“The bestest in Guatemala”
Review of Hotel Finca Tatin

and 1 more site!
Hotel Finca Tatin
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Livingston
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Definitely not a luxury bungalow resort if that is what you are looking for but if you want a decent stay in a friendly and affordable jungle retreat, this is your place.
kayaking to livingston is a must.
be aware of the scorpions!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Finca Tatin

Reviewed 5 April 2012

Finca Tatin is a great place to stay whether you are traveling alone, as a couple, or with a family. It is located directly on a fresh river that is free to swim in without fear of any predators. It has a main area where you can charge your electronics and dining area that is great for the family dinners at night. The family dinners also allow for great conversation with the other people staying there. The food is great, and the opportunities to travel are even better.

We went to international waters in Belize for snorkeling on the coral reef for only $50 a person. That included transportation to and from there, lunch, and downtime on the white sand beaches of the islands. it was an incredible experience. We also had the chance to go on a 5 hour hike through the jungle, seeing the wildlife and plants in the wild with the help of a guide.

It is only a short 20 minute boat trip from Livingston, and for a short trip, it is well worth your while.

On the downside, it is very hot year round, as I was sweating the majority of the time I was there. It is also located in the jungle, so animals come out at night. There were multiple animals jumping around our bungalow, but once we figured out that they could not get in, we slept just fine. I would definitely recommend bringing some ear plugs or some music for the night. The bungalow was a very night commodity as it came with a private bathroom and shower.

It only has electricity to charge electronics between 5-10pm. But, they do have solar panels that allow for electricity during the other times, which come in handy during trips to the bathroom at night.

Room Tip: I would recommend to stay in one of the private bungalows for the most privacy. They have their own...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank captgingebeard
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We had made and got it confirmed, a reservation for a bungalow at medium price (about Qu 180). When we got there, we were asked if we wanted one overlooking the river, to which we agreed. Only later did we find out, that those cost Qu 240, we were not told. Of course it is our own fault for not asking.
On the sheets were small dead bugs, in the shower a crab run around and beside the bed on the wall sat a 4" spider. Of course we were surrounded by the jungle, so what do you expect? It was left as natural as possible, very few trees cut, which I usually find admirable, but it made for a very dark place, I missed the light. The only sun one could see was right at the river.
We stayed two nights and the rooms were not cleaned, I asked for fresh plastic bags for the bathroom garbage and took care of it myself. This was the most we ever paid in Guatemala and the only time the rooms were not cleaned every day!
The food was excellent, but for dessert we had to pay extra.
Check out your bungalow carefully. There are also dorms.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Purplecat8104
Reviewed 8 March 2012

We found this place looking on the internet for the Spanish School. Soon we learned it is not a bed & breakfast and there are no Spanish classes. The surrounding of Finca Tatin looks beautiful, the river is great to swim but it is dark and dump inside the bungalows. Make sure your mosquito net is intact as there are definitely some bugs and scorpions. As soon as the generator goes off at night there is no light. We had to play cards with our headlamps on as the candles were not allowed. We felt somewhat uncomfortable with the attitude of the staf, a bit haughty for our liking.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank alex v
Reviewed 3 March 2012

This gem was a 20 minute boat journey up the river. Our cabana was on the river bank. the room was spacious with an ensuite shower and toilet which was quite basic but adequate. Plenty of space between cabins. Walk ways over the swamp gave a feel of living outdoors. The river was safe to swim in and was a fabulous cool off at the end of the day. We ate together at night and it gave us an opportunity to meet other travellers and the food was delicious! We left for livingston in a canoe, hubby did most of the gentle paddle and I sat back with the camera Finca transferred our luggage to the hotel the staff were very helpful.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Although I find value in most things and places, I am not easily impressed.
This might have to do with the fact that I grew up and live in New York City
and that Dominican Republic is also home.

There are -of course-, places that upon encountering them, manage to impress me,
but no other place has mesmerized me more than Finca Tatín as a destination.

For a few years now, I have made Finca Tatín my destination of choice,
I return to it as often as I can -once or twice a year, during different seasons-,
which is in itself a remarkable feast given my demand for excellence and self-fulfillment.

A "Hotel in the Jungle" as it is known, but to me personally, it is more than a hotel.
The glorious settings, the accommodations, it's exceptional service and the -by now- familiar and friendly staff, make Finca Tatín my favorite place to return to,
not just "scape" but to SIMPLY come alive.

(Disclosure: over the years, I have become friends with the staff: Carlos, Gaby, Paulo
and Carlo's Kids who vacation there every year)

-Carlos Reynoso

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank carlosrey
Reviewed 10 January 2012

The common areas at this finca were great and the food was good. We were in what appeared to be an older bungalow and had not been cleaned (animal feces in the bed) the bathroom sink had termites, there were spiders everywhere and the bug net was full of holes. Some of the other bungalows looked like they were in better shape, so if you do choose to stay here I would recommend being very selective about where they place you.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank elriotravels
Also consider these accommodations in or near Livingston
Hotel Salvador Gaviota
Hotel Mansion del Rio
Amatique Bay Resort & Marina
Amatique Bay Resort & Marina
#1 of 3 in Puerto Barrios

Been to Hotel Finca Tatin? Share your experiences!