dry cereal; a chilled fresh fruit bar; yogurt; juices. There is an omelet station that includes tipica add-ins (those one would find at a Guatemalan table) in addition to traditional items like tomatoes, ham, mushrooms, etc. The hot buffet has at least two egg dishes (always including one egg white only dish), bacon, sausage, refried black beans and fried plantains, as well as usually some kind of sauteed vegetables (squash, peppers, etc.). The daily rotation also featured either waffles, french toast, or pancakes (and maybe something else--I can't remember). [I didn't go for those, but my wife did object to the fruit syrup that appeared to have been applied in the chafing dishes, rather than leaving the diners to apply their own syrup or not.]

Guatemala City's not exactly a safe place for nighttime strolling, but the hotel is very close to what's now called the "Zona Viva" according to street signs. It's an area with plenty of restaurants and different options from tipica food to U.S. chains, bar-b-q and even a Swiss restaurant. There is also a McDonald's (with a huge play area) right next door to the hotel. For convenience, we ended up eating a number of dinners in the sportsbar, Strikers, which had a perfectly acceptable kids' menu.

At checkout, as with our mid-stay relocation to the new room, the bell staff was exceedingly efficient, friendly and warm. As we checked out of the hotel, we realized that for an unrelated reason, we would need copies of our passports. The front desk made copies for us free and without suggesting for a moment that it had been anything but a pleasure.

Everyone in Guatemala--be it a restaurant, grocery store, gas station or bank--says "para servirle" when providing assistance. The staff at the Barcelo took this ["at your service"] to the limit. It's as wonderfully run and accommodating as any hotel I've ever stayed.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Polo_Battuta
BarceloManager, Channel Manager at Barcelo Guatemala City, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2016

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about our service and facilities. Your comments will help us to keep improving our service standards. In order to exceed all your expectations in future stays.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

I recently visited Guatemala via Gate 1 travel (the best travel company in my opinion!)
Hotel Barcelo was superb. Their breakfast buffet was excellent and the choices were incredible. I spent the Christmas/New Year week in this hidden jewel. People were very friendly and sincerely wanted everyone to enjoy their country. I recommend this trip and especially with Gate1travel.com!
5 thumbs up!

Room Tip: I stayed at this hotel at the beginning of the tour and returned from Antigua to same hotel. Both s...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ymcclinton
BarceloManager, Channel Manager at Barcelo Guatemala City, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2016

Reviewed 24 January 2014

I usually reserve staying in the Barcelo for the last night I'm in Guatemala. It's conveniently located close to the airport, they have a wonderful gourmet buffet for dinner ($20) and for breakfast, too. The hotel is FIRST CLASS, five dining rooms, excellent service, and free shuttle to the airport. I love staying here! The emloyees all match the stars: 5 STAR.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about our service and share your experience in Barceló Guatemala City Hotel, its always motivating to receive such appreciations from our guests. This will help us to keep our high service standards.

We hope to see you really soon.

Best regards