“A small, friendly haven in Livingston”

Vecchia Toscana Resort
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Livingston
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Saint Jeannet, France
“A small, friendly haven in Livingston”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

Vecchia Toscana is located on the water edge, facing the ocean on the outskirts of Livingston. The hotel grounds are tiny, but Daniela and Ivan, the italian owners, have managed to fit a lovely pool, a restaurant with the best pasta I have ever eaten, and decent rooms with a ventilator and air conditioning, in this Caribbean and Garifuna nest, on the eastern coast of Guatemala, all of it reasonably priced. The best about Vecchia Toscana, apart from the authentic, home-made, italian cuisine, is the personalized service Daniela provides to her guests, setting up visits the Sapodilla cays of Belize, directly from the hotel, and arranging all transport by sea. There were renovations under way in December 2013, with the restaurant and various rooms being rebuilt, so check the status of the works, as you book your room.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Malagueta1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Bruxelles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

We want to thank the owners of Vecchia Toscana, Daniela and Ivan, for taking care of us during our stay in Livingston: thanks to them rainy days became a pleasurable and friendly stay in their resort, where we ate amazing food, from real Italian pasta to fish with tropical ingredients like mango!
The rooms are really beautiful and welcoming (with individual baths, rooms and cleaned every day and the decoration includes textiles from Guatemala hanging from the walls), some bungalows are right on the sea front, there is a swimming pool, activities to do in Livingston and around it, like the 7 Altars. So we really advice to go to Vecchia Toscana to enjoy the best of Livingston, including Daniela's friendliness and Ivan recipes !!! and ask Daniela to show her artefacts, they are really beautiful and are a perfect present !

Room Tip: Choose the bungalow right on the sea front
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Guatemala City, Guatemala
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

Really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. Probably the best room is the one right in front of the pool or just above it but I enjoyed the clean room, food and hospitality. The hotel is about 10mins walk from the water taxi point so worth getting a taxi if you have luggage. Try the home-cooked food, especially the bread.

Room Tip: The room right in front of the pool or just above that room are probably the best
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

Pros:
1. Pool is fantastic – big, deep and clean
2. Garden is excellent - huge, nice, well-maintained with hammocks, flocks of parrot’s, funny frogs, lizards
3. Very quiet and calm place, right on the beach.
4. Internet is rather fast and stable
Cons:
1. Room (we got a double) is small, gloomy and stuffy. AC is not a luxury here, but must.
2. Uncomfortable beds, shabby linens
3. Water electric heater gets broken twice a day.
Yes, it’s 15 minutes to walk to the center, but it’s perfect for me, even funny.
Nevertheless, I admit that Vecchia Toscana is one of the best accommodations in Livingston.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

Having stayed here for 3 nights I am now really surprised by the glowing reviews. I was treating myself over Xmas but it turns out it was the wrong decision. First, I was travelling alone, and it is a 15 minute walk along the beach to the town (past reviews say 5-20 minutes). I timed it. The issue with the walk is that it is not along a nice easy to walk on shore. It is up and down, across water, logs, people's front yards, restaurants etc. And when it rains, it is mucky and not fun. The whole time I was there it rained off and on which made it difficult. Plus, over Xmas there were few taxis so I was always stressed about how I was going to get back. Plus the owners have to let you in so you fell bad staying out late,.So, especially for a solo traveller, I wouldn't recommend it.

Because it was rainy I couldn't use the pool, which is clearly why it costs as much as it does. There was nobody else at the hotel while I was there so it was isolating and lonely. I didn't find the owners friendly, perhaps because I spent little time there. The restaurant had nobody in it and was expensive.

My room was super small, and for the price, disappointing. I also had to ask for them to turn on the internet all the time, again, likely as there was nobody there to use it.

I ended up moving to Casa Rosada and loved it there. Completely different environment and I wish I would have been there from the beginning as my stay in Livingston would have been so different.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Crysee
Panama City, Panama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

It´s a beautiful place. I had a great experience during my vacations in this place.The owners are very friendly. The room was very clean and cozy and the food was fantastic.
I really recommend It's an unforgettable paradise.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

The best place for relax and a enjoy of the beach or the swimming pool and the amazing italian food!
The position its strategic just on the beach and no too far from the city, just 10min by walk!
Room are impeccabily cleane,and the stuff its always available for do everything we want,they help us for organized the tour and see whats around!!
Another sweet thing its the atmosphere its frendly definitely different from all around.
We really enjoyed the food special the lobster and the pasta!!
I waw esitant at the beginning becose it wasn't in town, but than we really appreciated of our italian choice!!! Thank you for give us a lovely time!

Room Tip: Front beach bungalow!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Livingston
Hotel Villa Caribe
#1 of 3 in Puerto Barrios
Hotel Puerto Libre
Hotel Puerto Libre
#2 of 3 in Puerto Barrios

Been to Vecchia Toscana Resort? Share your experiences!