“Chill and SAFE”

Theatre International Hostel
Campbellton, Canada
“Chill and SAFE”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Me and the other 7 girls who were traveling with me, slept there the first night in the country of Guatemala. It's very close to the airport, maybe 15 mins depending on the trafic. When you get Inside you forget that you are in Guatemala city because everything is so cozy, there are hamacs, puffs to sit on, a fruit tree, ... They put music on to play all day which is really nice. We actually plugged in my friend's iPod for a while. I felt very safe, they lock up the place very good. When we went, there was a guy from Québec city working, it was only his third week in Guate, he took us out to eat, to the market and to walk around the city. They have lockers to put your stuff in, which I was happy about. I really liked this place, it was also VERY clean, bathrooms included. I really enjoyed my stay there, if I go back to Guatemala city, I will sleep there.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Reviewed 22 May 2014

All was good,the hostel is clean, is safe,the breakfast is free,hot watter,and very easy to pay,the people is kind, i can find persons of all world ,and i can make good friends.Very good place.I love it.Was a great experience.

• Stayed May 2014
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I stayed there the last night of my trip through guatemala. the whole crew is very friendly and helpful. they even try to show you an authentic guatamela by visiting a concert together (crew and hostelvisitors) of a local band. Thank you for a special last night!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 26 April 2014

A new hotel and I can see that they are putting effort into making it great. Are very helpful. We made a reservation for a dorm because that is all they had and when we got their my gf and I asked for a private. One of the workers gave up his room and moved in two beds for us. We only paid 93 or 95q each. This is probably one of the cheapest hostels that I found in Guatemala City. The only draw back was that there is only one bathroom for men and one bathroom for women for all to share. However, they said they would be doing renovations to make more bathrooms.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

I was supposed to stay 3 nights in this hostel and I finally ended up staying one week. The location is great, near by shops, cheap restaurants.. The staff is lovely and helpful and the hostel facilities are good. I had a really nice stay there and I definitely recommend it if you want to meet young backpackers. Would stay there again!

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 25 March 2014

My friend and I needed a place to stay for one night, since we were catching an early flight to Nicaragua the next day. We found this place on hostelworld.com and it had decent reviews. First off, the airport pick-up and drop-off was an additional $6 each way, I wouldn't have been bothered by it had the price per person / per night had been more reasonable. For 1 person / per night in the dorm room, it came out to be $20. Very overpriced, especially for what we got. My bed had ants crawling on the bed sheets, there was no hot water in the shower, and the Wifi was down. This was problematic since we needed Wifi to do research on our trip and do online check-in for our flight. It is also located in Zona 1 which is considered the more dangerous area of Guatemala City. Will not be staying here again, unfortunately.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Juan Pablo F, Gerente at Theatre International Hostel, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear Frances,

we really appreciate your comments and we would like to deeply apologize for all the inconvenients that we had made to you.
This is a bussines that we just have started and that´s why we are very thankful about your comments because thats how we are going to improve in the future.

Regards,

Hostel Manager
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014

The hostel is hard to find in terms of an A4 printed sign on the door, you really need to be walking past it, looking hard. It backs onto a theatre, though you wouldn't know it from being inside. The hostel felt secure in an area we didn't realise is quite dangerous (Zona 1). If you stay on a Friday night, look forward to a wonderful surprise - a cross between Narnia and night life! I would choose this hostel even just for that reason. Breakfast is basic - toast with jam, orange juice and cornflakes. Bring your own bed sheet if possible, or ask for a blanket. The kitchen is well-equipped, and there is 1 bathroom with hot shower for girls, and 1 for guys too. The staff are very friendly and helpful, and will do whatever they can to help you.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends