“I found heaven on earth in Guatemala / Livingston”

Dos Arboles Eco Resort
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Livingston
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Friedrichshafen, Germany
“I found heaven on earth in Guatemala / Livingston”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I found this wonderful - Oase - Vecchia Toscana in Livingston right at the ocean. Perfect place to stop and relax while you are taken care of by Daniela and the excellent italian cook Ivan. The athmospher is so charming family minded, clean and the swimming pool just cools you down after a long journey. They help you out with any question or trip..I ate fish with mango sauce....so when you are ready to spoil you and treat you well.....it's the right place. I enjoyed it so much. Thank you both for a very special time.

Room Tip: I had a wonderful bedroom matrimonial with bathroom, air-condition and ocean view....but I saw that...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Maribor, Slovenia
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We' ve spent 5 days here and ggt no discount. The room and especialy bathroom was smelly and humid. Good location on the beach, however the beach is quite poor and it takes you15 minutes to get into centre of Livingston. The english speaking staff member from Guatemala was extremely helpful, the breakfasts were below average. The resort has nothing special to offer except fantastic swimming pool and beautiful surroundings. The place would need a quite good renovation.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Simon M
ivan c, Proprietario at Dos Arboles Eco Resort, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
This comment makes no sense and honestly I do not understand the reasons of writing negative things because the reservation books indicate that he reserve for three days and he stayed with us two more nights, in total five nights. For me it is difficult to understand that if the rooms are not good ..... etc. Why he stayed longer to enjoy this hotel if it was not to his pleasntness? This makes no sense because if I do not like the place I move to another hotel.
Saint Jeannet, France
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

Vecchia Toscana is located on the water edge, facing the ocean on the outskirts of Livingston. The hotel grounds are tiny, but Daniela and Ivan, the italian owners, have managed to fit a lovely pool, a restaurant with the best pasta I have ever eaten, and decent rooms with a ventilator and air conditioning, in this Caribbean and Garifuna nest, on the eastern coast of Guatemala, all of it reasonably priced. The best about Vecchia Toscana, apart from the authentic, home-made, italian cuisine, is the personalized service Daniela provides to her guests, setting up visits the Sapodilla cays of Belize, directly from the hotel, and arranging all transport by sea. There were renovations under way in December 2013, with the restaurant and various rooms being rebuilt, so check the status of the works, as you book your room.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Malagueta1
Bruxelles
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We want to thank the owners of Vecchia Toscana, Daniela and Ivan, for taking care of us during our stay in Livingston: thanks to them rainy days became a pleasurable and friendly stay in their resort, where we ate amazing food, from real Italian pasta to fish with tropical ingredients like mango!
The rooms are really beautiful and welcoming (with individual baths, rooms and cleaned every day and the decoration includes textiles from Guatemala hanging from the walls), some bungalows are right on the sea front, there is a swimming pool, activities to do in Livingston and around it, like the 7 Altars. So we really advice to go to Vecchia Toscana to enjoy the best of Livingston, including Daniela's friendliness and Ivan recipes !!! and ask Daniela to show her artefacts, they are really beautiful and are a perfect present !

Room Tip: Choose the bungalow right on the sea front
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Guatemala City, Guatemala
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. Probably the best room is the one right in front of the pool or just above it but I enjoyed the clean room, food and hospitality. The hotel is about 10mins walk from the water taxi point so worth getting a taxi if you have luggage. Try the home-cooked food, especially the bread.

Room Tip: The room right in front of the pool or just above that room are probably the best
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Russia
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Pros:
1. Pool is fantastic – big, deep and clean
2. Garden is excellent - huge, nice, well-maintained with hammocks, flocks of parrot’s, funny frogs, lizards
3. Very quiet and calm place, right on the beach.
4. Internet is rather fast and stable
Cons:
1. Room (we got a double) is small, gloomy and stuffy. AC is not a luxury here, but must.
2. Uncomfortable beds, shabby linens
3. Water electric heater gets broken twice a day.
Yes, it’s 15 minutes to walk to the center, but it’s perfect for me, even funny.
Nevertheless, I admit that Vecchia Toscana is one of the best accommodations in Livingston.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Having stayed here for 3 nights I am now really surprised by the glowing reviews. I was treating myself over Xmas but it turns out it was the wrong decision. First, I was travelling alone, and it is a 15 minute walk along the beach to the town (past reviews say 5-20 minutes). I timed it. The issue with the walk is that it is not along a nice easy to walk on shore. It is up and down, across water, logs, people's front yards, restaurants etc. And when it rains, it is mucky and not fun. The whole time I was there it rained off and on which made it difficult. Plus, over Xmas there were few taxis so I was always stressed about how I was going to get back. Plus the owners have to let you in so you fell bad staying out late,.So, especially for a solo traveller, I wouldn't recommend it.

Because it was rainy I couldn't use the pool, which is clearly why it costs as much as it does. There was nobody else at the hotel while I was there so it was isolating and lonely. I didn't find the owners friendly, perhaps because I spent little time there. The restaurant had nobody in it and was expensive.

My room was super small, and for the price, disappointing. I also had to ask for them to turn on the internet all the time, again, likely as there was nobody there to use it.

I ended up moving to Casa Rosada and loved it there. Completely different environment and I wish I would have been there from the beginning as my stay in Livingston would have been so different.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Crysee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Livingston
Hotel Villa Caribe
#5 of 9 in Livingston
Hotel Puerto Libre
Hotel Puerto Libre
#2 of 3 in Puerto Barrios

Been to Dos Arboles Eco Resort? Share your experiences!