“Great staff, comfortable rooms”

Howard Johnson Inn Guatemala City
Ranked #27 of 49 Hotels in Guatemala City
Reviewed 20 March 2014

This is the first time I've stayed at any HoJo's and I had a very pleasant experience. They staff were great and bent over backwards for me. The rooms were stylish and comfortable, the breakfast pleasant, if not generous. I stayed twice. The first room I had was nicer, but was smaller to the point of being a bit cramped. I missed having space in the bathroom to put my toiletries, for example. The first room was also a bit noisier as it was facing the busy Avenida Reforma. The second room was much more spacious and quiet, but lacked any serious windows, so I highly recommend you let them know your preferences when you check in.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank carrache

Reviewed 2 February 2014

We stayed twice at this hotel, we arrived late at night and the shuttle was there to meet us the hotel is not far from the airport. We had a nice room clean and comfortable with very good Internet access. The breakfast was very good you get a full breakfast included in the very reasonable price. The restaurant is very nice the staff were always attentive . We had dinner there on two nights, the only draw back is that it does not have a drink license . We were able to walk to the museum, the avenue Reforma has a walk way in the center. The staff remembered us when we returned and said welcome back. There is a bank very near, to change money and an ATM .would recommend this hotel, to visitors to Guatemala city.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jocelyn D
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Hotel arranged pick up from Guate airport. Hotel in the centre of town easy walking distance from museums. large very comfortable room with huge bathroom and endless hot water. All staff at hotel very freindly and helpfull. Price included an incredibly good breakfast. Check hotel macaws on second floor terrace. Overall very highly recommended at fantastic price.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank chrisintt
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I have stayed at HG's in the USA, Mexico and now Guatemala, and this is by far my favorite property. I choose to stay here for it's proximity to the Mexican Embassy, which I was visiting to prepare my paperwork for my work visa. It was absolutely gorgeous! The value for the price was excellent. It was in a safe area, and the receptionist, Caesar, was so helpful. At the moment of my appointment in the embassy it began to downpour and he lent me his personal umbrella so I could get there on time. Very much appreciated!!! He also arranged for a wake up call for me, and a shuttle to the bus station since I was traveling on Galgos, not by airplane. The morning staff was equally friendly, and the breakfast was excellent. It was a limited cooked to order menu, but much better than a continental. I had eggs, beans, tortillas and orange juice.
The only 2 bad points about this hotel are the noise, since I was in a room that faces the street, and there is no bar. The noise didn't bother me as a single person, I can sleep through anything, but I can see how it would be a problem for families with children. And a bar, well that is just standard in a hotel....
Overall, great stay, and I will stay here again!!!

Room Tip: Ask for one not facing the street if you want a room that is more quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank saratgoo
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Stayed here our first night in Guatemala City. The shuttle driver was waiting at the airport and got us to the hotel very quickly! The room was nice with good shower pressure and in room wifi and tv. The staff were helpful and friendly. Good experience for the price :) We left too early to get the breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Caren_H
Reviewed 3 May 2013

I was staying at the Holiday Inn and due to some scheduling errors they bumped me out and I had to find another place to lay my head. Most every hotel was booked for some convention, but Cesar over at the Howard Johnson hooked it up. He spoke great English and humored me with my high school spanish. I was so excited about finding a place to stay that was more like a family owned operation. The staff was extremely friendly and somehow could understand my broken spanish.

Highlights:
Beautiful tile everywhere
Wifi
friendly staff, called me by name (not the bad ones most people that know me use)
Good breakfast
Huge room
Airport shuttle
Small gym

Lowlights:

The couches in the room were a little worn out
Beds firm/hard
no desk

I'm a fan of the HoJo!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank teerav
Reviewed 28 December 2012

Its a little difficult to find if arriving by car as the hotel rooms are above a small shopping center and the reception area is only one of the 'store-fronts'. However, the rooms are nicely appointed and the 'free breakfast' was delicious and professionally served. The airport shuttle service for our friends who were departing back to the States was timely and efficient.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends