“Felt at home in the mangrove swamp paradise!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Finca Tatin
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Livingston
Tucson, Arizona
“Felt at home in the mangrove swamp paradise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2011

I was super sad to leave this place after 3 nights. Carlos and Gabby are gracious and hospitable. During the summer, Calos' great kids are at the hotel too. We had soooo much fun with them. The family-style dinners are absolutely delicious as well.

Word of advice: If you decide to kayak to Livingston (which I highly recommend), you should definitely arrange for a pick up as it is NOT fun to try and kayak against the current. Lesson learned. Hahaha.

Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Brooks, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2011

My husband and I LOVED Finca Tatin! We did not plan to stay there but after being told by several other travelers that we just HAD to go we decided to make a stop. It is out of this world. Right in the jungle on a river. The rooms are so amazing. I have never experienced anything like it. You can kayak to this amazing natural hot spring in the river that is very cool. Food was great, met so many great people. Two nights was enough for me as I like to move on but if you are in the area you truly HAVE to go! We did have a huge spider in our room one night but what can you expect? You are in the middle of the jungle! I am terrified of spiders but the guy working there came and removed it for me and I just had to remind myself that I came there for the experience and unfortunately bugs can be part of that experience :) All I can say is go . . . you will NOT be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Connie014
Farnham, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2011

We loved it! It was so remote and so nicely built along the Tatin river. Our little one loved the tarzan rope to jump in the river. The staff/owner were very friendly and the food excellent. We really enjoyed the atmosphere and the relaxed time we spent there especially on the deck/hammocks by the river. Thanks to Paulo, Alexis and Carlos for doing such a great job and making that part of the world accessible!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
Switzerland (Europe)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2011

I stayed at the Finca Tatin for two nights in a beautiful bungalow by the river (160 Quetzals per night. Bungalows in the forest cost 125, for single occupancy). The bungalow is very well protected against mosquitoes with nets everywhere and one also on the bed. The furniture is basic and one more table, or chair, or a small wardrobe would be very useful. In the bathroom you won’t find any soap and only upon my arrival I discovered that the shower in the bathroom had no hot water, which was pretty annoying. There is a generator working from 5pm to 10pm so I don’t see why they can’t heat up some water. Dinner is great with good, healthy food, although I can’t say the same for breakfast and lunch, which I think could enjoy some improvement. If it rains while you’re there, life could be a little difficult and wet. Take raincoats and a torch along with you.
Iguanetta

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank iguanetta
Lake Atitlan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2011

My group of 12 kayakers paddled into the lagoon of Finca Tatin just as the last rays of the sun were fading. With only the vaguest of directions collected by children playing along the banks of the Rio Dulce, we found the entrance to the back channel where we stored our kayaks for the night. The staff of the hotel had the steam sauna ready for us, and less than 10 minutes after stowing our boats we were relaxing with a cold beer and a hot steam. Dinner was served family style with huge heaping plates of delicious foods. The conversations ranged from English, Spanish, Portugese, Dutch, German, and Mayan.
Some of our rooms were literally on the edge of the river, while others were on nice pathways up in the jungle. Every aspect of this jungle lodge is professional and first rate. One of the staff is also a massage therapist, and we were happy to keep him busy for the time we were guest of the hotel.
They have a huge book of activities that would keep anyone busy for at least a week. Take the time to explore the waterfalls, hike the jungle into Livingston, or visit the hot springs.
I can not wait for my next return to the Rio Dulce and my new friends at the Finca.

Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights, and would have probably stayed a lot longer if the food was better and not made from the previous nights left overs!
We also found some of the staff very miserable, unhelpful and extremely sarcastic. In the end i gave up on asking questions and information as to not recieve a stupid response.
I cannot knock the location though, the lake is great, as is the sauna. Just do not go for the atmosphere, there is non!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank clarejoy123
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2011

Finca Tatin has been lovingly created by Carlos and it is clear his design has taken priority of the environment and the forest. There are loads of activities (the majority coming with a fee). If you're not the active type you can kick back on a hammock, enjoy the sounds of forest and catch a glimpse of a humming bird if you are lucky.

The rooms are very basic. They are as clean as they can be for wooden rooms in the jungle. My only complaint would be the bin for toilet tissue wasn't emptied during our 4 night stay.

The sauna is great. The food was fantastic. They even made a wonderful chocolate birthday cake for my husband on request. Eating all together family style is a lovely opportunity to meet and chat to fellow guests. Paulo is knowledgeable about the local area and great at advising on transportation to your next location.

Overall the place is great. It has a definite backpacker feel, so if that's not your thing don't let it stop you going. Just maybe stay 1 night. Make sure you have enough cash to pay for your stay, activities, food and drinks as they don't take credit cards.

• Stayed January 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Livingston
Hotel Villa Caribe
Hotel Mansion del Rio
Catamaran Island Hotel
Catamaran Island Hotel
#6 of 9 in Livingston

Been to Hotel Finca Tatin? Share your experiences!