“We wished we could have staid longer”

Hotel San Buenaventura de Atitlan
Ranked #12 of 29 Hotels in Panajachel
Reviewed 29 December 2009

We were a group of 30 and we spent 3 nights. Everyone was enchanted by the beauty of the lake and of the hotel site, the warmth of the service, the quality of food and the comfort of the living and sleeping rooms.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 14 July 2009

I just spent two nights at Hotel Atitlan in Guatemala. My two daughters and I loved the beautiful unobstructed views of the lake and volcanoes from our rooms, the pool and the terrace. The grounds at his place are amazing...winding stone pathways surrounded by trees, bushes and a multitude of flowers, quiet places to take in the scenery, arbors filled with hanging flowers, birds singing and hummingbirds twitting about. The town is only 5 minutes away by tuk-tuk and the hotel has wonderful food. We ate breakfast , lunch and dinner there. All our meals were great. We had an especially delicious salad of grilled pineapple and prawns with a ginger dressing. Everything in the hotel is decorated beautifully. This is a great hotel for a lovely stay in Guatemala. Internet/computer on site also for $1.00/30 minutes.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 February 2009

Beware.
The grounds are absolutely beautiful. Birders, bring binoculars. The view is wonderful, and the staff are helpful in the Guatemalan style.
However: located next door to the San Buenaventura are the three towers of the "Riviera Atitlan" hotel, and if the Riviera Atitlan decides to host an exceptionally loud church retreat, then not only will you have wasted your money, but you will also be desperate for sleep, peace, and quiet - and this AFTER coming to a place that promises tranquility.
We brought our family to the San Buenaventura for a few days of vacation, and an hour after we arrived, a live band started warming up next door. We were out on the dock, and we had to raise our voices to be heard. The group next door sang, preached (yelled), and played games until late into the night, and then began again - band at full volume! - at FIVE-SOMETHING IN THE MORNING. It was dark. We were tired. It woke us all up. The kids were miserable.
The group next door continued all day, and our only escape from the misery was to the nature preserve across the street (highly recommended). We were kept up until 3 that night, and shaken out of bed once again at 5:20. Now I know why governments torture enemy soldiers with relentless noise. It's absolutely wretched.
Of course we had talked with members of the staff at various times, asking if there was anything they could do. They certainly tried, knowing how ridiculous the noise level was, but there really wasn't anything they could do. If there's a noise ordinance, I can't imagine anyone (say, the police) would actually do anything about it. The managers of the hotel next door (where the noise was coming from) had no incentive to shut it down, so they didn't.
All of which we understood. Things like this happen sometimes. But after paying $500+ for two nights, I might have expected better treatment from the management. The man at the desk asked if everything had been allright, and of course I had to tell him it hadn't (he knew anyway, as he had called the neighboring hotel the day before). I told him I'd prefer to pay for just one night - we'd cover our expenses, but wouldn't be paying quite so much for such a wretched experience. Besides, the San Buenaventura was almost empty that weekend, so we hadn't taken anyone else's spot. He called the owner, and once she found out our credit card had already been run (during check-in), that was the end of the conversation!! That, apparently, was all she needed to know. I asked to speak with her myself, and when I did, I was given long explanations of why the noise wasn't the San Buenaventura's fault (which is absolutely true), and how she just couldn't charge me anything less than full price for my stay. Not even a few bucks? Really? I came for a vacation and didn't even get to SLEEP??
I was told that the owner would discuss the situation with the owner of the Riviera Atitlan and would be in contact with me (but would under no circumstances reduce the charges to my bill). It's been a few weeks, and I've heard nothing. The grounds are indeed lovely, as is the unbelievable lake surrounding them. It's a great place to take a family with kids - plenty of room, kid-friendly staff, etc. But if you're looking for a quiet stay, do yourself a favor and make sure nobody's staying in those three green high-rises, or you're in for a very loud stay, and a hotel whose primary concern is whether or not your credit card has already been charged.

Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank chepeverde
Reviewed 25 November 2008

Just came back from Panajachel, Atitlan Guatemala, the Hotel
San Buenaventura where we spent four nights was just what we where looking for. Good clean accomodations, wonderful food and great location, including its own private beach.
We woke up every morning with spectacular views of the Lake and its volcanoes, the owner Natalia Rivera is very hospitable and makes you feel like you are home.

Stayed: November 2008
1  Thank Carlomagnoone
Reviewed 19 November 2008

First of all, if you find yourself in Guatemala, definitely take the time to visit Lake Atitlan. It is a place of spectacular scenery and natural wonders. The Hotel San Buenaventura is the perfect place to stay. It is located right on the lake, yet off to the side of town (Pana) so it's peaceful and quiet, yet close enough to the nightlife.

The staff is very welcoming and accomodating. They will provide extra efforts to make sure your stay is comfortable and enjoyable. They set me up with a tour around the lake with a quickness upon my arrival so I could get familiar with the area. I stayed in a suite which was very clean, spacious, and ideal.

The grounds are very well maintained and landscape is just gorgeous. Quite fitting considering the inspiring surrounding terrain. The hotel is located just beside a natural reserve which I fully recommend taking a walk through.

As far as facilities go, the pool area is relaxing and refreshing. The food is tasty and reasonably priced. The buildings have an antique charm and are just impressive. I could sit here and type up a book about how great this place is, but all you need to know is that if you are going to Lake Atitlan, do not hesitate to book your accomodation with Hotel San Buenaventura. You won't regret it. Happy trails.

-Ryan Neff
Pismo Beach, CA, USA

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 6 February 2008

I stayed at this hotel with a group of friends for a week in January and had a truly wonderful time. To be honest, it's hard not to...the accommodation is lovely in its simplicity, is very clean and the views from the little houses to Lake Atitlan are stunning. The hotel's facilities are simple but again more than good enough. It's on the edge of probably the most beautiful lake in the world (and I've seen a few) and 10 minute walk or a 2 minute tuk-tuk ride to the nearby town of Panajachel, where you can eat superb food at ridiculous prices. The food at the hotel is also very good, but the prices are, as to be expected, rather steeper....much like the road to and from the town. The hotel staff will organise boat trips on the lake for you, and basically anything you ask of them, they will arrange!
I felt very safe at the hotel and in the town, but would advise caution when consider climbing the volcanoes or any other expeditions.
Overall there are only two things I can say something negative about: 1) their laundry service is too pricey; 2) the rugs in the rooms are lethal, but this was easily solved by removing it! In other words, go....it's heavenly!!!

Stayed: January 2008
1  Thank Dakini27
Reviewed 26 January 2008

We stayed for 5 days in September, 2007. We arrived via shuttle bus from Antigua amid a tropical downpour. The hotel is quite a ways in from the main road, the last part being only gravel. But even through the rain the scenery was amazing, with lush vegetation and beautiful views of the lake. Even the other traveles in our bus who were going to other hotels in town were impressed. The staff was very helpful in helping to get us and our luggage in out of the rain. The check-in was quick and efficient. We had reserved a 1 bedroom unit through a timeshare (RCI). It had one bedroom on the lower level and a kitchen/living room upstairs, with 2 sofas that could be used as beds. This is a converted coffee plantation, and they keep to the colonial hacienda architecture. The rooms have vaulted ceilings, which along with the walls, are of brick. The floors are tiled. The rooms were clean, except that some of the kitchen utensils/pots were dirty. I'm not sure if this is because most people don't use the kitchen. But they provide soap and sponges so we were able to get them clean. They also provide drinking water.
It wasn't until the next morning that I was able to truly appreciate the hotel setting. We awoke to a sunny day and an unforgettable view of the lake and surrounding volcanos from our upstairs window. You can then walk out towards the lake, the hotel has a small private beach, and you can rent paddle boats, kayaks, etc from the hotel (although we didn't try this). There is also a pool and jacuzzi, which you have to ask to be turned on in advance.
Just sitting on the chairs and looking at the lake in front of you was worth it.
There is a restaurant on site, but I cannot comment on it since we did not eat there.
There is a nature reserve just down the road, with zip lines and walking trailes, where you can see monkeys and waterfalls, and cross small streams. They also have a butterfly reserve, which isn't very large, but it is interesting.
The hotel is about 10 min by car from town (if that). The easiest way we found to get around was by the popular "tuk-tuks". It costs about US $2 each way. Once in Panajachel, the main thing to do is shopping. You can also take tours of the lake, visiting the other small towns dotted around the lake.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank csandiego
Also consider these accommodations in or near Panajachel
Hotel Regis Panajachel
La Casa del Mundo Hotel
La Casa del Mundo Hotel
#1 of 1 in Jaibalito
Hotel Posada de Don Rodrigo Panajachel

Been to Hotel San Buenaventura de Atitlan? Share your experiences!