“Cute, interesting, comfortable, friendly”

Posada Belen Museo Inn
Ranked #13 of 49 Hotels in Guatemala City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Memphis, Tennessee
“Cute, interesting, comfortable, friendly”
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Posada Belen is a homey break from the rest of Guatemala City. The staff was exceptionally friendly and attentive. The food was excellent. Make sure you dine in at least once while you stay there. The big breakfast table is a great place to connect with other travelers. Spend your down time browsing hundreds of archeological relics throughout the place, or while away your afternoon on the lush patio journaling, spotting orchids, and maybe finding the ellusive turtle that also lives there. Our room had two double beds and one single. It was clean and comfortable. As a bonus, they provide you with water you can actually drink!

Room Tip: Some rooms have 3 beds if you're traveling in groups.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Portales, New Mexico
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I really enjoyed my stay in Guatemala City. I liked to feel safe and welcome at Posada Belen, the experience was different. I could sit and watch the blue sky or go out and walk to do some shopping. Everywhere is so close! I highly recommend everybody to try this neat hotel that I am sure you will like too.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank MariadelCarmen M
Harlingen, TX
Reviewed 5 March 2013

For my multi-stop trip across Guatemala, I chose Posada Belen Museo Inn for my brief stay in Guatemala City based upon the Lonely Planet Guatemala guidebook, as well as the reviews provided here on TripAdvisor by former guests.

E-mail communication with hotel personnel regarding a reservation was fast and easy. In order to secure my reservation, I was instructed to pay $63 ($43 for the first night + $5 for the first breakfast + $15 for the transfer from the airport) through the hotel's website. This was a little difficult, as the hotel's payment interface is a bit crowded and clunky due to a lot of different boxes to check and numbers to enter. However, I eventually checked the correct boxes and entered the correct numbers, and sent the hotel the requested $63 through their PayPal account. Before I departed for Guatemala City, I sent the remaining $48 ($43 for the second night + $5 for the second breakfast) through PayPal to the hotel. This was very convenient, as it allowed me to avoid credit card foreign transaction fees or carrying more currency than I needed to.

When I arrived at the airport and exited the main doors, the driver was waiting for me and holding a sign with my name on it, and quickly brought me to the hotel.

Both mornings, I was given a choice of two breakfasts, and both days, I chose the Tipico: Eggs (fried or scrambled), toast with butter, red beans, a slice of fresh cheese, cooked sweet bananas, orange juice, and coffee.

My room featured a comfortable bed with great sheets and huge, fluffy pillows. However, the comforter on the bed (both beds, in fact) looked a little ragged and dirty. The curtains on the window in the room also looked a bit dirty, as if they had never been taken down and washed. And the window in the room didn't open to the outside, but rather opened to the interior courtyard of the hotel.

The room was dimly lit, with no television, telephone, clock, or air conditioning. Only a small, table-top box fan circulated the air in the room. There was a safe in the room, but it was located in the floor under a table and between the two beds. Some surfaces in the room had a fine, black dust/dirt/silt/soot. A pitcher of purified water and several drinking glasses were provided.

In the bathroom, the towels were thin, and some were yellowed with stains. Hot water in the shower was difficult to obtain. The shower featured a funky lever and tube system, and it appeared to me that hot water was created by a heating coil (?) attached to the top of the shower head. I felt like Mario the Plumber each time I took a shower, trying to adjust the levers to get the hot water to work!

The hotel is a convenient short walk to the Parque Central and its nearby sights.

Internet was available for guest use at a common computer in the dining room for a fee of $2 per hour.

Checkout at the hotel was easy, and the staff called a taxi for me so that I could move on to my next stop in Guatemala.

If given the chance, I would not stay at Posada Belen Museo Inn again in the future. Although the staff was very friendly and helpful, the issues that I described above would cause me to seek other lodging in Guatemala City should I return there in the future.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank weatherman1974
Gozo, Malta
Reviewed 26 February 2013

We reviewed the Posada Belen in 2007. We have visited it five times more since then and we have no reason to change our opinion: it is still the oasis of calm, charm and security in the heart of Guatemala City. The owner, Francesca, will organise trips all over Guatemala for you, making sure you get the best prices and most convenient routes. It is a real pleasure to work with her. The staff at the Posada Belen are as helpful and charming as ever. We have been to Guatemala for eleven years; the Posada Belen is always our first port of call. We have no regrets.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 22 February 2013

We enjoyed our stay here and felt it was a safe and quiet place to stay. The staff had a fun sense of humor and were very helpful. They provided airport pickup, a must in this city. The posada is full if museum quality artifacts so take time to browse around. It is also close to the main promenade which is fun to walk during the day. We were there on a Sunday so not sure if it is like that during the week. Enjoy.

Room Tip: All rooms are on the courtyard and open to a sweet garden.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Fallbrook, California
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Nice place to stay especially when leaving Guatemala, peaceful and quiet place before having to get back to American culture. No TV. Food is very good, but kind of expensive. Staff is very friendly and helpful, they can arrange pick-up/drop off at the airport or bus terminals etc. The neighborhood is not the greatest, but you really don't want to stay in Guatemala City any longer than you absolutely have to.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
New Britain, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 February 2013

I always stay at the Posada Belen when I am in Guatemala Ciy, I sigh with relief when I get there after a sometimes grueling flight. I love the staff, they've become good friends of mine. The beds are fine and I had plenty of hot water every time I showered. The atmosphere is very charming and I love the tiny courtyard with the tortugas in residence.
While it is totally different to a 'Holiday Inn,' the ambience is worth it. I will keep going back to Pasada Benen.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends