“Fair hotel with great (but costly) breakfast”
Review of Hotel Las Americas

Hotel Las Americas
Ranked #4 of 53 Guatemala City B&B and Inns
Guatemala City, Guatemala
“Fair hotel with great (but costly) breakfast”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We have stayed a number of times at the Crowne Plaza in Guatemala City. Beds are comfortable, but the rooms are a bit outdated and dark. The bathrooms are tight and dark. The room had only one bottle of water and one cup (for the coffeemaker) and one drinking glass. They did bring up more water for free, but said that they could only bring two bottles (for the two of us) for free. The shampoo and other amenities were not high-end, but more like what I'd expect from a cheap hotel.

The breakfast is delicious with a lot of variety, including custom omelets, meats, cheeses, fresh fruits, platanos cooked two ways, black beans with cream, tamales, breads and sweet breads, and several kinds of juices. The servers are attentive to help with coffee and anything else. The down side is that it is $15 per person, or $25 per couple! Very costly considering this is Guatemala.

Staff is friendly and helpful. Airport shuttle worked fine this trip, though other trips I've had problems, so I recommend always reminding them a day or two ahead of time.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
María Joseé N, Revenue Manager at Hotel Las Americas, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear guest: Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza Guatemala again. I am pleased you did like our service. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you require additional information in this or other matters. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. It's good to know you have enjoyed our breakfast. In fact, we are planning a bedding refresh and we are going to start so soon.

Respectfully,
María Joseé Navarro
Revenue Manager/ Groups and Conventions Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 13 November 2013

My boyfriend and I were excited to find a great deal on our hotel room at the Crown Plaza. It was our last night in Guatemala, and we had been staying in value places the rest of our trip, so we decided to spend a bit more to have a nice ending to our trip. Well, what we experienced turned out to be the least enjoyable night of our trip, as well as a scary experience.
The drama started a couple of hours after we checked in, around 6:00 p.m. We were in our room and we heard a noise at the door. A man in a suit and a piece of luggage opened the door...he had a room key that worked! We were quite surprised to say the least! A couple of moments later we received a call from the front desk asking me to verify my name and passport information. I told them I preferred to go downstairs and do it in person. We decided it would be best if one of us stayed in the room...since someone else obviously had a key to our room!
Less than a minute after my boyfriend left the room, there was a knock at the door. I did not answer, but rather peeked through the keyhole to see who was there. It was a guy dressed in hotel uniform who was trying to open the door! He was signaling to someone down the hall, pointing toward my door and using hand signals to communicate. At this point I was starting to get a bit nervous...I continued to watched through the peephole. Just then, two older men who appeared to be patrons of the hotel approached the guy in uniform asking him to help them with something. With a look of disappointment he went with the men. I noticed another guy dressed in the hotel's uniform was leaning against the wall at the end of the hall, waiting on the other guy to return. Before the first guy could get back, my boyfriend came back to the room. My boyfriend said that the person at the front desk was questioning him about our check-in, who checked us in, what time we were leaving for the airport in the morning, if we were taking the shuttle, etc...He had given them all the information they asked for without hesitation. I told him about the guy at the end of the hall and he went out to confront him about what he was doing there. The guy said they were installing new modems in the room. After 6:00 p.m.??? Installing modems??? We didn't buy his story. The situation was getting weirder...
A few minutes later we received another call from the front desk. This time they were apologizing for the inconveniences. They then sent an insipid, under-ripe fruit plate to our room as an apology for our inconvenience and called a bit later, again, to ask if we'd received it.
We still thought something was not quite right, and considered changing hotels, but ultimately decided to stay since it was so close to the airport.
We felt the hotel's employees were trying to rob us, and I am now pretty certain of it.
The next morning we awoke to a letter saying we needed to go to the front desk and give our credit card information again, as the charges did not go through. We ignored the letter and took the earliest shuttle out of there, a little scared of what might happen if we left at our designated time.
When we got home I checked my credit card statement, and, as we had thought, the room HAD been charged! The employees were indeed trying to get us out of our room to rob us. This is a scary scam. But at least we were able to recognize and avoid it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Michelle L
Dear guest: Thank you for thinking about us for your stay. We appreciate your comments because that is how we can improve our service. We took your comments to improve new actions to satisfy your needs. Please, don´t hesitate to contact us to bring us more information about your stay and offer a reason for each issue which you experienced. My e-mail is mj.navarro@cpguatemala.com.gt.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 6 November 2013

The Crowne Plaza in Guatemala City is terrific. Spacious rooms, excellent services, views of a volcano and the airport (fun for plane spotters!). The beds are comfortable and the Internet is very fast and reliable. It's just several blocks from the main eating/going-out area, the "Zona Viva." However, because of its location, rooms are cheaper than other hotels and taxi rides are $3 to $5 almost everywhere in the city, so it's worth it. I'd stay again but if the Barcelo is the same price, I'd stay there instead.

Room Tip: If you need Internet, ask them to put you in a room near the router for better service.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
María Joseé N, Revenue Manager at Hotel Las Americas, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear guest: Thank you for thinking about us for your stay. We appreciate your comments because that is how we can improve our service. We are ready for your next stay with us and take the opportunity to greet you. We took your comments to improve new actions to satisfy your needs. It is good to know that our staff were friendly. We will make sure to work on it to give you a better service next time.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 18 October 2013

This hotel is old and needs to be updated. The rooms are really dark and some what dreary. The bathroom smelled of mold. The bed sagged on one side and was very uncomfortable. The first room I was given, the door would not lock when you left the room. I discovered this, as I always double check the door when I leave a room to make sure it locks. Due to the broken door lock, I was given another room on a higher floor that was slightly better and a little less dark. On the plus side, the staff is friendly and helpful. The complimentary airport shuttle is clean, efficient and on-time. I give this hotel 3 stars (rather than 2) because it is a good value for the money (less than $75/night) for those who need an overnight stay near the airport. If you are staying more than 1 night, I believe there are better options closer to the city.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Runwayg1irl
María Joseé N, Revenue Manager at Hotel Las Americas, responded to this review, 23 October 2013

María Joseé Navarro Portillo
Tijuana, Mexico
Reviewed 12 October 2013

This hotel has great service and location (in front of the airport). They serve a buffet all day with delicious dishes. The waiters are very attentive and helpful.

Regarding to the room, I believe they need some improvement, it suppose I received an upgraded room but the room wasn't as nicer as the last time I stayed there.

The bathroom was very tight.
I would like to enjoy some time at the pool, but I didn't like that is in front of the restaurant, everybody can see you, and I believe isn't either nice for the people eating at the restaurant.

There are available tours in the lobby, great service and price.

Room Tip: If you have a sleeping problems, you could require a room in the opposite side of the airport . The...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
María Joseé N, Revenue Manager at Hotel Las Americas, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear guest: It's a pleassure to contact you and know that your stay at our hotel was confortable. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you are going to travel again to Guatemala, 'cause the doors of this house always will open to receive you.

Thank you for providing us with your valuable feedback. I'm sorry you were unhappy with the appearance and condition of the property. Your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades. We are working at a bedding refresh and we will ready to receive you again as soon as possible.

Muskego, Wisconsin
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Our group of nine was delayed from Milwaukee to Guatemala City and ultimately, Zacapa Guatemala due to a delay in Milwaukee. We made our way to Atlanta and then Miami, only to arrive in Guatemala City around 9:30 (versus 1:00 pm) CALMS (Central America Lutheran Mission Service) arranged for our group to stay at the Crowne Plaza near the airport. I had stayed at many Crowne Plaza's for business internationally and this location did not disappoint. The bed and ammenties were super comfortable, comforters, great bedding and hot showers (not the norm in Guate). You will be spoiled here. No business center to make copies, but wifi is available.

The restraurant garnered an " interesting " by the group. They are trying to cater to American as well as international tastes. No one got sick, so that is a plus. Great place to stay as they are fluent in english and portugese.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th floor very quiet
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Dear guest: Thank you for thinking about us for your stay. We appreciate your comments because that is how we can improve our service. We are ready for your next stay with us and take the opportunity to greet you. We took your comments to improve new actions to satisfy your needs. It is good to know that you enjoy our restaurant service .

If you are planning another trip to Guatemala, please let me know.

Maria Josee Navarro Portillo,
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 18 September 2013

The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Edgar Alvarez was very efficient and friendly as were everybody else. They are quick to solve problems and anticipate your every need. Best value for money hotel in Guatemala.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
María Joseé N, Revenue Manager at Hotel Las Americas, responded to this review, 29 September 2013

María Joseé Navarro Portillo