“Great Family Operation with beautiful rooms!”
Review of Hotel Casa Manen

Hotel Casa Manen
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Quetzaltenango
Hotel Casa Manen
Ranked #15 of 33 Quetzaltenango B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I enjoyed every aspect of my stay at Casa Mañen. It is a small hotel with maybe 10 rooms, just two blocks from Parque Central, and it run by a husband and wife with their two daughters. You enter through a garden oasis courtyard and the rooms are on two levels, on two sides of the courtyard. I had a room with a fireplace but every room has a heater as well for those people for whom blankets alone are not enough. The room includes breakfast, which is cooked to order each morning by the wife and served by the daughters. The rooms are very nicely furnished and are kind of like staying in a Guatemalan culture museum or perhaps a well-off Guatemaltecan's home. The family has two small dogs that roam freely in the property so that could be a concern for some people but they were not a problem for me. I would definitely not hesitate to recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Every room is different so choose according to your needs. There is a room with a loft and one suit...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank TravelerMarty

Reviewed 3 August 2013

To be the FODOR CHOICE for Xela the reviewer never stayed overnight in Room 1 on the ground floor on the corner of what turned out to be a busy street. The beds were lumpy and the linens were threadbare with holes in them. Albeit it is an old home but it looked dirty and was cold and damp and the one space heater was not enough to get it warm enough to even take a shower in the daytime. The next morning I fled town back to Guate saying my high blood pressure was bothering me as the staff and owner or manager were nice. Overpriced and do not stay here is my advice. It cost me $90 to get to and from Xela just to stay in this bad choice for me. Move on!

Room Tip: If you MUST stay here be sure to get a 2nd story room and if possible on the inside and not on the s...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank LS M
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I spent close to a week here, and was very happy. I had just come from a hotel in Antigua that was twice as expensive, and service and comfort at this hotel blew the one in Antigua out of the water!

Yes, the decor on the rooms looks like my grandmother's apartment crossed with colonial, but it was very comfy, and I thought homey. My room was spacey, with a nice, comfy bed, a sofa, and a very small desk. It was cleaned daily, including changing my sheets and towels. No funny smells or concerns about the cleanliness. They also provided me with a continuous supply of purified water, which you have to pay for in many places.

The bathroom was small, but did the job. Like most of Guatemala, there wasn't hot water in the sink, and you need to learn to use a shower with an electric heater - turn the water all the way on to get the pressure going, and then slowly start to close it until you get the temp you want. Its really not hard, and I have thick, waist-long hair that I was able to wash with hot water without a problem.

The breakfasts were AMAZING for a free breakfast. I was first served waffles with fruit, and was happy with just that, when the cook came out to ask how I wanted my eggs, and I was served a whole second course! The coffee was typical Guatemalan, i.e. fairly weak; anyone looking for a strong cup of coffee in Guatemala needs to go to a speciality coffee shop, but you will find that at any hotel.

The staff was incredibly friendly and attentive - I'm wondering if some other reviewers confused the shyness of the cook/cleaning staff with rudeness. I found them to be incredibly helpful, friendly, welcoming, curious ... One morning they saw me coming out of my room with laundry that I intended to take to the laundromat, and they offered to wash it free of charge! Overall, as a woman travelling alone, I also felt that they looked out for me and always made sure that I was being safe.

The wi-fi does only work in public areas.

Yes, the streets are loud, but you find that anywhere in Guatemala. I've stayed at all sorts of hotels all over Guatemala, and have found that it is close to impossible to get a perfectly silent night of sleep. There was no noise from within the hotel, as I have experienced in other places.

The hotel is very centrally located, with an easy walk to the central park and close to restaurants, tiendas, and bakeries.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Rebecca A
Reviewed 13 February 2013

Relaxed, comfortable hotel. May not be the cheapest option in Xela, but we were glad we chose it. The rooms are traditionally furnished, warm and very clean. There is a choice of ground floor garden, first floor balcony or roof top terrace to sit and enjoy the sun when you have had enough of exploring Xela. Very good breakfast included in the price. Wi fi free. Only down side is the electric shower which was only just warm enough.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 January 2013

The hotel has a nice garden; offers good location close to the central plaza and provided warm courteous service!
The breakfast is included in the cost of the room and is very generous: fruit, wafles, eggs, beans, bread and coffee. The only item lacking was a map of the city.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 17 December 2012

This is my 4. time back to Casa Manen. I so enjoy the Bed & Breakfast . There are several wonderful decorated rooms , some with fire places , a welcoming woolly rope awaits you for the cool evening, the beds are firm ,The breakfast is plentiful and tasty. The staff is friendly , however they do not speak English, it was good for me to practice my poor Spanish .I always visit the end of November and the house is decorated for Xmas , with each visit I wish I could stay longer. The property is close to the center easy walk .Looking forward to my next visit. Thank you for taking such good care of me.

Room Tip: All rooms are good , some with fireplaces
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Bruni J
Reviewed 18 November 2012

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Casa Manen. The location is perfect to explore Xela and is on a quiet street, so little outside noise. We liked the way the rooms open up into an open courtyard with good views and just one floor up is the terrace that is a great place to relax with a beer and the available WiFi. Our room was perfectly acceptable with lots of blankets for the cool Xela nights and warm bathrobes as well. The water was warm enough for me, but not hot enough for my wife - the only reason did not rate as "excellent". I agree with the other reviewer that breakfast was good and a healthy start to our day.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple