“If you want something different from coral and reef fish - this is it” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ati Divers

Ati Divers
More attraction details
Owner description: The only PADI dive centre on Lake Atitlan, offering a unique dive experience. No coral reefs or tropical fish, instead see freshwater fish, crabs, plants, volcanic hotspots and rock formations. Fun dives for certified divers, learn to dive with the PADI open water courses or even take the PADI Altitude Specialty. Based at La Iguana Perdida, in front of the dock at Santa Cruz.
Bracknell, United Kingdom
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“If you want something different from coral and reef fish - this is it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

I only learned later in my holiday planning that you can dive in Lake Atitlan. I'm glad I followed it up as it was a fun experience once there. We stayed in Hotel Atitlan, which meant a boat trip across one corner of the lake to Santa Cruz. The setup there is delightful and, as other reviewers have pointed out, has great views and a very welcoming atmosphere.

I was diving with Oli, and also decided to do the Altitude Diver Specialty. The diving was what I expected - and more. Firstly it's a lake, secondly you're diving close to shore. As such you expect variable visibility and cooler water. I dive in the UK both in the sea and lakes inland. This is normal. If you've only ever dived tropical waters, then this will be different.

The key here is the experience. Sure the vis will be notably lower, but then how often do you get to swim through sunken hotel balconies and swimming pools ? How often do you see a hotel tap under water, still working? Or swim into a sunken house and play at the (now) underwater bar?

The other notable experience, as has also been pointed out by others, is the area of geothermal activity. Searching for tell-tale shimmering in the water where the hot water from below ground 'boils' through the cooler lake water. Sticking your hands in warm sand/mud to the point where it's too hot to stay. Different and great fun.

Oli was a great dive leader and a good teacher for the Altitude course (and a great guy). For divers who want something a little different, regardless of experience level, I'd recommend diving in Lake Atitlan with ATI Divers.

Visited November 2013

San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“amazing dive!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

We were lucky enough to experience altitude, fresh, and "cold" water diving all in one, and to top it off in an amazing lake with an excellent instructor!! Our dive was scheduled the night before, and we were thoroughly briefed before our mid-morning dive by Andy. We dived Agua Caliente, we were told exactly what to expect dive site wise: visibility conditions, crab(s), fish, sunken bar and house, sunken pool, hot clay, and everything! The dive went as we were told, we extremely enjoyed it! A unique experience, as the dive sites are very enjoyable and even more when you have such a great instructor as ATI Divers has! Visibility was not great, but we always felt safe knowing he'd be just outside the silt cloud waiting for us.
Great dive!! would definitely do it again! Wetsuit fitting included- such a fun part of it getting into wetsuits and sorting out sizes and how to layer up!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Maria Jose A
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Advanced open water”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2013

I made a last minute plan change in my trip and decided to take advanced open water with Ati diver. They accommandated my quickly. Ryan was my instructor.he was very knowledgable with what he teaches. I felt safe and learned a lot.

Thank you.

Visited January 2013
Brooklyn, New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A fun and unique diving experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2012

Finally, on my 3rd visit to Lake Atitlan, I took advantage of diving with ATI Divers. It made for a great morning and and amazing experience.

My sister had just completed(and loved) her OW certification with Andy(ATI's friendly, calm and very knowledgeable dive instructor) and so we decided to do a fun dive together. Plus, I wanted to experience a high-altitude lake dive....

We dove at a spot called Agua Caliente, where we followed a fault line down then got to stick our hands in the hot silt, warmed from steam vents. It was really cool to see the under water topography and feel the different temperatures of the mud. As the dive went on we worked our way into shallower water where we saw fish and a few crabs.

I love diving and being in the water, and I really loved how this dive was so different than any other one I have ever done. No, you are not surrounded by schools of tropical fish and coral, but what you get is a truly unique dive in a beautiful lake surrounded by volcanoes. I say take advantage of this one of a kind experience...and when you finish be sure to relax in a hammock at La Iguana Perdida!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank kelkal
Brisbane, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great place to get certified”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

ATI Divers was an excellent place to receive my certification. Andy runs a very professional dive school and throughout the training I felt well informed of everything we were doing. Small group sizes meant he could always keep a close eye on me to ensure everything was going smoothly and that I was performing the necessary skills correctly, while still being able to see some really interesting underwater formations, fish, crabs and hot water vents. Best of all, I felt safe every step of the way. Andy was very patient and made sure the pace of the classes was kept to an appropriate pace for all participants, never hurrying anyone through any of the skills.
Doing the course in July meant the visibility was limited, but that didn't take away from what was a great experience.

Visited July 2012