“Beautiful place, nice service”

Posada Belen Museo Inn
Ranked #12 of 49 Hotels in Guatemala City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Honduras
“Beautiful place, nice service”
Reviewed 10 January 2009

I spent the last 2 nights in Posada Belen. Just like other reviewer said, the location is not easy to find...even the shuttle bus driver took 10 minutes around the corner since there are two calle 13 "A". But the people there are very nice and talked to you like family and even helped to correct my poor Spanish:P The atmosphere is like a small, old museum. You can see many traditional handicrafts and books of Maya culture around the public area. And the restaurant is also full of decoration. In the daytime you can hear the local music from the kitchen and feel relaxing. The bathroom is small but clean and artistic. All equipment are not new but with the taste of time. And there are five big turtles in the garden... so cute! As a single traveller, I also chatted with some tourists while having breakfast. The surrounding area out of hotel is empty and dirty so you'll feel dangerous but I think all the city center in central america is quite the same situation. You have to be careful to walk alone outside everywhere, not only in zone 1. I chose the location for their interior design and geographical convenience to central (also within the budget). By the way 3 blocks away is the "train museum" (Museo Ferrocarril) which is worthy to visit...I spent an hour there. The owner, Francesca, is very kind and considerate for arranging the transportation. The taxi driver they introduced even taught me the
history of Guatemala and sang traditional songs for me on the way...I really like the people here!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank peggylee722

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
San Francisco
Reviewed 9 January 2009

We stayed in the Posada Belen at the end of a 13 day trip to guatemala. We were a bit fearful of staying in the city since all the reports from people we met along the way were a little discouraging.... dirt, smog, crime, etc. The hotel was a beautiful oasis for us. The place is impeccably decorated - Mayan artifacts, masks, a pretty mural in the dining room and a lovely inner courtyard with a fountain (and 5 little turtles to boot!). It was like being invited into someone's private traditional home. The staff was very kind and helpful. I enjoyed hearing the cook sing while he was making our awesome dinner (one of the best of our trip!). They arranged transport to and from the airport as well as transportation to an archeology museum. Our limited sight-seeing (some colonial buildings and the main market - which was done better in every other city we visited!) was uneventful (thankfully). Just don't carry your camera, your bag and bring little money. We used the in-room safety deposit boxes and had no security concerns inside the hotel. All the staff were charming and accommodating. We took the opportunity to relax and unwind and did not go out at night in the city. The candle lit interior of the hotel made this enjoyable!! If you find yourself in Guatemala City for whatever reason I would recommend Posada Belen.

• Liked — Interior, kind staff.
  • Disliked — Tough city over-all.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jen227
NY
Reviewed 4 January 2009

While I had a wonderful time in Guatemala, my least favorite part was the capital city, in particular the Hotel Posada Belen. I found the Hotel Posada Belen through their website and had used their travel agency services via Guateweb.com; as I moved through Guatemala, it became obvious that I was overcharged for the accomodations and transport provided. Not allowing this to deter my enjoyment of this wonderful country, I ended up at the Posada Belen, a dark and dingy hotel in a very unsavory part of Guatemala City. I walked six blocks to the nearest restaurant, passing several armed guards on my way. Francesca (the owner) seemed to have one interest - the almighty CRISP American dollar. After I was left at the airport for over an hour due to transport arranged by Francesca, I came back to the hotel for dinner only to be summarily ignored by her. The hotel itself left much to be desired; while I feel that the staff was cordial enough, I was asked to pay in dollars for everything and beer cost the most at the Posada Belen than anywhere else that I visited in the entire country. In addition to its undesirable location, the hotel seemed to be the only sign of life on the entire block. I know that this review may sound like sour grapes; however, I found Guatemala to be inspiring and its people welcoming. I wish that I could say the same for the Hotel Posada Belen.

• Liked — leaving it!
  • Disliked — the 'management'
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
4 Thank senor820
new york
Reviewed 1 January 2009

Guatemala is a wonderful country full of stark contrasts and absolute beauty - we had an amazing trip and I would highly recommend it. I would not however recommend the Posada Belen. I did not find the warm welcoming place of other reviewers - I found a dark, somewhat dirty place in a horrible location. We expected the city to be grimy and were prepared for that - we were not prepared for the fact that the buildings nearby had graffitied walls and doorways smelling of urine - unlike some other reviewers, we left the hotel and walked around the area. We later saw other parts of the city on our trip and though it is indeed not the prettiest of cities, it does have its nicer areas with lots of small hotels. The place seems to be run by the pleasant staff - the owners were rarely seen, we found that it served the most expensive beer of our whole trip, the dollar is the preferred currency, and our bathroom had black mold and a blocked drain. On the positive side It does have some interesting furniture and pottery on display.
Everywhere else we stayed in Guatemala was great, bad showers in all of them but clean and friendly.

• Liked — pottery and furniture
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank trubshaw
Vancouver
Reviewed 28 October 2008

I recently led a group delegation (of 9 people) to Guatemala City and we stayed a full week at Posada Belen. The staff were fantastic. They were each friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable in many ways. They were flexible and understanding in the needs of a diverse group of visitors (including my toddler son who joined us for a few nights). The hotel is clean, pretty and comfortable. My only caution would be that room #1 is a little loud in the mornings with street noise. Enjoy your stay!
~ Kyla (Vancouver, BC)

• Liked — The staff
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank CoDev
epjatj
Reviewed 28 September 2008

Based on all the great reviews of Posada Belen Museo, I made reservations online . Our shuttle driver that brought us from Antigua to Guatemala City acted like he couldn't find the hotel, even though I gave him the address. He then took us to another hotel. When I called Posada Belen to tell them why I did not show up, they said May-be the shuttle driver did not want to find it! They would not give me a refund, so I'm out $60 and never got to see the inn. So may-be it is not a good idea to make reservations for the Posada Belen Museo Inn. Pat Hill, Lindsey, Ohio

Stayed September 2008
1 Thank epjatj
posadabelen, Owner at Posada Belen Museo Inn, responded to this review, 28 October 2008
Being small can have its pros and cons, sometimes non professional drivers or shuttle companies will play the ignorance role to take the clients to another hotel where they can get a commision, there is no way that having the right address in Guatemala city historic center to get lost, it is a very logic coordenates system. All I can say to avoid problems like this is to take reputable shuttles like ATITRANS that do have branches in most touristic places, have your hotel phone number handy to be used on the moment not 2 days after no show like in this case, everyone has a cell available on the shuttles, so it is very easy to comunicate with the hotel and get the driver instructed on how to get there. Be aware that this can happends with ANY hotel in Guatemala, so be smart and get phone numbers also. We are sorry this lady did miss the opportunity to stay at Posada Belen Museo Inn since we are tottaly sure she will never feel this way having the chance of meet us. Too bad she voted 1 without ever knowing the facilities. And please always check the hotel website for more information on trusted travel. Thanks for reading this. Rene
UK
Reviewed 25 September 2008

Posada Belen Museum hotel is a real gem in Guatemala city. The staff were friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. The hotel is fascinating with its lovely decor and interesting museum artefacts. It also has its own restaurant and peaceful garden. Nilo and Juan made me feel very comfortable and as a solo female traveler I felt very safe here. The food in the restaurant was very tasty from sandwiches to main course. The owners Rene & Francesca even made arrangements on my behalf for a 2 day tour at Tikal - a great service. Overall I loved my stay at the Posada Belen for its friendly atmosphere, helpfulness of staff and proximity to city center.

• Liked — Helpfulness of staff, and interesting artefacts.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo