“Excellent Service”

Ranked #23 of 49 Hotels in Guatemala City
Michigan
“Excellent Service”
Reviewed 3 March 2009

We stayed at the HoJo for 1 night and were very impressed with the service. There was a representative from the hotel waiting for us outside the airport exit with a sign with our name on it. Within seconds we were escorted to the waiting van and the free shuttle to the hotel. Checkin was smooth and no surprises.

We had a room with 3 queen beds which was great for our family of four. Our room was good size but I could see the regular rooms being small. The carpet was pretty nasty but overall cleanliness was good.

Breakfast in the morning was included in the room rate and was outstanding. Service was excellent as well in the morning as we were given a free shuttle ride to pick up our car.

Overall I would recommend this hotel. Rooms are not the best but service was outstanding.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Costa Rica
Reviewed 23 December 2008

Worse service ever!

Smelly and tiny room. Too much noise from cars and people coming from the Reforma Ave. Food poisoned in their restaurant. The personnel in the lobby don't know what they are doing and treats you in a rude manner. Shuttle to the airport left late and almost lst my flight.Checking in and out is a nightmare, could not even get a receipt for my stay. I was lectured by Rafael Cruz (incharge of front desk) on how "I don't know anything of how hotels work and forget about my Onepass miles", even if I had booked my stay at Continental.com. Terrible customer service.

Not recommended, not again...

• Liked — Free shuttle to the airport
  • Disliked — All the services were bad
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank Edcartin
West Orange, New Jersey
Reviewed 14 November 2008

This might be a great review if I just stuck to the wonderful staff who were so accomodating, professional, responsible and always delivered on their promises. It might be a great review if I commented only on the prompt FREE airport pickup and return. It meant so much for us to land in a country where we had never been, where our Spanish is virtually nonexistent, and where we've read about a high crime rate, particularly at the airport, to walk out and immediately see a lovely driver with a sign with our name on it, who escorted us to a large clean van and promptly delivered us to the hotel. It might also be great if we noted the rock bottom price which included a hot, cooked to order, substantial breakfast with waiter service, tablecloths and tasty food. The neighborhood would also not warrant a negative review except for its lack of eating options. The hotel does offer a restaurant, where we dined once, but it's nothing special. Although it's not located in the Zona Vive, the Howard Johnson is in a safe neighborhood, close to the US Embassy and a short taxi ride to anywhere a tourist would want to go.

Ok, so the towels are a bit on the thin side. They were good enough. The amenities were nothing special but they were also good enough. And the place was quite clean with maids constantly working in the public areas and doing a nice job on our room.

The place was safe. There were guards constantly on duty.

So, what's the problem? And I do apologize to all those nice people at the HOJO who worked so hard to make us happy. The place looks like something out of a Gothic nightmare. It's very very dark. The newly decorated and large lobby is very uninviting. Dim lights and dark walls make it so gloomy, day or night. The rooms!!!! Oh horrors. The first two we rejected had no windows. Perhaps there was some sort of small glass opening near the ceiling but absolutely nothing you could look out of and the rooms were like midnight......at 1 PM. The third room, a large double, looked out over rooftops. We wanted to see something of GC, not roofs. Turns out all the doubles (at least all the available doubles) either have no windows or face the roofs. We finally compromised and took a single which had a queen sized bed and faced the front. The streets in Zone 9 are very quiet at night so noise was a nonissue. But, the room was small for two and so depressing. Dark. Gloomy. And that's in the daytime. At night with a night table lamp and the overhead lights it was still too dark to read without removing the lampshade. The bed was just so so, certainly nothing to brag about and it was fixed up a la the 1950's with a dark red bedspread. It was made up so the bedspread always touched the clean pillows. I am a maniac about hotel beds and their cleanliness. I don't like a bedspread which I'm positive is cleaned only periodically to be resting on my clean linens. As a matter of fact, I don't like bedspreads..... and neither do most uptodate hotels. The old fashioned wall mounted tv did get a nice variety of stations. The ceiling moldings are worth mentioning only because they were so huge and ugly.

We move into the bathroom. The dark dark tiles on the floors and walls were just another gloomy part of the decor. The shower suffered from intermittent insufficient water pressure and the water never got hot enough. The toilet usually worked. The fixtures around the sink were all wobbly. They gave us two plastic cups on day one and never changed them. They also gave us two bottles of water at checkin but that was only a one shot deal as well.

The hallways were straight from "The Shining", a spooky old Jack Nicholson horror film and the elevator was minute.

So, what is there to stay? If you're budget oriented you'll have a safe stay at the HOJO but if you crave an upscale experience try somewhere in Zona Vive.

Stayed November 2008
2 Thank rojersey
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 12 September 2008

I spent one night at this Hotel in July 2008. Just making a stop-over in Guatemala City, this Hotel was the cheapest option available near the airport among the ones offered by Expedia.

The best point about this Hotel is that they offer free pickup and transportation at/to the airport. I found that very convenient and everything went well.

For the rest, the Hotel is just on par with the standard-quality midrange business hotels. My room was decent though plain and aged. Nothing to be exited about, but ok as a place to sleep. Front desk service was also ok, with courteous and friendly staff.

I found location not that convenient. In the area of the city called "Zona 9", though I realize it is not far from the restaurant and entertainment Zona 10 area, I didn't dare walking around at night and I took a taxi to get me to Zona 10.

My experience with this Hotel is too limited for a definitive opinion but I think I will check some other place in Zona 10 if back in town.

• Stayed July 2008
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 23 May 2008

I checked-in to the HoJo after spending more than three weeks at the Marriott. The Marriott was great, but as my stay ended up being much more lengthy than anticipated, I chose to move to a less expensive place.

Never having been to Guatemala, I was particularly cautious about neighborhoods and crime. The photos that I saw of the HoJo made it look a little dingy, and i could never figure out the neighborhood thing. So I played it safe and initially stayed at the Marriott.

However, while I was staying at the Marriott, I accidentally stumbled across the HoJo while out on a walk. I popped in to check it out. I looked at the lobby, spoke with the manager, and moved into the HoJo the next day. It was a great move! In hindsight, I wish that I'd stayed here from the outset.

Now that I am familiar with Guatemala City, I am quite happy with the surroundings. In fact, the Marriott is probably less than a mile from the HoJo. And the restaraunts, bars, etc., of Zona Viva are just a very short walk from here. I stayed here almost two weeks and was quite happy with the location.

The front facade of the building was being remodeled when I stayed there.

The lobby of the hotel looks like it was remodeled recently -- it is quite nice and comfortable. It is somewhat different from what I am used to in the US, in that it is larger than is typical for this type of hotel in the states. There must be a dozen comfortable sofas where groups of people can congregate, read, or relax.

There is a small cafe on the first floor. Breakfast is included in the room rate. And this is a real breakfast (e.g., eggs, pancakes, cereal, etc.) as opposed to the donuts and coffee that pass for "breakfast" at many places now. They also serve lunch and dinner. The food is very good and inexpensive.

If you wish to eat out, and you should, there are many restaurants within walking distance.

I had a room with a single queen bed. The room was fairly plain, and clearly had been used, but it was comfortable and more than adequate. And more importantly, it was spotless. The same goes for the bathroom - small, but well appointed, and as clean as I've seen anywhere.

The mattress was comfortable, but was nearing the end of it's life. The sheets were clean, but changed only every few days. Towels ARE changed every day. There was a good shower head, ample water pressure, and plenty of hot water.

The hotel has security (as do all good hotels here) and I had the feeling that the staff kept a very close eye on who comes and goes. I had no concerns about my safety or about the safety of the contents of my room while I was gone. After only a day or so, most of the staff knew my name and room number.

I know that they have larger rooms/suites, but I did not see them.

All of the staff was friendly, polite, and helpful.

My room was on the front of the building which is on Avenida de Reforma. If you are a late sleeper, you might ask for a room either on the side or at the rear of the building -- the street is a busy one and traffic starts to build about 6:30AM or so. The noise did make its way into my room. I did not find it bothersome, but I am a deep sleeper and an early riser. Noise is not a problem after dark, as the traffic drops off dramatically an hour or two after dark.

I will definitely stay here again when in Guatemala on business. While great for business, I might not choose it if I return with my family. Actually, let me qualify that statement -- If I planned out being out all day and only staying at the hotel for sleep, I'd be happy to stay here with the family. If, on the other hand, my family wanted to hang around the hotel during the day and just hang out, I'd stay at a larger hotel with more facilities like a pool and gym. In other words, this hotel is a place to sleep -- not a destination in and of itself.

Having said all this, let my summarize -- I think this hotel is an outstanding value, especially for a business traveler, and I will unquestionably stay here again.

• Liked — Overall value -- quality, prices, service
  • Disliked — Internet access only available in the lobby
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank MaDeuce
Boston
Reviewed 27 July 2007

We were so surprised to get off the plane in Guatemala City and see a representative from HoJo's waiting for us. We made the reservation the night before on Expedia and hadn't even told them we were flying in and there they were waiting for us. They provided free shuttle to and from the airport. The staff was very friendly and helpful- recommending good restaurants, setting up shuttles to Antigua, and assisting us with whatever we needed. The complimentary breakfast was great too. The hotel was nicely decorated... and very clean. There is free wireless, but to use their computers, you need to pay a small fee. Overall, a fantastic experience... especially for the price~!

• Liked — Clean, friendly, close to the airport
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank lmas14
New York
Reviewed 1 March 2006

I had a terrible experience at this hotel. You do not have any privacy; the reception is like the police department. I had two friends from the city and we were hanging out and we went to the hotel and we were not allowed to go up to the room. I was told that it was internal policy. Also they told me that my room was for single or married people, so I guess they do not accept that gay people could be marriage. If you are married with kids go ahead, book with them, but if you are single "forget about it"

• Stayed February 2006