“Excellent Budget Hotel!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Spring

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Guatemala City
Hotel Spring
Ranked #31 of 47 Hotels in Guatemala City
El Remate
“Excellent Budget Hotel!!”
Reviewed 20 August 2011

We had business in the city and needed a budget place to stay for 4 nights. We both agree that the Hotel Spring was an excellent choice.

The Location was perfect. It was easy to get to all of our appointments, and it is within a couple of blocks of the Sexta ... the new downtown walking mall that connects to Guatemala's Central Park. I at no point felt that we were in any danger, although, this IS Guatemala City, so we did take the precaution of carrying nothing but a small amount of cash to pay for dinner, and we were back in the hotel by 9:30 pm.

The Hotel is old and still had a lot of the beautiful old detail like tall skinny hinged-doors, about 20' high ceilings with beautiful mouldings and traditional inner courtyards with lots of plants and seating. It is clean and I didn't see any insects (as was mentioned in a previous review). It was not as well maintained as it could be with investment dollars, but at $25 per double, it would be very difficult to do that.

The Service was excellent. The personnel were friendly and courteous and always helpful.

I like that it includes cable tv, indoor parking and water bottle refills.

I would definitely return to this hotel when i an in the city.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank ixcanaan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Panajachel, Guatemala
Reviewed 18 August 2011

Hotel Spring takes the prize for having among the tallest doors and windows of any hotel in the world—a hint of its faded elegance. I paid 104 quetzales ($13) for a single with shared bath. That bathroom was far down the hall, but had real hot water showers (not the lukewarm “suicide” type). The maid staff was willing to change sheets and towel every day if I wished. My room faced the street, which was noisy all night long and rose to cacophony about 6:00 a.m.

Hotel Spring is in zone 1, the faded and decrepit original center of the city. Residents with means have moved south, so the more interesting restaurants, bars, and shops are some distance away. You can walk about six blocks to catch the TransMetro, a superb bus system with two routes that cover the newer parts of town. Also, Sixth Avenue in zone 1 is being renovated as a pedestrian-only area, and shows promise of being the nucleus of a Zone 1 revival. It’s 5-6 blocks from the Spring.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the noisy street.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Raymundo02
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 28 February 2011

We paid about $25 US for a double, which was clean and convenient, for our last night in Guatemala. The hotel is just a couple blocks off the main walking boulevard between the city square and parks. It's also just 5 blocks from the ADM bus terminal, which we took overnight to Tikal. The Hotel Staff watched our bags for the last day, as they also run the front desk and the secure door to the hotel. It's an older hotel, which means it's a little rough around the edges, but the old wood and historic charm make you feel comfortable. There's a nice courtyard in the center, open to the sun, with great free WIFI. Lots of free drinking water stations to fill up bottles or glasses. We loved the place. P.S. There's free coffee in the morning and they have a place open for breakfast, but you can go to the boulevard for lunch and dinners.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank PeaceProphet
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 20 July 2009

I arrived late at Hotel Spring after finding that my first choice, Hotel Fenix, had closed. Spring had a double room available for 250Q ($31 USD) -- way over my initial budget, but I just wanted to get a night's rest. The building is old and unrestored, but you can see how it was once a grand hotel. The rooms ring several lush, open-roofed courtyards, providing ample hangout space. Wifi is available, as is breakfast and helpful English-speaking desk service. My room had a vaulted ceiling, hanging plants, a television with 20+ channels, towels, soap, hot water and several electrical outlets.

This is not a luxury hotel, but it is a clean, quiet, traveler-friendly place located in a building of great architectural interest that delivers a good amount of value. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank Continental_Op
USA
Reviewed 25 March 2009

I have to laugh at the person who thought this was a luxury hotel and left a bad review. As they say, low expectations, high serenity. No, Hotel Spring is not luxury. It is, however, a pretty good bet for staying in Guatemala City at a decent price. The central courtyard is pretty, and the gentlemen who worked the front desk were friendly, engaging and helpful.
I liked the location as it was easy to get to the Autobuses del Norte station, which was just down the street, and it was also an easy walk to the Parque Central and market area. It's also just around the corner from the impressive central post office. The rooms have potential underneath some less-than-inspired decor choices, and the hot water was more like a trickle than a shower, but it was fine, really. There's a cafe that serves breakfast, and Internet is available at certain times. If you're a budget traveler, it's worth a look!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wanderingmarmot
Cordoba
Reviewed 7 February 2008

On Januar this year my husband and I decided to travel around Central America, one of our stops was Guatemala City as we organized the trip,ourselves we booked several of our hotels by using the website. Hotel Spring was one of them ... on the trip advisor there isnt any photos; but they have a website and they describe the luxury bedrooms they looked ok to us, but we wanted a middle range one. When we arrived to the hotel at one o´clok in the morning and very tired, Mr Miguel answerd the door and told us the only room available was a LUXURY ...one it was a very little diference so we took it!! But when we arrived there .....It was the worst hotel i ever been in my entire life!!! dirty old, cucaraches dead everywhere , and when we complain, they told us that it the owners fault, and the employes have already told them that many people complain. Besides is not a very good area for a foreing to stay !!!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank valeriayMarcos

Travellers are raving about these Guatemala City hotels

Puerto Rico
Reviewed 26 March 2007

I have been a regular guest , on and off since 1986, and this last Christmas was spent all around Guatemala but keeping the Spring as the home in Guate. The facilities are very pleasant, clean rooms, good breakfast, and above average services. This hotel is well located near the business and government centers in the Historical sector of the Capital. Transportation is available at all times and the place very secure. There is a new section which has been added following the colonial architecture of this old mansion. I hope the Spring will manage to keep this atmosphere even if it keeps growing. To my good friends in the Spring from Franklin in the front desk to Doña Fide in the CAFETERIA, I want to express my deepest love and admiration for a happy stay there with my wife. God bless Guatemala.
Ricardo Cotte

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Beds need to be replaced by more comfortable ones.
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Pinalejos