Posada Belen Museo Inn
Ranked #15 of 49 Hotels in Guatemala City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I went to Guatemala on 4 days notice this past winter. The folks at Posada Belen not only picked me up at the airport after midnight, they opened the kitchen and made me a wonderful meal when we arrived.

I love to take photos, so I gave the owner/operators (Rene & Francesca) an idea of what I was looking for in my trip. They graciously helped me craft my 14-day trip itinerary, and I'll always be grateful!

You can see my trip photos here: http://tinyurl.com/2014GUAT

They also hooked me up with a nice guy (Vinicio) who had a car that I was able to commission for 2 days near the end of my stay.

While I only spent a few days/nights at the hotel, it was perfect--and I LOVED my room. Great food, free wireless, super friendly & helpful staff, I strongly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Guatemala City. Spend a night and you'll see for yourself. Two thumbs up.

Bradford Duplisea, Canada

Room Tip: Tell them you want "Patch Adams" room. He's an actor in the movie of the same name sta...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Duplisea

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We stayed for two nights at Posada Belen in May 2014. It is a homey, clean, and friendly place on a quiet street not far from the central square in Guatemala City. The rooms are quite large and well-appointed, comfortable beds. They are all off the central hallway on the first floor. There is a nice small courtyard where you can sit and read, and a cozy dining room. The hotel is decorated with paintings from the Comalapa area. The home is well over 100 years old, so if you prefer shiny new chain hotels you might be disappointed. But we all loved it, and the service was great. We only ate breakfast there, and it was fine. Did not eat dinner. They have adequate wireless service here.

Room Tip: The rooms all seem nice, but for a little more quiet and privacy ask for Nos. 10 or 11.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank BachataGuy
Reviewed 2 May 2014

If you, like me, are somewhat afraid of what you have heard about Guatemala City, then in all likelihood, you may never venture beyond the confines of your hotel or nearby mall.

Staying at the Posada Belen Museo has given me a new perspective on the historic district of Zona 1. Staying here will force you to go out into the streets a few blocks and experience Sixth Avenue in the heart of the old city.

It is a place to walk, if walking is what you enjoy. It is safe, but like anyplace else, it pays to be aware of your surroundings. You will find that you can get a glimpse of the inner city with little effort.

The Posada is owned by Francesca who is both cordial and welcoming. She is very accommodating and so is her staff. Wake up calls and cabs were not a problem.

The rooms are not cramp, but somewhat dark as they rely mainly on fluorescent bulbs. The bathroom are clean and there is plenty of hot water. Aside from the few zancudos (mosquitoes) which were dispatched with an electric wand and spraying, it has been quite trouble free.

My suggestion is to stay here rather than an expensive place like the Westin El Camino though if you want some luxury then by all means head for the Grand Tikal Futura rather than the Westin. My last experience at the Westin about ten days ago was a total disaster with no one at the front desk, no bellmen, no record of my reservations, poor service at the main dinning hall and finally, a cadre of workmen banging on my ceiling all morning and with no warning from the front desk. This will not happen at the Posada Belen Museo.

Rest well. It is good for a couple nights rest either after you arrive or before you leave Guatemala City.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Eraldo7411
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed at the Posada Belen Museo twice in January. and found it great. When we first arrived, we were expected, and were greeted by name by the friendly staff. The hotel is comfortable and homely, an oasis in a rather seedy looking neighbourhood. Our room was clean and comfortable - all the rooms open onto the interior courtyard, which includes a little garden alcove with table and chairs to relax in. This is not a chrome-marble-and-mirrors style hotel - if you want that, there are plenty of characterless modern hotels available.

The staff were all very helpful - our airport pickup was arranged by email before leaving home, and the staff arranged a shuttle-bus pick-up from the hotel to go to Panajachel, and return, and a day-trip by taxi to Antigua (very little more cost than by shuttle bus, but with much more flexibility.)

The staff gave us a map, with a route to walk marked out on it. The assured us it was safe, so off we went.The streets were almost deserted, with a few dodgey looking locals hanging around, but we did not have any problems. Once we arrived at the pedestrian precinct at the top of the hill we felt safer as it was full of people out for their Sunday stroll. It was however a little disconcerting to see, in almost every shop, even Burger King & Wendy's, a security guard just inside the door armed with a pump-action shotgun!

We had our meals at the hotel - very nice home-cooked style local food.

Our only disappointment was that we didn't get to meet Francesca - she must have been having a day off when we were there.

We would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mungle
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My husband and I stayed in the Posada Belen as it was booked for us by our tour guide months in advance. We expressed to him that we wanted to stay somewhere affordable, clean, and close enough to family. We were very pleased with the outcome as it exceeded our expectations.

The exterior of the inn was very simple with iron bars on the windows much like the rest of the street, however the inside decorations and artifacts easily made up for any drab feelings of the exterior. The decorations were lovely and there were some great seating areas within the common area to relax and maybe read a novel or chat with friends or other travelers. Also, not being used to the climate of Guatemala, it was a little surprising having the inside of the inn exposed to the fresh air, but it was wonderful in the mornings and the evenings with the cool, dry climate and breezes.

After traveling much of the rest of Guatemala on our trip, I was also surprised that this hotel offered ionized, filtered water by the pitcher instead of only bottled water like in the other hotels we stayed at. The staff was very accommodating with our requests for water, for wake-up calls, to use the telephone, enquiries about nearby stores, and leaving/entering at varying hours of the night/morning. They were also very kind to let us keep some luggage there during the day when we made an excursion to Tikal and were going to return. Additionally, sleep was very important with all the traveling we did. My husband (a very light sleeper) and I got the best sleep at Posada Belen knowing that we were safe and taken care of.

We also had a typical Guatemalan breakfast there every morning which was always filling and delicious. We only had dinner here once (due to family engagements), but we had a very tasty fish dinner that was well prepared.

For our next trip to Guatemala, we will not hesitate to book here again!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pharmlife
Reviewed 24 April 2014

There's a rich beauty and unspoken love in this place. For starters, the hotel is in an historic area of the Capital, where many of the buildings hold centuries of history (many of the buildings here are forbidden from being remodeled). Many of the old buildings are reminiscent of Spanish-style architecture (open on the inside, iron bars on the outside).

The entire hotel experience was nothing short of wonderful. Everyone from the owners to the staff were courteous, friendly, and supremely helpful in all things (from finding locations, making local calls, carrying luggage, making off-hours meals). One can tell that everyone here loves what they do and the people they serve.

The hotel is adjacent to what appears to be some police outpost (we stayed in this hotel 5 nights and the police cars were there all the time). Although the statistics show high crime rates in the capital, one must also travel wisely (not wearing a lot of flash, and asking the tour guides where and when it’s safe to take out cameras). Overall, it’s not scary, and if you’re intelligent, you’ll have a good mind for personal safety (do’s and don’ts); and if not, simply ask and anyone will be happy to tell you.

We arrived for Holy Week (the time between Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday) and in 2014, this time was a bit warm, but a few fans and cold water (their water is filtered and purified) did the trick (we came from Florida so it was much cooler for us than we’re accustomed to). The tour guide told the hotel we’d be coming for our honey moon and the staff had hand-made a rose-petal decoration (I imagine it took half an hour at least) for us, and they gave us a delicious bottle of wine (normally I don’t like Merlot, but this Peruvian wine was delicious). The breakfast is amazing (the “plato tipico” or typical plate).

They thought of everything in this hotel: for instance, if the solar-heated water runs out, they also have electric water heaters so you’re never without a shower. Even the maid is honest. I had left Q.5 for her for making the beds and not knowing, she left the money there for us because we didn’t tell her anything.

I wish there were more than 5 points to give the hotel, because I’d give them over 100%. Hopefully we can come back some day and we’ll definitely be staying here over and over again.

Room Tip: Tell the hotel staff what you're traveling for (family, business, couples) and they will accommo...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank guate6
Reviewed 8 April 2014

This place was awesome. I had the chance to enjoy the hospitality and all the people that work there are simply awesome. The place is great, the food is great, the decoration is great, service is great, everything is great and the greatest are the fantastic people shoe work there and shoe took care of my friends and I as I was part of their family.
Highly recommended.