“horrible food, rude staff, quite a sham”
Review of Hotel Finca Tatin

Hotel Finca Tatin
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Livingston
Reviewed 24 July 2013

went for a romantic trip with my hubby, as we arrived we got off on the dock and wandered way to the back to find a table full of people that had blatantly ignored us. Even though we had made reservations no one even got up to say hello, it was as if those at the table had to draw straws to see who was unlucky enough to talk to us. We finally got our room and started to relax before dinner to our surprise, here comes a youth group of around 40 hollering and hooting very loudly. We got up and headed to the main lodge area because everyone was eating. We wander into the mess hall looking confused, meanwhile all of the staff and including the owner are just staring at us like we are idiots. I guess the youth group ate an hour before the normal guests, but i had to ask one of the students what was going on. The staff was entirely inattentive not to mention rude. The only person who showed us any common courtesy and kindness during our stay was the owners youngest son. He was very friendly and outgoing. I hope one day that kid runs this place because the grounds are truly stunning and with the right person this place could and would be a goldmine. As for now, I have no idea how Finca Tatin made any type of travel destination award.The food was also very, VERY bad. Every night starts with a bad soup and the meals we had were meatballs on rice and a

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 July 2013

I am the coordinator for a team of 39 that stayed at the Finca Tatin while working on humanitarian projects nearby. Coordination with the Finca was a joy. They were easy to coordinate with, offered consistent and delicious food, were flexible with the constant changes of our teams' needs, and even extended their help with our humanitarian projects.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 July 2013 via mobile

We heard about this place from another review which said it was a 'must do' when visiting Guatemala. They weren't wrong! This has to be one of the best places I have stayed. It gives you a real sense of being in the heart of the jungle.

We arrived into Livingston and were picked up in the Finca Tatin boat by Joseph (the very friendly and helpful hostel organiser) which can be organised quite easily with the hostel depending on your time of arrival (either 12.30 or 4pm). We stayed for 3 nights and would have stayed longer if we could. We opted for a more active few days but you could quite easily kick back in a hammock for the entirety of your stay and not be disappointed... We took the kayaks out for the first day and paddled up river for a few hours which is a great experience and allows for some stunning views of the jungle and surrounding mountains. You can take one of the smaller tributaries off the main rio dulce (ask Joseph) and and are cast into the heart of the jungle, surrounded by wildlife and the sounds of the animals. I really recommend it. Apparently there is a manatee reserve a little further on foot but unfortunately we didn't venture this far.

Our time back at Finca Tatin was spent jumping off the ropeswing into the surprisingly warm waters. Great fun and a real rush!

Our second day was filled with a 4 hour jungle trek back to Livingston. Setting off at 8.30 we were there in time for lunch and return via boat at 4pm. A guide can be organised through the hostel. It was a great opportunity to see some of the wildlife as we came face to face with snakes, tarantulas and toucans. It was brilliant but not for the faint of heart as we were well and truly wiped out at lunch time. Id advise some good footwear and lots of water! You also stop at a vantage point which allows for sweeping views of the Rio Dulce and surrounding mountains.

The hostel itself is excellent, blending seamlessly into the jungle. We stayed in a 3 person bungalow right on the river for ~300Q a night. The evening meals are a great way to meet other guests as everybody sits down together at 7pm for a family style meal. The food was excellent offering real variety and a taste of local cuisine. There is also an honesty policy in place where you tick off everything you eat/drink/do and pay at the end of your stay.

All in all a brilliant stay at a brilliant hostel.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Leezy8989
Reviewed 20 June 2013

From the moment that you arrive you realise that this is a special place. The atmosphere is relaxed and the staff very attentive. The cabins by the river are just wonderful-an honesty system for guests is the way that the restaurant and bar works. The owner is really friendly and helpful. Just realise that you are a boat ride from anywhere

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Sue L
Reviewed 16 June 2013 via mobile

Great atmosphere, lots of activities provided by staff, food is excellent and not overpriced.
Rent a kayak and go exploring the river!

Only minus - mind the mosquitos as it is located over a swamp. Awsome vegetation and wildlife but bring a repelant

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Finca Tatin was recommended to me by a Guatemalan friend and it was well worth the trip. My plan was to stay as a stop over between Tikal and Utila, but it was so relaxing and enjoyable that I stayed 5 nights. Carlos and Gabby are fantastic owners and seem to attract the right type of guests. The communal dinners every night are a great way to meet other like-minded travelers and swap travel plans / ideas. Its location on an offshoot of the main river gives it a very private feel, where you can relax in the water all day long on the intertubes or use the rope swing. There's even an old-fashioned steam room when you want a break from the river. Plenty of nearby hiking and kayaking expeditions, and it's not too far from Livingston / Puerto Barrios for transportation to other places. Looking forward to my return trip!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Stayed here from 04/21-04/24. I was looking for a place where I could forget about the world and I found it! Finca Tatin its located about 30 minutes from Livingston (by a boat ride). I was picked up at 9:00 p.m. from Livingston, the ride by lancha (boat) was amazing!! Despite the fact that it was pitch dark and could not see what surrounded me, I was mesmerized by the beautiful moon, stars and gorg river. Jose the hotel manager was incredibly sweet and accommodating. I stayed in a room on the third floor of the first tower. I paid about $12.00 per night. My bedroom was super comfortable and clean. It was amazing to fall asleep listening to the sounds of nature and the river flow. YES there are tons of bugs!! But of course you are in the freaking jungle so if nature is not your thing I do not recommend this place, however if you love adventure, nature and peace you will think this is a piece of heaven.

The food was YUMM!! They usually serve a typical bfast Beans, eggs, fried plantains and sour cream. They also have an American bfast. For Lunch you can get pizzas, burgers, wraps, salads. Dinner is served at 7:00 p.m. It is served family style which is awesome because you get to mingle with other guests.

I plan to go back to Guatemala in a year, I cannot wait to bring my family and friends to this awesome place!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Livingston
Hotel Salvador Gaviota
#5 of 8 in Livingston
Hotel Puerto Libre
Hotel Puerto Libre
#3 of 3 in Puerto Barrios

Been to Hotel Finca Tatin? Share your experiences!