“old”

Porta Hotel Del Lago
Ranked #3 of 29 Hotels in Panajachel
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 6 February 2014

the location is very good and that's about the only good thing with this hotel
everything looks old, outdated, more or less broken. the common areas as well as the rooms.
the rooms have great views over the lake and volcanoes, but they are very small.
the restaurant looks like a factory restaurant. it is depressing. the food, we had buffet, twice for breakfast and twice for dinner, is really poor.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
AnaMariaH561, Gerente at Porta Hotel Del Lago, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Dear PhPhPh_12

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, we apologize for not completely satisfying your expectations.
Please accept our apologies, your comments are taken into consideration to take the necessary actions to improve our quality of facilities.
In 2013 we remodeled 60 rooms and elevators, we are continue remodeling our facilities in 2014 so your comments are welcome.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

This hotel was by far the largest and nicest on the lake. I was looking more for a B&B but for the price, I thought why not go for a nice hotel. All the rooms have breaktaking views of the lake and right by the boat dock. Great location and great service.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
AnaMariaH561, Gerente at Porta Hotel Del Lago, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear Cheryl B

Thank you for sharing your experience during your stay at Porta Hotel del Lago. I do hope that we'll have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon.

Thank you so much for your comment on Tripadvisor!

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Very nice hotel with clean, quite new rooms. We didn't eat in the hotel, because, there are many interesting cafes and restorans around. From my point of view, twin beds are very small (not more then 150 cm by width.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Anna_Gerasimova

Dear Anna_Gera

Thank you for sharing your comments and observations on your experience at Porta Hotel del Lago locate in the Lake of Atitlán.
All rooms are equipped with 2 double beds size(1.35 meter wide by 1.90 meter long), the rooms are designed for 2 people in it.

When people required extra bed for 3 persons in the same room, the bed size is (1.00 meter wide by 1.90 meter long). These measures are standard.

We look forward to welcome you again and exceed all your expectations.

Ana Maria

Reviewed 15 January 2014

This hotel has the perfect location, every balcony has a view of the lake and volcanoes. Good sized, clean room. I chose it because of the large swimming pool and wasn't disappointed. Walking distance to everything. Can't speak to food, since we didn't eat there at all.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank daniel k
AnaMariaH561, Gerente at Porta Hotel Del Lago, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2014

Dear fay b

Thank you so much for your comment on Tripadvisor!

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Outdated, not clean, the worse hotel we stayed in our trip to Guatemala. A renovation is a must. Don't recommend and will not return. Not sure about the standards from the reviews classifying this hotel as anything above poor.

• Stayed: January 2014
AnaMariaH561, Gerente at Porta Hotel Del Lago, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear raphyscal

Thank you so much for sharing your opinion with us.
Please accept our apologies for not satisfy your requests as expected, we are sorry you got a bad impression about the our facilities.
Your comments are taken into consideration to take the necessary actions to improve our quality of facilities.
In 2013 we remodeled 60 rooms and elevators, we are continue in 2014 remodeling our facilities so your comments are welcome.

Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

This hotel reminds me of a cheesy old cruise ship.

We stayed here for 1 night because we couldn't get into our other hotel until the next night, and that's all I could really tolerate. The rooms are beyond outdated and the beds are rock hard. There also isn't a safe in the rooms, which just made me nervous the whole time we were out. The view from the room is great, they have a pool and nice dining room...but there are so many other AMAZING hotels on the lake for a quarter of the price. I would strongly advise finding a boutique hotel in some of the other smaller towns.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fletchco
AnaMariaH561, Gerente at Porta Hotel Del Lago, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Dear Curtney

We thank you for sharing your comments and observations on your experience at Porta Hotel del Lago.
We apologize for not meeting your expectations.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

I had first seen this property on my trip to Panajachel about 5 years ago and even though I did not stay here I wanted to check it out. When the opportunity to return to Pana came up I knew this was the place I wanted to be. I had one of the corner suites and I don't think you could find any better view of the lake. You will see lots and lots of pictures here and the photos don't lie, it is just an amazing view. The hotel was clean, the grounds are well maintained, I had very little interaction with the staff but they were friendly and efficient. One day there was a temporary problem with the elevator and the man in the front quickly noticed and showed us the service elevator to use so we wouldn't have to climb up to the 5th floor. While I didn't eat there I did see the food (they had a buffet that seemed popular) and it looked good. There is a free cocktail, (the hotel special) but I wouldn't recommend it unless you are fond of cucumber... we only took a sip of ours and left them. I travel with bottled water but there was filtered water just outside our door we could have used. The room safe was on the smaller side compared to the ones I have seen but certainly big enough to hold your passport, money, or jewelery etc. The bed was comfortable and from my bed I had a view of the lake without even getting up. During the day there is so much natural light that fills the room that during the evening it seems a bit dark even though there are a lot of lights, I suspect this is because the hotel is using energy efficient bulbs that are not as bright.
I only had 3 nights at the Porta but in all honesty I would have liked several more. I walked around the streets both day and night and felt perfectly safe, there are wonderful little restaurants all along the main streets, many with lake views, and the shopping is good too with prices cheaper than in the capital or in Antigua. I hope to go back in a few months and will make a point to eat there so I can evaluate the food. A big thank you to the staff.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank bedlammanor

Dear bedlamman
Thank you for sharing your great experience during your stay at Porta Hotel del Lago.
I do hope that we'll have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon and please do remember to visit our official website for all our best available rates and packages. Once again, thank you so much for this wonderful comment on Tripadvisor!

Ana Ma