“so,so”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Puerto Barrios
Virginia
“so,so”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

Very nice place for family on weekends, during week days nice to relax if you don’t want to do anything. Price of the food overprice, on the menu says fresh mushrooms and they are from the can, not very surprise, got the same in other cheap restaurants . My three dots rate came from the stuff very nice people, of course they don’t speak English, they’re local people I never see front desk people hotels in USA speaking different languages according to their guest. The hotel is from Clarion company owners of Gaylord hotels chain, so you can expect more from this kind of hotels but looks they trying to save money paying miserable salaries that’s why you don’t see models or playboy girls at front desk. Very easy to find, my instructions how to get there came from local people from Puerto Barrios all you have to do is fallow the asphalt road for about 10 min. on 14th street and not change your course, the road finished at the hotel, some people expect freeways gps roads in Guatemala, Are they crazy? Guatemala is a country to explore and have journeys not a Puerto Rican golf country club, if you expect high standards service stay in the city. I got nice friendly service from this people, better that I had from another countries.

Room Tip: because they have buildings with 3 or four suites request what you need.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank aluxnahual

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Kendall, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2011

This was definitely the worst hotel i been to.
It is extremely hard to find its location to begin with, and the people there do not speak any English, which makes it even worst.

When we got to the resort we were greeted by a receptionist with extremely bad breath, that foreshadow what was yet to come. The place is filthy, very unclean in my opinion.

When we got to our room there was a bug invasion, we could not sleep due to the mosquito inside the room, dont get me wrong, i am from south florida and i am used to mosquitoes but this place was insane.

The food was terrible and way overpriced, its like if they have a 5 year old cooking for them. The taste of my meal was awful and my wife got sick due to food poisoning.

I am extremely disappointed with this place, and i will never ever go back nor recommend this to anybody else.

Fred.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank fred0987
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2011

I really want this place to work out, but they have to make some major changes. I own a B&B in Guatemala City and regularly travel with my travel agent, and tour operators to find new places for my guests to stay when they book tours through us.

Problems began when we couldn't find the place and called the hotel. We were told to make a right on 14th Avenue, in Puerto Barrios, and that there was a sign at that corner for Amatique Bay. Wrong. Not only was there no sign for Amatique, there wasn't a street sign for 14th. We called them several times but they had no idea there wasn't a sign, and had no clue where we were.

Once we got there, they gave us a really nice room that I was comfortable with for $140 a night. After traveling 3 hours trying to find the place, we of course needed to use our bathroom, but the door was locked and when we told the bellman that we really needed to go, he rushed out to find someone who could open our bathroom door and never came back. We waited 30 minutes and finally walked to the main lobby to ask if we could use the bathroom there.

We arrived on a Wednesday night and there was absolutely nothing going on, which actually was nice for us because we really didn't want to do anything. If we'd wanted to, there was nothing to do but eat dinner.

The place is beautiful, absolutely fantastic and rivals any of the better hotels I've stayed in, especially in Guatemala. There seems like a lot to do there, but probably only on the weekends. (Be aware of this.)

The big problem I had was with the food. It was the biggest rip off I could have imagined from the place. The waitstaff were friendly, and the dining room manager, Ingrid, was very friendly, but OH MY GOD! the food was no better than the "street food" you purchase anywhere in the country. The difference was the price. The average dinner was Q100-Q250 ($12USD - $30) per person. I paid Q80 ($10USD) for a "Caesar Salad" that was about 6oz. in size and was comprised of shredded Bibb lettuce (not Romaine), and a dressing that was something like a lime vinaigrette, served in a bowl made of fried cheese. Awful! My spaghetti Alfredo was overcooked and the sauce tasted like nothing more than warm milk. That was Q85 ($10.60USD). The food is way overpriced and they know they've got you because you're so far out in the middle of nowhere that there's no way to travel back into town to get anything. I complained to the front desk and told them that I wouldn't mind paying Q500 for a dinner but only if the food was better than what I served in my restaurant.

I loved the air conditioning. It was great, cable was great. I'm a bit disappointed they do not have wireless for everyone. Several times I had to go into the main lobby to use their wireless services. It's just a pain, especially if you're on business.

There are a lot of mosquitoes hanging around the outdoor lights near the rooms and we found some in the rooms, but honestly I am used to that growing up in South Florida, and since it is on the beach, how could there not be?

In all, I will go back there, it's beautiful as I have mentioned, and am including this place in one of my tours, but advising people not to eat the food there. That would be a big disappointment for them.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank guatefriends
Saint Charles, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2011

My husband and I traded through Interval Internation to Amatique Bay and Resort.
The place is very quiet during the week and busy on the week ends.
We had never been to Guatemala before and the experience was fantastic.
The resort took good care of us, booking us tours and keeping us happy.
The room was wonderful, big and very clean.
The staff was very helpful and our tour guides Louise and Frernando were ther very best.
I loved it here and would return again.
The food to die for!!!
Don't hesitate. Guatemala is a great adventure!!!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ninanader
Mountain View, Arkansas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2011

As you can see from my review last year I have enjoyed my stay at Amatique Bay Resort in the past. However, I was disappointed with them this trip. On our annual mission trip to Guatemala we booked a night at Amatique Bay Resort for Friday, February 18th. Our interpreter had booked a triple room for us when he was in Puerto Barrios in December. He was concerned whether they had gotten his name correct, so he had his wife, who is Guatemalan, to call them two weeks later to confirm his reservation. She received a confirmation number and wrote down the name of the person she talked with in reservations.

We arrived five minutes after the check-in time of 4:00 p.m. and were told that no reservation was on record for us. No room was available because all rooms were booked that night. We discovered that a wedding was scheduled for Saturday and that the wedding party and friends and relatives had all the rooms for Friday and Saturday nights. We strongly suspected that we got bumped when the resort could sell out all their rooms for both nights with the wedding and didn't need us taking up just one night. They claimed that Mildred had not put the reservation into their computer system and that she has since been fired.

We decided to drive to Rio Dulce to spend the night so we would be closer to our destination in the Peten on Saturday. Amatique Bay did suggest a hotel in Rio Dulce for us to stay at and called them to make a reservation for us. Still, we were extremely disappointed in Amatique Bay Resort because we had a confirmed reservation and we were looking forward to sitting out on their beach relaxing the rest of the afternoon away. I would still recommend ABR as the best place to stay in Puerto Barrios, but I may stay in Rio Dulce on future trips so I don't have to worry about getting bumped out of a confirmed reservation.

I also rated the cleanliness lower this year because our interpreter told us that when he stayed at ABR in December that he almost stepped on a scorpion in his room as he walked to the bathroom. He also said that the room had centipedes. Anyone considering staying here should know what they are getting in to by trying to stay there. We tried but didn't get to stay there.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Razorfish
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2011

The rooms were more spacious than most. Ours had a kitchen and dinner table. The bathroom was spacious, too. The place was quiet, but a little dated. The swimming area was quite nice. Children would have a ball here. The Caribbean beach was next to the pool area. The water was shallow and you had to walk out a ways to get yourself wet. Cruise ships dock in the bay and use their pool facilities. This can make it crowded at times.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TexansAlso
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2011

We love Amatique Bay & we have never had a bad time here. In the past we've just stayed in the standard rooms but this time we stayed in one of the houses on the property. When we arrived we were surprised at how big & nice it was. We were told the house would hold 10-12 people but actually could have fit much more!! It had 4 bedrooms & 5 bathrooms & on top of that our own private swimming pool & spa. On the main floor as you enter you see the kitchen & living area with one bathroom & then one bedroom with a king size bed with its own bathroom. Upstairs are 4 additional bedrooms, each with 2 full or queen size beds & one of those with an addittional 3rd single bed. All but one has a bathroom located inside the room. The bathroom for that one is located right across from the room. The house was very nice, the scenery just beautiful. The only problems we had were fixed right away; the hot water wasnt working & we had to call a few times to get extra towels. The spa also wasnt working but we didnt mind. The hot tubs, or "spas" as they call them, arent hot. Personally i dont find enjoyment sitting in a tub with cold water. We've found this to be the case at all the hotels we have stayed in Guatemala. The Satellite wasnt working at all but they explained it was a problem with the company & there was nothing they could do at the moment. Everything else was great.
We had been sick before we left & we were nervous about leaving the city so we called the hotel & they had a nurse on the premises during their peak times & a dr 15 mins away. Luckily, we didnt end up needing it.
There is one nice restaurant on the property & one by the pool thats open most of the day. The prices vary but range from about $5-$20. They have a buffet for about $20 on the days the cruise ships were in port & about $12/13 on the days that they were not. I dont think they always have the buffet. They had it every day we were there (we were there over the holidays & the resort was pretty much full), but in the past yrs they did not. The food was pretty good. At night all they have open is one restaurant. We did not go at all this yr but we have gone in the past. We had a nice kitchen in the home we stayed in & we cooked our meals every night. In the past we thought the food was really good & cost about $15+.
The house we stayed in was quite a ways from the pool & ocean. We drove, as we had elderly people with us. The walk, when we chose to do so, was a nice one. The property is beautiful. We were with a big group & the hotel would give those of us who needed it a ride on a golf cart.
They had a lot of activities located within the resort such as volleyball, ping pong, waterslides & hommocks for relaxing, also horseback riding, canoeing & I think jet skis for an extra fee. I also came down to the pool one morning to see a bunch of people doing a fitness/dance workout. They have day tours to go out & see nearby livingston & beaches but we never made it onto one. At night they usually had activities as well. Some for families such as karaoke & games & some for adults such as a party boat which costs about $20 for 2 hrs & an open bar. Weve gone in the past & the party boat was really fun. All the entertainment at the hotel is in Spanish. Although they do announce some activities & drink specials in english I believe.
I would recommend exchanging your money for Quetzales. Things are cheaper if you pay in Quetzales. They expect 10% for a tip but you can tip up to 15% if they do a good job. They gave us a higher exchange rate for the dollar. 8.3 for a dollar, however, when we got home we were charged extra by our bank so now i have to figure out if it was the hotel that told us the wrong exchange rate or if its a problem with our bank since we have a reciept for Quetzales. If i had to do it over again i would have just paid in Quetzales instead of using my card.
On the days the cruise ships were in port several people set up shops. I didnt buy anything but im sure some things were more expensive so make sure you haggle to get the best price. Not everything was over priced. Some of my family members bought some things at some good prices. It makes it handy if you dont have extra time to get out & do shopping.
There was free wifi at the office. Also they have a little tiny store located next to the office where you could buy a few things if you need them like mostly snacks, drinks & a few odds & ends.

Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
#4 of 9 in Livingston
Hotel Salvador Gaviota
Hotel Salvador Gaviota
#7 of 9 in Livingston

Been to Amatique Bay Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!