“An Oasis....”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Livingston
Edmonton, Canada
“An Oasis....”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We arrived here after a long day of travel from Omoa, Honduras and were thrilled to enter this oasis of peace and tranquility. The room was lovely - light and bright with a great balcony. We could not have been happier with our room. The view we had was amazing and the price for what we got was completely reasonable. This is definitely the nicest hotel that you are going to find in Livingston by a long shot. The location is also great, right on the main street of the town and close to the main dock. We ate in the restaurant and thought the service, atmosphere, cocktails, and the food were great. The pool and the property were also lovely. This place was a splurge on our Central American adventure and was well worth it.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Nice setting in pretty gardens by the water, with its own dock.Simple clean room, imaginatively decorated with shell lamps, and with outlook over the water. Close to all the restaurants in town. we did not have dinner here, but breakfast was poor, could have been a lot better. Probably the best place to stay in Livingstone.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Medellín, Antioquia, Colombia
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

After a long travel day, including getting soaked on the boat ride into Livingston, I decided to splurge. I'm glad I did.

I had room 414 for two nights, which gave me sea/river views and a bit of town too. The pool is huge, and I used it several times. There's even a waterfall.

The hammocks by the water are perfect for watching the pelicans.

Breakfast was fine, fruit, eggs, banana bread. The usual, but the sea view made it nicer. I also clocked the internet in the restaurant at a very fast 8MB download. Wifi in my room near reception was much slower.

My one suggestion is for them to buy real beds for the rooms like mine that have two single beds pushed together. They're on a metal base with wood supports. It's comfortable enough but it looks cheap in an otherwise nice room and hotel.

Service has been friendly, and offseason rates are a bargain. I'm paying just $65/night, including breakfast.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank David L
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Villa Caribe twice during our trip to Belize and Guatemala. This is an excellent hotel for the money. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom very nice, with a cool shower. My partner really liked the bamboo towel racks. We spent some time in the pool which was also very large and beautiful, surrounded by lovely gardens. The hotel is just up the street from the docks, so that makes it very convenient. We wanted to go to a particular restaurant that had been recommended to us, and one of the interns of the hotel staff actually walked us directly to the restaurant. Awesome service. In the morning, from our balcony, we watched as the shrimp boats came in from a night of fishing. A really wonderful experience at this hotel, will definitely stay there again on our next trip to Guatemala.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Karl L
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I found Hotel Villa Caribe during my search for "reasonably luxury"" living. I wondered into a hotel situated about a five minute walk from the docks of livingston upon arrival from pto barrios.

The room was located on the second floor with a nice view of the property. The hotel included a nice, large pool with wooden lounge chairs around the perimeter. I did not see any lounge chair pillows or coverings for the chairs during my stay. Sitting/laying on wood be uncomfortable if you were lounging or taking in the sun.

The restaurant was pretty big and the staff were helpful with various questions regarding the drink menu. I walked the grounds and I was able to see pelicans/birds sitting/flying in and out of the trees. The hotel also offers these tree house cabanas which looked very nice and are situated closer to the water than the rest of the rooms in the hotel.

On some occasions, i would leave my key in a basket at the front desk and when i returned it would still be in the basket. I found this unsettling since staff or other hotel guests had the opportunity to access to my room while I was out.

The room came with two single beds that were pushed together to make a double bed. The beds were not built for comfort and after further inspection, I noticed a metal frame, with about 12 to 14 wood planks which supported the mattress. The room had an air conditioner, a patio for about three people and a small flat screen television. No microwave or small refrigerator were available.

I selected the hotel after Casa Nostra, Casa de Iguana, Casa Posada were unable to accommodate my needs and wants.

Room Tip: Rooms 414 to 418 all have a decent view of the hotel grounds, part of livingston and the rio dulce.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank bryant p
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Our tour guide liked to prepare us for what came next on the hotel fronts and had told us not to expect too much at this one as not much had been done to it since it had been built.. However on arrival (after hauling our cases up a steep brae from the main harbour jetty) we were very surprised to find we had been upgraded to "bungalows" outside in the garden of the main hotel .
Each "bungalow" had a name and looked like a wooden garage from the outside. On entering what a surprise! The room wwas so bright and airy as it had a complete glass wall with patio doors leading to a balcony overlooking the Carribean Sea through coconut trees and the pool below. The two beds were draped overhead with drapes of white calico/cotton material and there were 3 lamps suspended at each side of the beds and the shades were conch shells which gave the lights a lovely glow. The room had really good quiet A/C and a roof fan also a T.V.
The bed linen was crisp and fresh and the room very clean. The bathroom had some toiletries and fluffy towels and the shower window (which also had mesh on it)had the same view as the balcony.
We ate in the hotel restaurant and had a nice meal. Breakfast was buffet style witha fair choice .
When we left we went down steps to the hotels own jetty. (The guide had taken us to the towns jetty on arrival as it is easier to ascend the 200 yards upthe steep brae than the steps. She also said it was the first time that an "upgrade" had happened so we thought we were very lucky!)Absolutely loved being here!

Room Tip: Choose a bungalow- they are more modern than the main hotel as they were added in recent years.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Brandylady
Lewes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

A path leads up from the jetty to the Reception area. The view on approach from Rio Bravo along a "canyon" to the Caribbean Sea is impressive. Sea birds abound. All rooms in the hotel and the restaurant have sea views. It has a large swimming pool. The seafood in the restaurant is very good- a dish of King Prawns, Pork Tenderloin and Chicken was very tasty. The main street of Livingston is just off the hotel, and the shops and stores are surprisingly good value considering the isolated position of the town. Because of heavy rain disembarkation at Rio Bravo was tricky- choice of very big step or foot full of water!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank malholme
Also consider these accommodations in or near Livingston
Posada El Delfin
#7 of 9 in Livingston
Hotel Puerto Libre
Hotel Puerto Libre
#3 of 3 in Puerto Barrios

Been to Hotel Villa Caribe? Share your experiences!