“A culture of its own!”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Livingston
Canadian
“A culture of its own!”
Reviewed 17 September 2011

The Finca tatin is a magickal place, I met some of the greatest people I have ever known here. It is a place with a unique lifestyle where one feels as if on the deck of a giant sprawling ship, surrounded by nature. The lifestyle of the people here is a unique experience for anyone who has yet to experience the river life.

Carlos and Gabrielle are amazing people and helped me learn and grow so much, and they have amazing friends! Of all the places I have been only this and a few others feel like home to me.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Irvine, California
Reviewed 16 September 2011

I stayed here for 4 night with 8 friends. We stayed in the river front bungalows. This place is beautiful beyond words, in the lovliest part of Rio Dulce. The rope swing and inner tubes were great, the water refreshing and the wild life abundant.

The food was amazing, the people friendly, and we LOVED the bungalows - plenty of room and each had a balcony over looking the river with plenty of seating for hanging out. The common area was also amazing for hanging out - tons of hammocks, couches, comfy hanging chairs and a fantastic atmosphere.

They have a great system for keeping track of what you eat and drink that saves you time and makes it feel like you're staying with friends.

DEFINITELY do the tiger cave hike - highlight of our trip.

Also, the guys here can get you from Rio Dulce to the Bay Islands in a day (something I was told was impossible).

I will definitely be back and would recommend this place to anyone!

(As a side note, we did run into spiders and various bugs, but if you want to stay in a beautiful natural jungle, these things are a part of the experience - you get used to it pretty quickly).

Room Tip: The river front bungalows were great, but we got a look at the other jungle rooms and the dorm and i...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank mfdavis
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 20 June 2011

I was super sad to leave this place after 3 nights. Carlos and Gabby are gracious and hospitable. During the summer, Calos' great kids are at the hotel too. We had soooo much fun with them. The family-style dinners are absolutely delicious as well.

Word of advice: If you decide to kayak to Livingston (which I highly recommend), you should definitely arrange for a pick up as it is NOT fun to try and kayak against the current. Lesson learned. Hahaha.

Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Brooks, Canada
Reviewed 3 March 2011

My husband and I LOVED Finca Tatin! We did not plan to stay there but after being told by several other travelers that we just HAD to go we decided to make a stop. It is out of this world. Right in the jungle on a river. The rooms are so amazing. I have never experienced anything like it. You can kayak to this amazing natural hot spring in the river that is very cool. Food was great, met so many great people. Two nights was enough for me as I like to move on but if you are in the area you truly HAVE to go! We did have a huge spider in our room one night but what can you expect? You are in the middle of the jungle! I am terrified of spiders but the guy working there came and removed it for me and I just had to remind myself that I came there for the experience and unfortunately bugs can be part of that experience :) All I can say is go . . . you will NOT be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Connie014
Farnham, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 16 February 2011

We loved it! It was so remote and so nicely built along the Tatin river. Our little one loved the tarzan rope to jump in the river. The staff/owner were very friendly and the food excellent. We really enjoyed the atmosphere and the relaxed time we spent there especially on the deck/hammocks by the river. Thanks to Paulo, Alexis and Carlos for doing such a great job and making that part of the world accessible!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
Switzerland (Europe)
Reviewed 30 January 2011

I stayed at the Finca Tatin for two nights in a beautiful bungalow by the river (160 Quetzals per night. Bungalows in the forest cost 125, for single occupancy). The bungalow is very well protected against mosquitoes with nets everywhere and one also on the bed. The furniture is basic and one more table, or chair, or a small wardrobe would be very useful. In the bathroom you won’t find any soap and only upon my arrival I discovered that the shower in the bathroom had no hot water, which was pretty annoying. There is a generator working from 5pm to 10pm so I don’t see why they can’t heat up some water. Dinner is great with good, healthy food, although I can’t say the same for breakfast and lunch, which I think could enjoy some improvement. If it rains while you’re there, life could be a little difficult and wet. Take raincoats and a torch along with you.
Iguanetta

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank iguanetta
Lake Atitlan
Reviewed 27 January 2011

My group of 12 kayakers paddled into the lagoon of Finca Tatin just as the last rays of the sun were fading. With only the vaguest of directions collected by children playing along the banks of the Rio Dulce, we found the entrance to the back channel where we stored our kayaks for the night. The staff of the hotel had the steam sauna ready for us, and less than 10 minutes after stowing our boats we were relaxing with a cold beer and a hot steam. Dinner was served family style with huge heaping plates of delicious foods. The conversations ranged from English, Spanish, Portugese, Dutch, German, and Mayan.
Some of our rooms were literally on the edge of the river, while others were on nice pathways up in the jungle. Every aspect of this jungle lodge is professional and first rate. One of the staff is also a massage therapist, and we were happy to keep him busy for the time we were guest of the hotel.
They have a huge book of activities that would keep anyone busy for at least a week. Take the time to explore the waterfalls, hike the jungle into Livingston, or visit the hot springs.
I can not wait for my next return to the Rio Dulce and my new friends at the Finca.

Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Livingston
Hotel Villa Caribe
#2 of 3 in Puerto Barrios
Amatique Bay Resort & Marina
Amatique Bay Resort & Marina
#1 of 3 in Puerto Barrios

Been to Hotel Finca Tatin? Share your experiences!