“Great stay!”

Hostal Los Volcanes
“Great stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2011

I had a great stay at Los Volcanes, the staff was so nice. This was my first time in Guatemala, if I Ever go back def I'll stay at Los Volcanes. They have complimentary breakfast, shuttle to the airport at a reasonable price.
Yader, byron, marisol, melanie, Thanks for everything! :)

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Msgv

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2011

When I went to my spartan room, there was literally still crap floating in the toilet. There was no shampoo, no soap and I had to ask for a towel. We let our in-country host arrange this for us as our flight was leaving early. I don't think most Guatemalans would want to stay here. It is isolated and just plain crappy. Make another choice for your stay.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
HostalLosVolcanes, Manager at Hostal Los Volcanes, responded to this review, 18 May 2011
We are very sorry about this situation because we manage high cleaning standards.

We would have liked if you had said something at the time it happened, we could have solved this situation.

We truly apologize for the inconvenience you had in your stay. The hostel recently changed administration; we are doing our best to never let this problem happen again, so our guests can have a great stay with no inconveniences.
Papeete
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2010

Recently stayed here a night as my flight was at 6am the next day. It was recommended by someone who had stayed there before. I paid an exoribtant $30 for a private room wth bath and tv. I asked whether I could get a few $ off as I was not going to be there for breakfast. The very brief answer was "no". I was also told they could organise a taxi for me to town for $10 when I know the standard fare is half that price. I got a dirty look when I left on my own to get one out the front. The free shuttle the next morning was good and it looked like $20 had been written in the log rather than the $30 I had paid. I don't like getting ripped off and these people will take advantage of you as they are only a few minutes from the airport

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
San Francisco, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2009

Good:
- Really close to the airport
- Free shuttles to the airport
- Computer and internet access (even though they say that your first 20min is free)
- Free Breakfast (which I didn't actually have because I left at 4am for my flight)
- Cable TV with lots of channels

BAD:
- Stoner receptionist
- 22% tax (10% hospitality and 12% something else)
- Bathrooms only superficially look clean (there were empty shampoo packages, dust, and random debris here and there)
- BED BUGS! I am positive that they don't wash their sheets or clean the place that often. My boyfriend and I both got bites and I developed a rash on my legs and arms around these bites.

This place could be a great hostel. Its such a shame that it was so terrible. I really don't recommend you stay here. I travel a lot and always stay at hostels but this is the worst experience I've had at one. Even if I didn't get bug bites I would still say that this is one of the worst hostels I have been at.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2008

I stayed in Dec 08 for a week. Had a room with private bathroom. Room was clean, had daily maid service, breakfast was included, and had cable TV. Shower had luke warm water at best, but it was tolerable especially with the cool weather in Dec. Limited parking inside the property. Must supply own shampoo and soap bars.

Staff was extremely courteous, attentive, and helpful. Hotel is literally a minute by car to the airport. Free shuttle service to and from the hotel. Amazingly, jet plane noise was not that bad. There is a small mini market and restaurant within 200 feet of the hotel. Very security-oriented establishment-must be buzzed in from the street side.

I would definitely return here without hesitation. It is very cost-effective, excellent staff, extremely convenient to the airport, and is only 10 minutes away by car to the main area called Zona Viva. Definitely need a car or taxi to get around from the hotel to downtown Guatemala or to a supermarket, etc.

• Liked — Its value, proximity to airport, and courteous staff
  • Disliked — Not too many eateries or other establishments within walking distance
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Binghamton, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2005

I booked their "deluxe" single in late April, 2005. I was met at the airport as promised but when I looked around the room after check in found several huge "water bugs" in my room and even more in the shower. I called the only person I could find who was able to kill most of them. Needless to say I did not sleep well. It was too late at night to try to leave and find a taxi, especially since I was in a quiet neighborhood and didn't know where the main roads were located. Instead of the supposed to be included breakfast I was whisked off to the bus station. I will obviously not stay there again.

4 Thank pkibbee