Last night was my first stay at Maya Moon Lodge in Tzununà and I was thoroughly impressed!
First, the Mayan village of Tzununà is one of the nicest, safest, and picturesque places at the Lake. It's conveniently located between Santa Cruz La Laguna and San Marcos. Although most people travel by ferry boat, it's very nice to have road access when you want to travel to San Marcos or San Pedro. It's also a great place to walk for sightseeing.
I arrived at the Lodge via the road entrance, but it has its own private dock for guests to come in by boat. Passing through the gates my first view was of the lush and colorful tropical gardens, which are in full bloom year around. As I walked down toward the cabañas, I got beautiful glimpses of the Lake and was warmly greeted by one of the owners, Fiona. She was smiling and genuinely interested in showing me around the hotel property.
As I mentioned, the gardens are lovely and boast a variety of tropical plants, palm and banana trees, and exotic flowers. But my favorite thing was seeing the hummingbirds that come to feed on the flowers each day!
Everything at the Lodge...the bar, lounge, and cabañas... are built mostly with local bamboo, which provides an elegant, yet very relaxing, atmosphere. The feeling is that you've just entered a fairy tale version of paradise.
In the afternoon I got to meet Chris, Fiona's partner, and received another warm welcome! Both owners were so easy to chat with and they provided me with some very helpful information for guests staying at the Lake. It's really nice that they live on the property because every time that I needed something (extra pillow, bottled water, etc.) one of them was always available.
I had dinner in the waterfront lounge so that I could fully enjoy the spectacular views of the mountains and volcanoes. The food was excellent and very reasonably priced. I love that the ingredients are super fresh and purchased from local farmers. In addition to non-alcoholic drinks, they also offered a nice selection of wine, beer, and spirits.
Watching the sun settle at night, falling asleep to the soothing sounds of the waves, and waking up to the sunrise view and birds chirping was quite amazing.
Some other great things about staying at the Lodge:
- They offer reliable pick up services from Guatemala City and Panajachel.
- This place is perfect for couples, solo travelers, and families.
- The fast WIFI internet service was available in all areas.
- The owners will gladly arrange tours and other activities.
- Fiona knows where to get the best massages, facials, holistic treatments, etc.
- It's easy to get to either Panajachel or San Pedro because the Lodge is centrally located.
- The cabins are super clean, comfortable, and roomy with incredible views.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Lodge/Guest house. We have 3 private rooms/cabanas: The Casa Suena is our Cottage on the lake sleeps 4 :1 kingsize bed upstairs,downstairs 1 queen bed,a large balcony,hammocks,deckchairs,fridge,kitchenette,private patio area on the lake. Two private cabanas en suite: The Colibri sleeps 4. The Blue Heron sleeps 2 Shared Accomodation is The Gecko Rooms sleeps 10 The Gecko Rooms are a large wooden two level house on the lake with two rooms with new single beds,which can used for individuals, families and groups.No bunk beds.Fantastic views of the volcanoes and amazing sunrises. 10 Beds strategically placed to give space in a dorm style room. Shared bathroom. The lodge is set in a lush tropical garden 40 Metres of lake frontage, Great to swim or kayak,we have 10 tubes for floating on the lake. Easy access to all the surrounding villages. Maya Moon Lodge sits on the shores of the Lake in the small Mayan village of Tzununa. Lakeside restaurant and bar. We have a private boat dock, great for swimming. Tropical gardens, spectacular views,road and lake access. Private bungalows, dorm style spacious rooms, ideal for individuals, groups or families. We have WIFI in all rooms, the bar/lounge area. ... more less