Hotel San Buenaventura de Atitlan
    • Breakfast included
    Hotel Kakchiquel(Panajachel)
    Average 3/5
    • Restaurant
    All reviewsprivate beachnature reserveminute walk into townfull kitchenother hotelshotel is beautifulbeautiful groundsevery morningnataliaaccommodationatitlanlakeguatemalapanabeautygardensantander
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 24 February 2010

Hotel San Buenaventura de Atitlan is the perfect place to take your family on vacation. We vacationed here with two sets of grandparents and three families with young children (ages 2, 4, 7, 9, 12, and 13). The suites are all very close and the kids could run freely from one to the other. We felt very safe here and the staff was very trustworthy. My father left his wallet in one room that he moved out of and before he knew it was missing, the staff brought it to him.

The suites are beautiful and very spacious. Very nice to hang out in. They all have fully equipped kitchens, living rooms and dining rooms, so you can eat in if you don't want to go out for all of your meals. Most of the bedrooms have two double bed in each room. Our suite had two bathrooms and two bedrooms with two double beds in each room. In one of the bedrooms you wake up looking at the beautiful lake. All of the suites have beautiful views of the lake and the gardens. There are small private yards for the kids to run around in as well.

The pool is perfect for all ages. It is absolutely gorgeous, overlooking the lake and the volcanoes. There is a nice playground for the younger kids right beside the pool.

It is easy to get a taxi into town (a few minute ride) for about $1.25/person or 10,000Q/person. There are good grocery stores and restaurants in town.

Natalia (the owner) was very helpful and pleasant. She took us into town on several occasions - to look at cakes for my husband's 40th birthday party, to change travelers checks, and to go plan a trip at the travel agency. She also accompanied us to the Nature Preserve where there were spider monkeys that the kids could throw bananas to. If you need something, just ask.

Natalia helped me plan a beautiful 40th birthday party for my husband. We had nachos, guacamole, and pina coladas down by the pool, hot tub and sauna. Then she served us a yummy lasagna and salad under a beautiful tent just above the pool. It was perfect.

We couldn't have found a better place to vacation! We were very, very happy! We can't wait to return.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
    Reviewed 29 December 2009

We were a group of 30 and we spent 3 nights. Everyone was enchanted by the beauty of the lake and of the hotel site, the warmth of the service, the quality of food and the comfort of the living and sleeping rooms.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
    Reviewed 14 July 2009

I just spent two nights at Hotel Atitlan in Guatemala. My two daughters and I loved the beautiful unobstructed views of the lake and volcanoes from our rooms, the pool and the terrace. The grounds at his place are amazing...winding stone pathways surrounded by trees, bushes and a multitude of flowers, quiet places to take in the scenery, arbors filled with hanging flowers, birds singing and hummingbirds twitting about. The town is only 5 minutes away by tuk-tuk and the hotel has wonderful food. We ate breakfast , lunch and dinner there. All our meals were great. We had an especially delicious salad of grilled pineapple and prawns with a ginger dressing. Everything in the hotel is decorated beautifully. This is a great hotel for a lovely stay in Guatemala. Internet/computer on site also for $1.00/30 minutes.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
    Reviewed 26 February 2009

Beware.
    The grounds are absolutely beautiful. Birders, bring binoculars. The view is wonderful, and the staff are helpful in the Guatemalan style.
    However: located next door to the San Buenaventura are the three towers of the "Riviera Atitlan" hotel, and if the Riviera Atitlan decides to host an exceptionally loud church retreat, then not only will you have wasted your money, but you will also be desperate for sleep, peace, and quiet - and this AFTER coming to a place that promises tranquility.
    We brought our family to the San Buenaventura for a few days of vacation, and an hour after we arrived, a live band started warming up next door. We were out on the dock, and we had to raise our voices to be heard. The group next door sang, preached (yelled), and played games until late into the night, and then began again - band at full volume! - at FIVE-SOMETHING IN THE MORNING. It was dark. We were tired. It woke us all up. The kids were miserable.
    The group next door continued all day, and our only escape from the misery was to the nature preserve across the street (highly recommended). We were kept up until 3 that night, and shaken out of bed once again at 5:20. Now I know why governments torture enemy soldiers with relentless noise. It's absolutely wretched.
    Of course we had talked with members of the staff at various times, asking if there was anything they could do. They certainly tried, knowing how ridiculous the noise level was, but there really wasn't anything they could do. If there's a noise ordinance, I can't imagine anyone (say, the police) would actually do anything about it. The managers of the hotel next door (where the noise was coming from) had no incentive to shut it down, so they didn't.
    All of which we understood. Things like this happen sometimes. But after paying $500+ for two nights, I might have expected better treatment from the management. The man at the desk asked if everything had been allright, and of course I had to tell him it hadn't (he knew anyway, as he had called the neighboring hotel the day before). I told him I'd prefer to pay for just one night - we'd cover our expenses, but wouldn't be paying quite so much for such a wretched experience. Besides, the San Buenaventura was almost empty that weekend, so we hadn't taken anyone else's spot. He called the owner, and once she found out our credit card had already been run (during check-in), that was the end of the conversation!! That, apparently, was all she needed to know. I asked to speak with her myself, and when I did, I was given long explanations of why the noise wasn't the San Buenaventura's fault (which is absolutely true), and how she just couldn't charge me anything less than full price for my stay. Not even a few bucks? Really? I came for a vacation and didn't even get to SLEEP??
    I was told that the owner would discuss the situation with the owner of the Riviera Atitlan and would be in contact with me (but would under no circumstances reduce the charges to my bill). It's been a few weeks, and I've heard nothing. The grounds are indeed lovely, as is the unbelievable lake surrounding them. It's a great place to take a family with kids - plenty of room, kid-friendly staff, etc. But if you're looking for a quiet stay, do yourself a favor and make sure nobody's staying in those three green high-rises, or you're in for a very loud stay, and a hotel whose primary concern is whether or not your credit card has already been charged.

Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
    3  Thank chepeverde
    Reviewed 25 November 2008

Just came back from Panajachel, Atitlan Guatemala, the Hotel
    San Buenaventura where we spent four nights was just what we where looking for. Good clean accomodations, wonderful food and great location, including its own private beach.
    We woke up every morning with spectacular views of the Lake and its volcanoes, the owner Natalia Rivera is very hospitable and makes you feel like you are home.

Stayed: November 2008