“I'm coming back to finish what I started”
Review of Hotel Finca Tatin

and 1 more site!
Hotel Finca Tatin
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Livingston
Jacksonville, Florida
“I'm coming back to finish what I started”
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I loved the meals, the attentive staff, the guests who were also there, the solo kayak ride down the river to the hot springs and the "bat cave", the big black dog that seems to greet each new arrival, the serenity of the river, the design of the hostel (is it a hostel ???), oh the dinner and breakfast. I love food and I love good food. Oh where was I...just loved experiencing parts of Guatemala people rarely get to see because they typically head the other way (Antigua , etc, ) when the get off the plane. I loved being in the jungle. I wish I had more time to see it. I was only there for one day, so I owe myself another trip to Guatemala. Oh i stayed in the dorms on the 2nd floor. I wanted a private room but I was going day by day and booked the day before.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Lanquin, Guatemala
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We came to the Finca Tatin in a group of 12 people. The whole staff cared so much about us, we had a great time. Even there are differences in between the rooms, they all are really nice. The setting in the jungle is breathtaking. Thank you very much!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Livingston, Guatemala
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I had a great stay at finca tatin. its really a special place in the middle of the jungle!
you arrive and from the 1 moment i felt like home. the staff is very nice and they try to help where ever they can. the food is very delicious. I am a vegetarian, so they cooked specially every night a vegetarian meal for me! Thank you!
the bungalows are very clean and comfortable. of course sometimes you find some bugs around...but this is normal if you decide to stay in the jungle.
they have lots of hammocks around to chill in or kayaks for discover the river.
I definitely gonna come back next year!

Room Tip: the rooms close to the river are very nice!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Finca Tatin is the most wonderful place to stay in I encountered on my trip to Guatemala. The location is amazing, the staff friendly and easy going (but not intrusive), the food fine and plenty (home style family dinners are served around 7.30 p.m.). Try the crepe with fruit for breakfast, they are really tasty and big!
We had the Mariposa cabin, right at the river bank, which is very pretty and atmospheric. Additionally Finca has a good communal area with hammocks and benches that you can hang out at.
We started each day from a jump in the river, which is calm and warm to swim in. If you're up for something active, the 2 hrs kayak trip to Livingston might be the thing for you. The sights are amazing! You could also choose the 4 hrs hike through the jungle, but it's not for wimps, says wimpie ;). You'd better be in a good condition, because it's not a leisurely stroll. Halfway through I bitterly regretted the idea, but well, we made it in the end!
As for doing the laundry mentioned in the previous review, it is possible to dry it. Finca has a drying space with clothing lines in the sun and a dry room with electric fans. Just look it up on the hotel map or ask the staff.
Additionally they have a gym and a sauna.
One thing you might want to consider is keeping your stuff in a waterproof bag, or drying everything in the sun regularly. Due to high humidity everything gets moldy. After a week I grew fungus on my jeans; but hey, you're in the middle of the jungle, so what do you expect? I find it a small price to pay for the most wonderful, relaxing week during my trip. Every evening we played cards with the staff, Gerry, Jose, Gaby and Louis and we shared lots of laughs.
I love animals, so the presence of their giant dog Negro, slightly moody cat Shuna, the rabbit Tin Tin and parakeet Luna was a great plus.
I felt at home and I'm planning to go back!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank karokat
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 18 September 2013

The place is very unique and interesting. The hotel is located by the Rio Dulce river hidden in the jungle, so approaching it by the river you can see the dock (quay) only. Stepping into the place you can discover the hamak relaxing zone, charmy little houses in the jungle (be carrefull of bugs, it is real jungle) and even gym hidden in the forrest;). The biggest social attraction is Tarzan Rope hanging above the quay, so brave travellers try to jump to the Rio Dulce using the rope and the spectators have a great fun by scoring the jumps;). Good food and drinks, however you need to remember you have to pay for everything there, so better be praperded. Very trustful way of recording who used what as you record in the book everything you have used by yourself only. Warm and friendly staff speaking Spanish and English (not all of them). Dog, rabbit and cat live there in a peace and harmony so you can enjoy really peaceful time. I have experienced the storm there and must say it's something I have never experienced before;) such a strong rain, and thunders in the dark are really impressive but the place remains safe and quiet. The opportunity to rent a kayaks and go to the Livingstone is strongly recommended as well as jump from Tarzan Rope;). We have been there together with my daughter and myself and strongly recommend to visit Finca Tatin by all travellers who want to experience real hostel in the jungle;)

Room Tip: Private rooms are good and restrooms are good quality too, Tucan house is great, however stay under...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Peter C
Kingscliff, Australia
Reviewed 17 September 2013

The most enjoyable part of my stay was the river. Sitting next to it swimming and Kayaking . Its a great place to chill out in a hammock and read a book. I feel the staff are a little disinterested and not overly welcoming but are helpful and accommodating when asking for information . They also responded very promptly to all emails .

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Sizzlingwillis
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Great place to stay right on the river with friendly staff. The area along the rivers tatin and dulce is gorgeous. The bungalows are very simple (we stayed at Mariposa - river view). If you arrange your arrival beforehand, they'll pick you up from Livingston. They also have kayaks that you can rent, and a rope swing to jump from the deck into the river. Something that we found very interesting and we liked a lot is their communal dinning system. If you want to have dinner at finca tatin, they have a fixed menu and everyone sits down at the two long tables they have at 7PM. Their portions are big and it is a great opportunity to meet other guests. In my opinion, it is completely worth it to stay along the river rather than in Livingston town.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LeandroG_526
Also consider these accommodations in or near Livingston
Hotel Villa Caribe
Hotel Mansion del Rio
Catamaran Island Hotel
Catamaran Island Hotel
#5 of 9 in Livingston

Been to Hotel Finca Tatin? Share your experiences!