“Nice hotel, close to airport, convenient”
Review of Hotel Las Americas

Hotel Las Americas
Ranked #4 of 52 Guatemala City B&B and Inns
Frisco, texas
“Nice hotel, close to airport, convenient”
Reviewed 23 November 2012

Nice hotel, got no upgrade but got access to the Club lounge for continental breakfast and happy hour drinks and snacks (being Platinum member). Hotel and staff are great; shuttle service to the airport. Only problem is that I did not find any restaurants close by except fast food (Pollo Campero, Mc Donalds, taco bell etc). Parking was free underground if you are staying there (make sure you get he pass from the front desk). Conveniently close tot eh airport; in fact you can see the runway from the room (see pic)

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alikarim

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Indianapolis
Reviewed 5 November 2012

This is my second time staying at this property. (My first time, about a year ago, I booked a basic room). This time, I spent the extra money for the top-tier "Executive Suite" on the 9th floor. I actually paid for this, rather than anticipate an upgrade based on Platinum Priority Club status.

Big mistake.

The Executive King simply a basic room on a higher floor, at 25% higher price. Upon arrival, I found the room to consist of a bed, a TV, and two nightstands. No desk. No chair. No minibar. No sofabed. No seperate living room....all of which are promised on the hotel's own website when booking the room.

"Wait a minute...did he say no desk or CHAIR?!"
Why yes....yes he did.

Now I spend quite a bit of time (read: money) in IHG hotels. I generally get upgraded to the nicest room available. Not being a snob; it's just a loyalty thing. So I was a little surprised when I found myself paying for the nicest room in the hotel and not even having a place to sit and work. So I walked back down to the front counter and suggested a change of rooms.
"Nope. All rooms are the same and we are fully booked." Later, it was quite obvious they were far from fully booked...as I was one of only 7 guests on the 9th floor...and all rooms are certainly not the same. (I did some snooping.).
I eventually manage to talk them into bringing a desk and chair to my room (910).
Hooray...a chair. My executive suite was beginning to approach the standard of a $39/night Motel 6 room.

The bed was comfortable, though the linens were very low quality and quite scratchy. Lots of pillows, which is always nice. The semi-functional air conditioning unit was very loud and left the floor in front of the window soaked with water...so I just left it off and opened the tiny windows after the first night. I enjoy the sound of airplanes and the weather was cool, so it wasn't an issue for me. Others might find that unbearable.

The maid was great and kept the room spotless. She even noticed a collection of dirty laundry I had accumulated and left a bag and laundry order form on my bed. Although I didn't use it, it was clear she paid attention to her work. Tip your maids, people.

The room aside, the rest of the hotel is quite nice. Lovely pool. Breakfast was good, albeit expensive ($20, or $18 if paid in advance). The 'executive lounge' was inviting although completely bare 90% of the time. The host was very friendly and helpful when present. It will not be staffed or stocked on Sundays or holidays. So don't count on it for breakfast.

Most of the customer-facing personnel spoke English, and the hotel services directory and room service menu was also Spanish and English. The airport shuttle to and from the airport was on time every time, and begins running at 4AM and every 30 minutes.

Lots to eat within easy walking distance, from fast food to high-end fine dining. Always be careful when walking alone...but as far as major Central/South American cities go, the Crowne is in one of the safer neighborhoods. Much better than Caracas or Mexico City. There's a pharmacy, liquor store, bakery and several cafes within two minute's walk, as well as Taco Bell, Burger King and Pollo Campero.

That said, my next trip to GUA will probably be at the InterContinental or a Marriott property. I wouldn't have a gripe if I had booked a basic room at a discounted price. But don't book anything above the cheapest rate; anything above basic simply isn't good value here.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank airmotive
Wrightstown, New Jersey
Reviewed 3 November 2012

Stayed at this hotel for the first time and was very impressed. We used our points and they recognized that it was platinum and moved us to the executive suite. Compared to hotels in the US it could use a little updating on a few things, but overall it was great. The Internet service was a bit slow but compared to every other connection around it was very good. The breakfast buffet was AMAZING! Greatly incorporated to suit a diverse cultures while still providing the typical Guatemalan cuisine. The juices (celery, orange, mango, guava, etc.) were all natural and appeared freshly squeezed. The buffet breakfast was a little pricy at a whopping $19 per person, unless you got a special which we did. They were very willing to work with us. The customer service was great! Caleb Flores from Guest Services helped us several times. He always had a smile and was very patient, as were 99% of the other employees we encountered. The hotel always appeared very clean and our room was nicely cleaned every time. We stayed about 12 nights or so. It was a little noisy on Friday night since the music was playing down at the bar but otherwise every other time we had no problem with the noise even when there was a full house. We travel often and most of the time we stay at Holiday Inn Suites since we use our points and I must say that Crowne Plaza of Guatemala is by far much better on almost every level (even to the toiletries that are provided). They are on the same chain, but definitely not on the same level. Muchas Gracias Crowne Plaza for making my stay a memorable one!:)

Room Tip: The higher the room the better the view of the city. If staying on a Friday night ask for a room in...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Heerhugowaard, The Netherlands
Reviewed 15 October 2012 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel before, good location. The noise from the airport is mimimal to my opinion. Breafast is good, especially the egg station. One down side: the bathroom is really small (stayed at the 8th level). Also, the shower head was leaking and detailing is in need of an update. The beds are good.

• Stayed October 2012
Hopatcong, New Jersey
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Stayed here at the beginning and end of our Guatemala trip. Had paid for a "quiet" room and had to do battle to actually get one. Ended up on the executive floor the first night and on a completely unoccupied floor the last night! Buffet breakfast was excellent. Location good, near airport, can walk to supermarket. Rooms had good water pressure and air conditioning. Ask for the airport side for excellent sunset views.

Room Tip: Ask for the airport side for excellent sunset views.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Nice hotel, old-style decoration. A Casino, a bar and excellent food might turn the staying very pleasant. The gym is great and even thogh I haven't tried, the spa seemed Nice. There's not much option aroud, just fast foods. However the hotel food, especially pasta, is great! Internet on the room was not very good as wifi signal wasn't very high.

• Stayed August 2012
NY
Reviewed 29 August 2012

I spent two nights here last month on free Pointbreaks. I enjoyed the hotel. They had a great complimentary breakfast for members. There was a pool, but I didn't see anyone in it. Free business center with four computers. Staff was very helpful overall, and rooms were great. We walked to Zona 10, which wasn't a bad walk and felt safe overall during the day. I did have a hard time getting in contact with the hotel via email, and I did need to ask at the airport about where to find the shuttle. Besides those two points, I was happy.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family