“A haven in the City”

Posada Belen Museo Inn
Ranked #16 of 49 Hotels in Guatemala City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 21 January 2014

This place offers a quiet respite for the weary traveler. The food is home-cooked, the staff is friendly, helpful and caring and the price is unbeatable. I met with the Doña and she was a gracious, welcoming hostess. This posada is located within walking distance of the main attractions in Zona 1, and they use their own personal (and safe) taxi service. This hotel is securely locked and watched over by the wonderful staff. The interior is exquisitely decorated using Mayan artefacts. The dining, the patio, the corridor are all pleasing to the eye. This place does not have TV, but the rooms all have wifi. And you can have your clothes hand-washed! When I return to Guatemala City I will stay here again.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank theobied

Reviewed 13 January 2014

My daughter and I stayed at Posada Belen right before Christmas and we made arrangements with the owners Rene and Francesca Sanchinelli to have a taxi pick us up ( it was part of the services offered to customers at an extra fee). We e-mailed them 2 days in advance to confirm the trip and Mr. Sanchinelli wrote back "No problem, the taxi will be waiting for you". Well, we were on time and spent more than two hours waiting for the "taxi", called the hotel a couple of times and nobody picked us up. We ended up taking another car service. Their employees at the hotel were really nice but they explained that it was the owner who did the arrangements and we NEVER heard an apology from him. Rene and Francesca Sanchinelli knew of the the problem, because we were told so and they could not be professional enough to call us while we were there or write to us afterwards. In fact we never met them or heard from them once in Guatemala. Not a way to conduct business! Not going back.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Kittykat214
Reviewed 9 January 2014

The Posada Belen Inn is not fancy but the rooms are clean, nicely decorated and Francesca who owns the place with her husband, is an absolute gem. I was traveling on my own for the first time and quite nervous about coming to Guatemala after everything I had read on line before coming. Francesca set up my whole trip for me which included a stay at her hotel, three times during the 10 day trip, and it was a wonderful trip. I can't say enough about Francesca and her staff, all of whom were very warm and friendly. If you are looking for a fancy hotel with lots of amenities, this is not the hotel for you, but if you are looking for somewhere where you are made to feel like family, which is clean and safe, I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I slept in three different rooms and they were all good
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 January 2014

This place was great. The hotel was adorable, hot showers, friendly staff. Good location if you want to walk around Zona 1. Just a heads up, when I was there breakfast was a bit pricey (almost twice the price elsewhere) so we just wandered around town instead, but overall, very happy with this choice.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2014

As the name of the hotel says, the hotel itself is like a museum. Colonial-style building and nicely decorated rooms.. And there are many materials from archeological sites maybe of Mayan ruins. Staff are also very friendly with warm hospitality. I strongly recommend this hotel especially when you visit Guatemala for the first time.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I stayed at the Posada Belen for a few weeks in the Spring of 2013 for work. Because I used to live in Guatemala City (just a few blocks from the Posada Belen!), I rarely had a reason to stay at any hotel. However, this time I really fell in love with this cozy and hospitable inn. It is a far cry from the ultra-modern hotels you will find in Zone 9 or 10 of the city, however. This is a lower-key, bed and breakfast style, colonial Guatemalan home. Much better, in my opinion.

Francesca and the rest of the staff are incredibly friendly and helpful. They went out of their way to make me (and the rest of the guests) feel at home. The food was also heads above the food I have had in other hotels in Guatemala--a bit pricey, true, but worth it from time to time.

There is a dining room as well as several other tables surrounding the flower-filled patio where meetings can be organized too, if necessary. Again, the staff was very helpful and flexible with our needs.

I would absolutely recommend this as a home base in Guatemala City. The other travelers I met there had returned time and time again. They also host small university or NGO groups who come back year after year to the Posada Belen, which leads me to believe that the level of service is consistently good! I will definitely be coming back, even if it is just to say hello to the great staff.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 December 2013

They sent a trusted taxi for us, the style is homey situated right in Zona 1, close to everything, it is a good place to stay. The staff is helpful and the interior of the hotel feels more like a home than a hotel

Room Tip: use internet to book, they actually have a very good web site for travelers.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family