“Visit to the Garifuna in Livingston.”
Review of Hotel Villa Caribe

Hotel Villa Caribe
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Livingston
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I found Hotel Villa Caribe during my search for "reasonably luxury"" living. I wondered into a hotel situated about a five minute walk from the docks of livingston upon arrival from pto barrios.

The room was located on the second floor with a nice view of the property. The hotel included a nice, large pool with wooden lounge chairs around the perimeter. I did not see any lounge chair pillows or coverings for the chairs during my stay. Sitting/laying on wood be uncomfortable if you were lounging or taking in the sun.

The restaurant was pretty big and the staff were helpful with various questions regarding the drink menu. I walked the grounds and I was able to see pelicans/birds sitting/flying in and out of the trees. The hotel also offers these tree house cabanas which looked very nice and are situated closer to the water than the rest of the rooms in the hotel.

On some occasions, i would leave my key in a basket at the front desk and when i returned it would still be in the basket. I found this unsettling since staff or other hotel guests had the opportunity to access to my room while I was out.

The room came with two single beds that were pushed together to make a double bed. The beds were not built for comfort and after further inspection, I noticed a metal frame, with about 12 to 14 wood planks which supported the mattress. The room had an air conditioner, a patio for about three people and a small flat screen television. No microwave or small refrigerator were available.

I selected the hotel after Casa Nostra, Casa de Iguana, Casa Posada were unable to accommodate my needs and wants.

Room Tip: Rooms 414 to 418 all have a decent view of the hotel grounds, part of livingston and the rio dulce.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank bryant p

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Our tour guide liked to prepare us for what came next on the hotel fronts and had told us not to expect too much at this one as not much had been done to it since it had been built.. However on arrival (after hauling our cases up a steep brae from the main harbour jetty) we were very surprised to find we had been upgraded to "bungalows" outside in the garden of the main hotel .
Each "bungalow" had a name and looked like a wooden garage from the outside. On entering what a surprise! The room wwas so bright and airy as it had a complete glass wall with patio doors leading to a balcony overlooking the Carribean Sea through coconut trees and the pool below. The two beds were draped overhead with drapes of white calico/cotton material and there were 3 lamps suspended at each side of the beds and the shades were conch shells which gave the lights a lovely glow. The room had really good quiet A/C and a roof fan also a T.V.
The bed linen was crisp and fresh and the room very clean. The bathroom had some toiletries and fluffy towels and the shower window (which also had mesh on it)had the same view as the balcony.
We ate in the hotel restaurant and had a nice meal. Breakfast was buffet style witha fair choice .
When we left we went down steps to the hotels own jetty. (The guide had taken us to the towns jetty on arrival as it is easier to ascend the 200 yards upthe steep brae than the steps. She also said it was the first time that an "upgrade" had happened so we thought we were very lucky!)Absolutely loved being here!

Room Tip: Choose a bungalow- they are more modern than the main hotel as they were added in recent years.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Brandylady
Reviewed 4 November 2013

A path leads up from the jetty to the Reception area. The view on approach from Rio Bravo along a "canyon" to the Caribbean Sea is impressive. Sea birds abound. All rooms in the hotel and the restaurant have sea views. It has a large swimming pool. The seafood in the restaurant is very good- a dish of King Prawns, Pork Tenderloin and Chicken was very tasty. The main street of Livingston is just off the hotel, and the shops and stores are surprisingly good value considering the isolated position of the town. Because of heavy rain disembarkation at Rio Bravo was tricky- choice of very big step or foot full of water!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank malholme
Reviewed 28 August 2013

You can see this hotel from the water taxi dock and it is close enough to walk to. I walked right in without a reservation and the guy behind the desk, who also speaks good English, showed me a room. This is the best hotel room that I have seen in Guatemala so far. The room is big with air conditioning and a balcony. The worst thing about this room is that it has two single beds pushed together instead of one double bed. Another guy helped me with my bags. The view of the water is amazing. I went to the restaurant and ate the chicken fajitas, which were good as well. The view from my table is beautiful as well. This will be my base of operations for some site seeing tours over the next few days.

Room Tip: Pick a room high up with a view of the water.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Kyle L
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Stayed a night at this hotel, my first time to Guatemala. I was pleasantly surprised. the room was clean and spacious with a great view of the inlet overlooking the pool. I loved waking up to the sound of the tropical birds and looking at the inlet through the coconut trees. The food was fantastic. The Garifuna performance was the icing on the cake. Will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I think this might be the best hotel in Livingstone
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Estate555
Reviewed 30 May 2013

I'm just back home from a short trip to Livingstone, Guatemala traveling with two friends. We arrived in Livingstone, went straight to Hotel Villa Caribe, negotiated rates and checked in for two nights. Our rooms were very good; spacious, clean and judging by their appearance they have recently been refurbished. Airconditioning plus ceiling fans were standard in the rooms we booked. The views were terrific, stretching out across the bay and the atmosphere in the hotel was relaxed, courteous and friendly. My only moan is that breakfast was average at best but still better than most in Livingstone.
If you're going to Livingstone this is the place to stay. Forget the rest, stay at the best and remember to negotiate the rate, they are happy to be flexible.

Room Tip: The rooms we looked at were excellent; the cabanas are a little more expensive ( +$20 per night) but...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Peckhamgypsy
Reviewed 18 May 2013

I have never seen a ‘hotel’ room as dire as this one. It did not have a bed providing instead two children’s cribs which were totally unsuitable for adults. The curtains only covered half of the window which would have woken us at first light had we been able to sleep. The sheets and towels were old and torn. Cleanliness, don’t ask, my skin creeps just thinking about it. The air con was ineffective and kept cutting out. The hotel refused to move us to another room saying they were all the same. If they are going to lie like that they should ensure that they keep the room doors closed.

Room Tip: if they had good rooms they were well hidden.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank scotworldtraveller
Also consider these accommodations in or near Livingston
Posada El Delfin
Hotel Salvador Gaviota
#7 of 8 in Livingston
Hotel Mansion del Rio
Hotel Marina & Yacht Club Nana Juana

Been to Hotel Villa Caribe? Share your experiences!