“Great location and great atmosphere”
Review of Hotel Modelo

Hotel Modelo
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Quetzaltenango
Guatemala City, Guatemala
“Great location and great atmosphere”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I stayed in this beautiful hotel for just one night, I was visiting Xela city and this is the best hotel I could find, it is located in a great area and it is really close to everything, for example the main park is just 3 block away. The rooms are amazing!!!! with hot water, tv and guess what?? a fire place as well!!! so it was a lovely and romantic escape for me!!! the breakfast is included in the price and it takes good, specially the juices!!!, I really recommend you this hotel, the service is also good, the only inconvenient I found is that it can be a bit noisy in the mornings... ahhhh if you are going to use the fireplace, ask in the front desk for the wood, they are going to charge you extra (Q.40) but it worth it!!!! do it before 7pm... after that it will be difficult to get it. By the way, to beds are really comfortable!!! LOL

Room Tip: Get the rooms near to the dinning room!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AxelRene

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Oakland, California
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stayed an extra night partly because this hotel was so nice and easy. The wonderful front desk clerk Marla took care of me from tha start, bringing me tea for my stomach from the mountainous busride in to Quetzaltenango. The hotel is very warm and beautiful. Breakfast is included and fabulous! Lots of fresh fruit. The location is good, between the central plaza and regular neighborhoods. Rooms vary, but we ended up with a beautiful one the last night. Not only would I recommend this hotel, but I plan to stay here again!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank anne t
Warminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I stayed here with a friend for two nights, we had a spacious room with antique furniture and very comfortable beds and a bathroom with the hottest water in Guatemala so far! The staff were very helpful assisting us in making reservations for our onward journey. We only ate breakfast here which was very good.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Libby1609
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I recently stayed at Hotel Modelo in Xela & it was an wonderful experience. My room as well as the hotel was very clean. I only ate breakfast there & it was very good. I had a fireplace in my room to help with the chill. thank you for a wonderful time

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Karen L
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Excellent stuff. Absolutely adorable spacious rooms with antique-style wooden furniture, thick walls, high ceilings, and blooming patios reminded us of old times prosperous colonial houses. Rooms have coffee makers with coffee of their own roast (at least, it tasted like that). Plentiful breakfast feeds the joy of staying there. Very recommended!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Skrynnik N
Washingt
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I'm not giving four stars simply because the shower had no water. Now I can handle cold showers, but I want to pay cold-shower prices for that kind of place. I told the woman at the front desk and she said she'd look into it, but that didn't change the temperature of the shower. I was able to use a glass and the very hot water from the sink to wash myself in the shower...i know, I know...no visuals.. I'm just sayin'.

My room was off the main lobby area, so it was a bit noisy. On night in particular an elderly woman was singing to some children. I wasn't real happy.

The staff was a bit overly cordial. The kitchen staff was a more welcoming, but I only ate breakfasts there, which, by the way, were pretty good. Certainly very filling.

In spite of the bar and restaurant, I didn't get the feeling that I was really settled during my three day stay. There was no one in either the bar or the restaurant most of the time, so rather than go and have a nightcap to look though my photos or talk with a local about what to see in town, I simply retired for the evening.

The room was clean and comfortable. I'm not picky, though. As long as there are no bed bugs, I'm happy. This room was clean. Oh...there was a coffee pot with coffee waiting for me every day. Great! This alone make me give the hotel a four rather than a three.

The staff was very helpful for making sure I could make my taxi to the the bus to get back to Guatemala City. They know the distances and how long it will take to get from A to B.

BEST: A staff member got me a taxi to take me to some local towns for about 200 Q. This taxi driver was a fantastic guide (Brian?). He and I got along well; he showed me some off-the-beaten-path places I never would have seen alone. This was a highlight of my who adventure.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms directly off of the lobby.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Lin G
Guatemala City, Guatemala
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Is the best choice that me and my family could pic and is full recommended for everyone that want to rest and have a perfect vacation.

It has a perfect location at downtown with good restaurants and places to shop.

The old fashion style is perfect because it preserves the simplicity like being at home.

The food is like made by grandma and is perfect and the service is 5 stars!!!

Stayed January 2014