“A good basic hotel”

Best Western Plus Hotel Stofella
Ranked #17 of 49 Hotels in Guatemala City
Reviewed 4 May 2013

I stayed at the Best Western Stofella in April 2013. The hotel is located less than a 10 minute taxi ride from the airport in a business and hotel district.
The hotel is quite basic, but very adequate if you want to stay in a relatively inexpensive hotel.
The rooms were quite well appointed and there was plenty of hot water. The rooms were very clean and well kept.
There is free wifi in the hotel, sometimes the signal is pretty weak, but I was able to connect to the internet quite well.
They have a good breakfast with a fairly good selection. They also have an Italian restaurant in the hotel, however, I did not try it.
There are quite a number of excellent restaurants in the area. At night one should always take a taxi. Many of the restaurants have free shuttle services, so phone the restaurant and ask for a pick up. There is a very well known Argentine restaurant close that was very good.
The staff at the front have limited English, but for me they were friendly and helpful. I had no problems with using my credit card to pay for the bill.
I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel for budget minded travellers to Guatemala City.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 9 April 2013

Considering the safe, nice neighborhood and all of the other hotels in this area, we have always found the Best Western Stofella to be the best choice and the greatest value. We have stayed here numerous times and have not yet been disappointed.
I've read some of the other views about poor staff customer service, but again, we have experienced differently. The staff was very friendly and helpful during our recent stay. They went out of their way to secure taxis, make sure we got a crib for our baby (we didn't make prior arrangements), and had packed lunches ready to go when we checked out at 5am. The room was clean and we had no problems with water temperature or pressure (read in another review). They do offer a nice breakfast buffet as well. There is an Italian restaurant on the premises, but we never ate there - there are too many great restaurants to choose from in the neighborhood!
The hotel is located in a safe zone in Guatemala City and there are plenty of restaurants, hotels, nightclubs, and a mall within safe walking distance. We felt perfectly safe walking around with our two young children (ages 1 & 4) during the day.
If/when we are back in Guatemala we will have no hesitations in staying here again.

Room Tip: Try to choose a room on the main floor as the elevators can be slow.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Melssel
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We stayed on our first night in Guatemala It is in the business district-large room,good breakfast buffet. not much character but fine for a couple of nights.water was only lukewarm but this is normal for Guatemala apparently

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank priscillaBath
Reviewed 14 February 2013

I stayed in this Best Western Stofella for one night on an OAT tour of Mayan Ruins. The hotel is located in the Zona Viva, a relatively safe tourist section of the city surrounded by many other upscale hotels and a good choice of restaurants within walking distance.

The lobby and rooms were nicely furnished and decorated. The beds were comfortable. The included buffet breakfast was good. I have no complaints about this hotel and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 January 2013

I stayed at this hotel on 20 Dec 2012 with OAT tour. Unfortunately , I had a retinal detachment and had to return on 26 Dec. The surgery was successful . My first room 319 had dirty carpet, and an intermittent urine smell which I finally figured out was only occurring when the AC was on. Also, construction was being done every day. I was in pain and nauseated, fairly normal, but had to put up with banging every day. When I felt well enough to ask for a room change, room 101 had clean wood floors and was quieter even though the window opened to the Taxi area.
I had assumed that I would be charged the same room rate as the 20 Dec stay. But no, I was informed by OAT on 8 Jan that I would receive only $5 off the top rate. Best Western must believe in gouging the sick. I tried to speak to the manager, Estuardo Pivaral on both 9&10 Jan. but he avoided a man to man meeting. I left the hotel on 10 Jan.
Other than the manager, my experience with the staff at the hotel was great. The staff was always very helpful to this very ill customer. The Guatemala people are very friendly and I enjoyed the visit until I went blind. The surgeon was great and my vision is slowly returning.
Robert Kenny MD

Room Tip: Inside room is quieter providing you are out of the hotel during the day when construction is on goi...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 January 2013

We stayed in the hotel for two night. Unfortunately we did not have water in the bathroom for a whole day... and according to the guy at the reception the water was supposed to be back just in the next 10 mins. Apart from that, the room was quite big, the bathroom large, and the breakfast very good.

The hotel is located in the hotel-district, so there are plenty of turist/foreigners restaurants/bars in walking distance.

We booked through expedia, and the taxes added into our bill were higher then expected (10% more).

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 December 2012

Stayed one night on tour. Had plenty of hot water and room was clean. Breakfasts were adequate. Service staff at hotel very cooperative. Location was good enough for our purposes.
Nice woodwork and pretty orchids for decorations.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple