Casa San Bartolome
Pension Bonifaz Hotel(Quetzaltenango)
Hotel Las Americas(Quetzaltenango)
Villa Real Plaza(Quetzaltenango)
  • Free Internet
All reviewsquiet at nightwater pressureplantscapitancasaxelacornflakesowner
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Casa San Bartolome is a very lovely small hotel just a short walk from Parque Central in Xela. It is quiet and very clean, hot showers, a great staff, and quick and easy breakfasts for only 25Q in the garden dining area. I stayed 14 days and was happy to have a relaxing place to retire to each night, away from the noise and bustle of the center city. A short walk to restaurants, shopping, and Spanish language schools make this a very convenient location. I recommend to all who want a private room and bath in a clean, well maintained and well managed small hotel. Rates are a bargain, especially for extended stays, and worth every penny.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 December 2013

We looked at multiple places in Xela, and decided to stay here and loved it. The service was excellent, always with a smile. Very clean, SUPER hot shower (really important in COLD Xela), they gave us a space heater upon request. We had dinner there and while simple, it was very good. I really appreciated the service, and it is very obvious the owner is involved in the management of the place.
Don't bother looking elsewhere, stay here!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I can't say enough nice things about this bed and breakfast. It's in a small neighborhood that is (depending on how quickly you walk) a pleasant 6-10 minute walk from the center of town.

It's in a colonial-style house with 3 rooms on the main floor and 3 rooms on the second floor. I believe all rooms have a private bath. There is lovely art everywhere and the rooms are all decorated in a Colonial/Mayan style with colorful bedspreads, locally woven heavy blankets, and other nice touches.

There was also good wifi in the rooms, which is important to me. Two questions to ask when looking for hotels in Xela are 1) Does the room have WiFi access? and 2) Is there hot water?

I was traveling alone and my room (which included a nice breakfast) was about $30 USD per night. I felt it was excellent value. I had a bad experience at Hotel Modelo (the bed was rock hard and very uncomfortable). When I explained this, the staff showed me 3 available rooms and asked me to see which bed I liked best.

The restaurant is located up on a pretty, plant filled terrace. It can get a little chilly so I suggest you wear a jacket or wrap if you're up there early.

Casa San Bartolome was simply perfect. They also offer a menu of good, simple, tasty food that they'll deliver to your room. Some evenings I had a glass of wine and an entree, and on 2 of my nights there I had hot chocolate.

Again, don't be put off by the fact that this lovely spot isn't smack in the middle of town. You'll appreciate how restful and relaxing it is.

Room Tip: If you prefer a quieter room, I suggest staying on the main floor. The dining area/terrace is on the second floor, so if you stay up there you'll hear people who are there to eat, etc.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Tamara_in_Antigua
Reviewed 23 October 2013

My daughter and I spent 8 nights here and had a wonderful stay. Anabella and her staff made us feel like we were right at home. I took the wrong suitcase at the airport in Guatemala City, only realizing it upon our arrival in Xela. As soon as we got to Casa San Bartolome and I told Anabella what had happened, she offered to pick my suitcase up at the airport the next day and was immediately on the phone making arrangements for me to return the other person's bag, as my Spanish is very minimal. If not for her kindness, I would have spent another 8 hours on the bus back and forth between the airport and Xela, using up a day of our vacation together.
Besides the accommodating and sweet people here, the hotel itself is quiet, clean, and charming. The food was delicious at every meal, and there was always pure, filtered drinking water available.
I would highly recommend staying at Casa San Bartolome!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are ideally located. There are two rooms with kitchenettes.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I loved this place. I came to Xela on business for a week and needed a place where I could get a really good night's sleep to be able to approach each day with fully-charged batteries. Not only was it quiet and relaxing, but also beautiful -- the gardens, the rooms -- and friendly. Annabel and her staff are warm and kind. Returning here in the evening, I got the feeling that I was coming back to a friend's place, rather than some anonymous hotel. Breakfasts are excellent, with many choices in a green setting. On a few occasions, I walked to the Central Park -- just 10 minutes along safe, interesting town streets. If I can be just 10 minutes away from the center and enjoy this kind of quiet at night, I'll take it any time! Why stay right in the center, with all its noise during the hours when I just want to sleep, in order to save myself a mere 10 minutes (or deprive myself of a 10-minute walk off the beaten tourist path)?

Room Tip: All of the rooms looked good. Mine was right next to the breakfast area; I would ask to avoid this in the future.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business