“Ok for an overnight stay”

Amatique Bay Resort & Marina
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Puerto Barrios
Boston, Massachusetts
“Ok for an overnight stay”
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We were there for one night mid-November 2013 as part of a Gate1 guided tour and for that purpose it was OK, but the place is quite dated and we certainly would not go there for an extended stay.Service and all was very helpful & friendly and their restaurant was fine, Lighting in the room was minimal wattage and dark, The layout is that of a resort with scattered clusters of buildings with 2-4 rooms each, therefore study the map and bring a flashlight for going to the restaurant at night. The WiFi in the room worked well but required someone coming over to install a router that somehow worked by simply plugging it to a 120V AC outlet - US$12. It all depends on why you are visiting that area.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rodrigt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Portland, Oregon, United States
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We went during the off season and the weather was still up in the high 80s every day with scattered showers. Only twice out of the 10 days did it rain so hard it was miserable.

OHHHH!!! If you follow Google maps make sure to go all the way into Puerto Barrioes and take 14 out to the report. The road Google told us to take is unfinished and if it weren't for my husband paying close attention we would have ended up in a 12 foot ditch!!! Also the food in the city of Puerto Barrios was pretty bad. The resort food was decent though so we ate there most of the week.

The staff was soooooooo incredibly friendly and went out of their way to serve us. Many only spoke Spanish but knew some English and a few who knew a lot. I speak Spanish but my husband didn't. Every hour there is at a minimum of one office staff who speaks great English. They played our music over the loud speakers for a while and let us do mostly what we wanted. I'm 30 and had a BLAST on the slides :) I was able to get wifi without cost and the whole place has trails and interesting things to look into. There were pretty much lighting and thunder storms every night that were pretty incredible. Unless you got caught in the downpour. If that happens they have golf carts they will come the you in. Because the power went out on us they gave us a decent discount off out food bill.

All in all, it was a great trip and I would recommend to othes.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jennifer W
Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

We were warned that the hotel was nice, but dated. Thank goodness.
The pool exceeded our expectations. The water slides were fun, the water warm and clean, and the towels were free (although a bit of a procedure to get). The pools are large and one is very deep. There are lots of chairs and the private beach and dock are very secluded. There were some kind of bug that kept biting me as I laid out, but they didn't bother you in the water. The beach water looked too gross to swim.

We got the biggest rooms available. We had one room with two queens and the living room had three concrete benches with futon mattress which our daughters reported were not comfortable. There were ants in the room too, but we bought bug spray at a nearby store.

The restaurant food at night was good, but overpriced. The steak was well prepared. The lobster was tough and the rice was nothing special. There was a cockroach in our menu which my husband killed in front of the waiter. Although the waiter did put out his hand to take away the bug, no apology or free meal was to be had. I guess you are in the tropics. Breakfast had a big buffet, but it was overpriced at 90Q. I got the continental which came with coffee, juice and toast only. We will eat the rest of our meals at the apartment.
Wifi is not free. You can get a password for $3, but you have to use it in the office area. You could get a router for your house for $8 per day.
Overall, it could be a very nice property, but it needs a lot of money to go into upkeep. In a few years the place won't be livable.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Prreader
AEstrada, Director General at Amatique Bay Resort & Marina, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Hello Prreader,

I'd like to thank you for the time you took to write this comment. I'm glad to know you found our facilities nice and had a good time as a family. However, I'm really worried about the things that weren't so pleasing and I sincerely appologize for the inconveniences. We are taking the necessary actions to correct this issues and stay focused on our pursuit of excelence.

I truly hope you come back soon so we can show you how important your experience with us is and that measures are taken to improve.

If you have anything else that we colud do to improve, please do not hessitate in contacting me at a estrada@amatiquebay.net it would be a pleasure to get in touch with you.

Best regards,

Augustin Estrada
Amatique Bay Resort & Marina
San Salvador, San Salvador, El Salvador
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I afraid of sickness or any dangerous condition when travel to any country specially cool places like central america or an amazing place cause of my little girl, shes just 2 years old!!
My family and i decide to spent a great time on Amatique Bay, but after 9 hours on the road my daugther get a hard bacteria, we arrive to the hotel whit high temperature , vomits, in 2 mins ago they take us to nursery and receive first aids. Next day my daughter was really sick, we ask for a hospital , they inmediatelly took us to a first level hospital; nurse, operations manager and customer service staff stay whit us in the hospital making sure for a first level attention, making sure our security and avoid any robery or related !!! we spend 3 hours at the hospital, and everybody stay whit us all the time. Its the best emergency service and customer service i never received at first level hotels in rest of the world. My family and i recommend this hotel for your children and family.

Room Tip: Family rooms are the quiet and confortable rooms for kids
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Rene Gilberto L
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Reviewed 3 January 2013

The Amatique Bay Resort is ok. Like so many things in Guatemala, they built it without considering maintenance. It's looking a bit worn. The restaurant serves decent food. The pools are fine. What makes this place is sunset over the water. It is by far the most upscale place I'm aware of in the Puerto Barrios area. But then Puerto Barrios is a port city first and foremost. If you need a place to stay for one or two nights in the area, this will work. But be careful of the price. I can't believe someone paid $207 for a room here. It would have been expensive for Guatemala at half the price.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank BrianAtTheBeach
Guatemala City, Guatemala, Guatemala
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Amatique Bay is a complete ripoff. The resort tries to make itself into a US style timeshare but completely misses the mark. I live in Guatemala, so I understand that Guatemalan hotels are not usually up to the same standards as in the US and I can accept that, but this place was awful. First of all, the price of $207 for a night was completely unreasonable. Secondly, the cold water handle in the room had to be forced with 2 hands to get it to work. Thirdly, when I asked if I could leave my car at the hotel for an extra 2 days while we went to Belize, I was told no - despite the fact that I had just paid $200+ for a room and was willing to pay extra for the parking, and despite the fact that it was low season and the parking lot was only a quarter full. Don't waste your time with this place.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
14 Thank GuateAndy
Punta Gorda, Belize
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I stayed at Amatique Bay this weekend with 3 other women for a girls' weekend trip. The resort is beautiful, very clean, amazing service, and wonderful food. You can easily find a staff who speaks English and they are so helpful. I plan to return with my husband and hopefully more family. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
#1 of 9 in Livingston
Hotel Salvador Gaviota
Hotel Salvador Gaviota
#7 of 9 in Livingston

Been to Amatique Bay Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!