Should have been a highlight of our trip, and in some ways was, but some aspects spoilt the stay a bit. Most could be teething pains and hence should improve, after all it was rather new at the moment we stayed.
* Marvellous location, direct on the lake and with magnicifent garden and lakeside promenade. Nice pool too.
* Really spacious rooms. About 2/3 are suites and that's one we got too (ground floor, slightly different from 1st floor which have a private outside bath).
* Nice restaurant, with large American-style servings
* Staff bad in English, even the front desk hardly spoke it. So worse than all other Guatemala hotels where we stayed, and unacceptable for such a top-class hotel.
* Clumsy information - e.g. no facilities directory in room, and great difficulty getting our laundry arranged.
* Primitive tour services. For the most popular trip, boat to Rio Dulce/Livingston (worth the time and money!), we had to arrange 900 quetzals in CASH as the hotel does the booking but does not act as intermediary in payments. Cash is quite difficult for Europeans in Guatemala (ATM's are more on credit cards and less on our Cirrus/Maestro debit cards), and in the end (after we had come back and finally understood their payment, Spanish Spanish...) the hotel offered to act as intermediary for a _25% extra_ charge. Not really acceptable but with knife-on-our-throat...
* Building work taking place (noise!), extra room area under construction.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Banana Palms Hotel Resort & Marina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Banana Palms Resort And Marina
- Banana Palms Resort & Marina Hotel Livingston
- Banana Palms Hotel Marina