“Great Location, Clean and Very Nice Owner”
Review of Casa Dona Mercedes

and 1 more site!
Casa Dona Mercedes
Ranked #12 of 33 Quetzaltenango B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Location, Clean and Very Nice Owner”
Reviewed 22 August 2011

This hotel is cear the center of town, has nice rooms, a roofdeck, and in general a very nice place. The King and Queen is my favorite bar in town and just around the corner along with laundry service and the center of town just a few blocks away. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: I'd ask for a room with a in-suite bath.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 8 October 2009

From our experience in June '09, here are a few things to consider if you plan to stay at Casa Dona Mercedes:
Cleanliness: Fleas or bedbugs in the mattresses of our room gave us little itchy bites. We were too embarrassed to mention this, but fyi, our room was upstairs across from the laundry room.
Price: We paid US$55 (prices are in dollars). This was too much compared to other hotels. As there were plenty of vacancies in town, we should have negotiated a lower rate. When we extended our stay, Michelle, the owner refused to give us a price break.
Guest House atmosphere: Guests mingle and cook in public areas. It's all very friendly, however, if you are like me and not always in the mood for socializing with your fellow guests you might prefer a traditional hotel.
Noise: There is a nightclub in the same block that plays loud music until around midnight.
Bring earplugs.
Casa Dona Mercedes is centrally located which is a big plus. We love Xela - not as touristy as Antigua - and stayed here for 6 nights. If you require a guide (highly recommended), ask for Eli, through Adrelina Adventures, who speaks excellent English and is very knowledgeable of the local area.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank AnnetNicholle
Santa Monica, CA
Reviewed 19 August 2009

This 9 room guesthouse in the center of Zone 1 is well located near the Parque Central. There are numerous restaurants and bars nearby, many of which are quite good. The guesthouse is clean, safe and well run. The owner, Michelle, and her two employees are friendly and efficient. There is a kitchen shared by all the guests, but while I was there only a few used it. The price is excellent. My room was larger than I expected for the price and the bed was comfortable.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 17 July 2009

I just returned from a 6 week research trip to Xela and spent most of my time living at the Casa Dona Mercedes. Michelle, the proprietor; Mario, her adorable 12 year son; and Juan and Julio, the two employees, made my stay comfortable and just like home. It was a wonderful, warm, and friendly atmosphere.

There is a fully equipped kitchen with a cute little dining patio, which I used everyday. I stayed in a downstairs room with a shared backroom down the hall, although I usually had it to myself because most people preferred the private baths upstairs.

Since I was on the bottom level, I had no street noise and the only thing that ever woke me up was the birds chirping in the mornings, which was a lovely alarm clock! The only downside was that I didn't have a window, but that made it nice and cozy and even more quiet. There's a sun-drenched patio just out of my door, so I didn't really need the window.

The beds are made daily and sheets changed weekly, and the rooms and bathrooms are SPOTLESS. The new water heater means that showers are boiling hot, which was wonderful. There is also free wireless internet, which was awesome.

Overall, I wouldn't stay anywhere but the Casa Dona Mercedes in Xela, because of the great people, confortable rooms, and wonderful atmosphere.

Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank grfletcher
Quetzaltenango
Reviewed 24 June 2009

Very friendly atmosphere, a loving familiy who runs it, helpfull staff, very nice kitchen, a small roof top terrace and a nice inside area. They have cheap handmade books, small purses and wallets for sale. A quiet and comfortable place to stay for a couple of days but also for longer periods!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 28 April 2009

I stayed here for just over 3 weeks last September while studying spanish at a local spanish school. I was immediately impressed in the location and by the friendliness of Michelle when I first enquired about a room. When I checked in Juan immediately made me feel welcome and comfortable. This continued throughout my 3 week stay with many chats with both Michelle and Juan in my gradually improving spanish! The facilities, especially by Guatemalan standards, were 1st rate. The bed was a bit hard, but this is the case nearly everywhere in Guatemala! There was a bit of street noise from local nightclubs nearby but these did not go extremely late as would be the case in other major cities. Also I checked in just after Independence week celebrations and was here over the feast of The Virgen of the Rosary.
Overall I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone. The price may be higher than some other places but you definitely get what you pay for!

• Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
Seatttle
Reviewed 22 April 2009

Clean is the first thing I notice when I'm here. Juan takes great pride in keeping the rooms and common spaces immaculate. I've stayed in three different rooms over three years and find them all spacious and comfortable. The above noted street level noise falls off as the microbus traffic decreases in the evening. The staff are very gracious and I like to think they have become second family. I make use of the second level sun patio for my vitamin D enhancing pastimes (reading/ sunning). There is a broad range of restaurant choices within a 3 block range of the Casa. Half a block away is a major microbus stop providing instant access to all parts of the city. Parque Central, two blocks away, is an active part of the local culture and worth visiting daily to watch the dynamic of the city. I always feel safe in this Zona 1 neighborhood.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo