“Worth the visit” 4 of 5 bubbles

US$70.00*
and up
Full-Day Guatemala City Sightseeing Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: The National Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology is a public institution and is part of the Directorate General of Cultural and Natural Heritage. Protects and disseminates the most important collection of archaeological artifacts of Mayan Culture, as well as a collection of ethnological material showing the cultural diversity of Guatemalan society. The permanent exhibition occupies 3500 square meters including pieces of jades, pottery, textiles and masks. Two rooms for temporary exhibitions present general topics of Mayan Culture and Guatemalan Archeology.
Isle of Palms, South Carolina
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Worth the visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

A good collection of various artifacts,some quite stunning. Our visit was too brief,but so glad we went. If you want to see Mayan,you should stop here.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank GEORGE H

Raleigh, North Carolina
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Loved it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

If you are used to perfect museums in other places, you could find some fault with curatorial details such as pedestal color and lighting. However, I give them a top score because I am in love with the art & culture of Guatemala -- and the museum did a fine job of teaching more about these topics.

1 Thank Delphine D
Manhattan Beach, California
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“quite extensive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Of course they charge us tourists more than locals, but its less than $10, and you can easily spend 3 or 4 hours here. The collection is very large and quite broad, only lacking some English references, but you can get by.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank sander s
Banff
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 177 helpful votes
“Unable to view most important jade pieces.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

I visited this museum on my last day in Guatemala, which happened to be a Sunday. While I enjoyed my visit and I understand why foreigners are charged ten times more than locals, I am giving this museum a terrible ranking in order to hopefully give museum officials motivation to not remove and lock up the most important artifacts on the weekends. While part of the jade display was present at the front of the museum, some items were missing, presumably locked up with the jade masks in a vault further on in. I was nicely told to come back Tuesday. I don't know what kind of problems this museum may have in showcasing these items on the weekend. It certainly was not busy while I was there. The museum is, however, better than one I visited in Campeche and Honduras. Spanish reading knowledge critical. Was told there were no guides available at reception. Employees I spoke to were very nice.

3 Thank sekaitraveller
Graniteville, South Carolina
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great Staff Historian Makes Tour more Informative”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

I and my brother visited the museum on Friday, March 14, 2014, and found that staff Historian, Glenda Castillo, to be most helpful and informative is explaining the archaeological displays which were fantastic. She was very hospitable, polite, and knowledgeable of all Mayan historical topics. My thanks to Glenda and the entire museum staff; they made my visit memorable.

In admiration,