“I am back.....”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Casa Manen

Hotel Casa Manen
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Quetzaltenango
Hotel Casa Manen
Ranked #16 of 35 Quetzaltenango B&B and Inns
Tampa, Florida
“I am back.....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2012

This is my 4. time back to Casa Manen. I so enjoy the Bed & Breakfast . There are several wonderful decorated rooms , some with fire places , a welcoming woolly rope awaits you for the cool evening, the beds are firm ,The breakfast is plentiful and tasty. The staff is friendly , however they do not speak English, it was good for me to practice my poor Spanish .I always visit the end of November and the house is decorated for Xmas , with each visit I wish I could stay longer. The property is close to the center easy walk .Looking forward to my next visit. Thank you for taking such good care of me.

Room Tip: All rooms are good , some with fireplaces
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Bruni J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Orlando
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2012

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Casa Manen. The location is perfect to explore Xela and is on a quiet street, so little outside noise. We liked the way the rooms open up into an open courtyard with good views and just one floor up is the terrace that is a great place to relax with a beer and the available WiFi. Our room was perfectly acceptable with lots of blankets for the cool Xela nights and warm bathrobes as well. The water was warm enough for me, but not hot enough for my wife - the only reason did not rate as "excellent". I agree with the other reviewer that breakfast was good and a healthy start to our day.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

The location is perfect, one block from the main plaza. The hotel is a beautiful building with interior courtyard, big rooms...but the furniture and the bathroom are in great need of a freshen up and we doubted the cleanliness of the room also... Breakfast was really good and there was enough to keep us going until supper!

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Lady_Betsie
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

I stayed there with several others for 5 nights and had a wonderful experience. The staff are soo nice and attentive, breakfast every morning was great! the owner is an amazingly helpful woman and very well connected and knowledgeable about Xela. Also it is a 3 min walk to the town center which is awesome! I would definitely come back here the next time i am in xela!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank jsandhu
Guatemala City, Guatemala
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2010

I just called this hotel to make a reservation for this upcoming week. Yes, I am a gringa speaking Spanish, but my goodness, this woman hung up on me when I was speaking. When I called back, she then told me that my Spanish was bad. Can you believe it!!! I will not be staying here.........EVER!!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2010

I know Quetzaltenango well having worked and lived in Guatemala for a very long time. I decided to stay at Casa Manen because of what it advertised and having visited it when it first opened. Unfortunately I cannot recommend this place for either leisure or business. Quiet in the center of Xela may not necessarily be the norm, however I found the noise level from the street unacceptable for a place that advertises itself as an oasis. The rooms shook with the cars going by it. The rooms were very musty and the service was not up to standards for the rates that are charged. Decide for yourself, but there are other options and I would suggest you check them out. Charging $60- $90 for rooms with electric shower heads is beyond me. There are cheaper places that offer hot showers without the possibility of shock. The breakfast was nothing worth repeating and the coffee was obviously burning for over an hour by the time it was served. We headed for Cafe Baviera in search of finer java following breakfast. The Dos Tejanos restaurant recommended by the hotel's staff and operated by the same owner was dismal in food quality. We ordered "sizzling platters" that came luke warm on cool platters. Again, I believe there are tastier and more economical options around town. I kicked myself for expecting good TexMex in Xela! Then again, I can find decent Italian, French, etc...
If you want to spend this much for loding I'd rather go with Hotel Modelo, a classic in the center or even Pension Bonifaz as both have greater charm and functionality than what I found here.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Wolftree
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2010

I'd agree with everything other people have written about the great breakfasts, nicely decorated rooms and good location. What particularly impressed me was the way the staff reacted when I had to rush back to Guatemala City in a hurry. I'd found out that there was a risk of the roads being blocked (due to a political protest) the following day, when I was due to travel, and that could have led to me missing a flight. So I wanted to leave that evening, even though the buses had all left for the day and people generally avoid travelling at night due to safety concerns. Not only did the staff help me find a driver who could take me far enough from Quetzaltenango that I was past the road blocks, one of them even travelled with us to make sure I arrived safely in a hotel. True service that was very much appreciated.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo