“No complains about the hotel itself.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Tikal Inn

Hotel Tikal Inn
Belize City, Belize
“No complains about the hotel itself.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

At the beginning of July 2014, I lead a tour group from Belize City to Tikal, where of course whilst there, i had to use a guide from their neck of the woods to conduct the tours for me.
Couple months prior to my arrival, I was doing some research on Tikal Inn and Tikal Lodge.
I emailed both places but choose Tikal Inn for this trip.
The room I stayed in was comfortable, nice and clean with screens on the windows. The Staff were very courteous and helpful.
However, the Receptionist that took good care of us is not the same person I was communicating with from the beginning, for the person who i was communicating with is apparently in Guatemala city. I wish I had the Hotels direct contact then, caz i had so many questions for them before I got there. and they either never bothered to answered my emails or took long to answered them. I was about to change my hotel because of this.
BUT, the Actual staff at the hotel, made it up to me. I am really happy with the service they provide me and my guest.
We booked the dinner and breakfast package. with the complimentary sunrise tour. the Guide who took us for the sunrise tour spoke good English and took care of my guest. on a side note, if you are doing the sunrise tour expect the unexpected. We never got to see the sunrise, for it was to misty. But, the way how the call of the jungle lets you know that day break is here is amazing.
We also did the sunset tour the day before, with a different guide. who took us to a different section than the sunrise tour guide. I wish i could have had the same guide that did the sunset tour with us for the sunrise tour. But if only i knew better.
My stay at the hotel was quite relaxing especially having the swimming pool in the middle of the jungle, the calls of the animals and birds at night adds to the adventure and thrill of being in the jungle. I would certainly use this hotel for my next trip. cheers and don't let the bugs bite, while you sleep. lol. and be prepared for the electricity to go off at a certain time and be back at a certain time cheers.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Loved it here - such a special place to stay and so glad we stayed in the park. We stayed in a big room by the swimming pool. Loved sitting there at night and watching the fireflies. Swimming pool was lush! Rooms are big but nothing special but you aren't here for the hotel room! Food was good and tasty. Staff we are excellent. Amazing variety of birds and animals in the gardens of the hotel. So thrilled to see hummingbirds and toucans as we sat by the pool.

Roxy took real time to give us excellent advice on wildlife and the ruins. We LOVED the sunrise tour. Given by an archeologist, sorry can't remember his name, incredibly informative and fascinating. Tikal itself was one of the most amazing places I have ever been. Please stay in the park to experience the quiet evening and early morning - we had the place to ourselves. Bring some bug repellent!!

Thanks for a lovely time.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kat19b
usa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

I read all of the reviews before booking the Tikal Inn for one night so my expectations weren't very high. I booked the package for a junior quad pool suite with dinner, breakfast, and complementary sunrise tour for $208. It wasn't easy communicating by email so I finally called the hotel to make sure my reservation was confirmed.

I used Antigua Tours to arrange transportation throughout our trip and asked them to organize private transfer to and from the Tikal Inn. It seems they just subbed it out to Tikal Inn as the vouchers I received had the name of Tikal Inn for transport. There should have been a driver with a sign with our name on arrival at the airport. No one was there but there was a driver with a sign for Tikal Inn so I spoke with him and after some time just said we'd go along with them. There actually weren't any other guests as we arrived early in the morning so we did end up with a private transport.

We arrived at the hotel and were surprised that it was so rundown. The manager seemed a bit befuddled about our reservation and said our room wasn't ready. We were much earlier than check in time but the place was almost empty. We had to repeatedly ask if we could use a bathroom to change into swim suits and use the pool. It was very hot and humid! When he finally said our room would be ready it was the wrong room. The correct room was clearly printed on the reservation confirmation I had from them. We had to wait longer.

We did eventually get the room near the pool and it was ok. We totally understood we were in the jungle and weren't looking for much. It wasn't until we decided to walk over to the Jungle Lodge for lunch that we wished we had made another decision!

The Jungle Lodge was much nicer. I asked to see a bungalow room and that and the dining room were much larger, brighter, and in better condition. The pool area was more updated as well.

The food at Tikal Inn wasn't as bad as we had anticipated. The pancakes and special syrup for breakfast were actually quite tasty. The manager again become confused by our arrangements for a private driver the next day. We were happy to leave.

We had arranged for a private guide with Francisco Florian for a sunrise tour. He was quite knowledgable having spent over forty years in the area. We used a Tikal Inn guide for a sunset tour (switched our complimentary tour) and Enrique was a young man who was fantastic! Going into the park for the sunset and sunrise (about 7 hours total) was enough time for us. It was so hot and humid it was tough going during the day. We were ready to leave for Flores and a hotel with AC by 10AM.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank BCA
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed for one night - the reason that you stay in this place is for the proximity to the park and the fact you can then do the sunrise or sunset tour. It isn't because you want fantastic accommodation or food. Our overall feelings reflect this as the actual hotel is average at best due to the lack of competition but experience as a whole (particularly the sunrise tour) made it worth it.

Accommodation wise, we took a hotel room which was $US 100 for a one night package. On arrival we were told paying by credit card was a 7% fee which differs to the information provided to you in advance. It was a very basic room but it was clean and did the job. Dinner and breakfast is included in the package. Dinner was a bit of a disaster as we waited an hour, which is a long time given it's a basic set menu. The food wasn't great although breakfast the following morning was much better. Drinks aren't included at dinner but we took a bottle of water in and there were no complaints.

The front desk staff were very helpful as we were trying to arrange travel back to Flores earlier than the 3pm free transfer offered by the hotel. They introduced us to the park rangers, who added us on to a post breakfast private transfer that Jaguar Inn had already arranged for some of their guests. This cost 50Q per person but I assume it varies depending on what has already been arranged.

The real highlight of the stay was the sunrise tour which we'd highly recommend doing as we felt it added so much to our own exploration of the park the previous day. There was only us and one other couple. We didn't see the sunrise as it was foggy, which seems quite normal, but the aspect we enjoyed was the chance to walk in the dark which meant we saw different animals. In addition we really valued the knowledge of our guide - he had studied archaeology at university and could decipher many of the glyph blocks and pointed out lots of features we hadn't noticed when looking around ourselves.

Room Tip: Keep in mind that they only have electricity and hot water for a few hours a day in the morning and...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank e-s03
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

I have to admit this review is long in coming but has nonetheless been in our hearts and minds since. We were doing a one day Tikal tour and decided to check out this hotel before we left in the evening.To our surprise,many of the staff were on their way to a full moon tour of the major pyramids at that same time.Ricardo and some of his guys invited us along with our 2 year old son and off we went.It was needless to say an amazing experience and beautiful walk among the bats and chirping critters.After returning,Ricardo invited us to stay at the hotel due to the lateness of the drive back to Flores at that hour.He could not have been more sincere and considerate of us and we enjoyed the hotel immensely.The pool really is a focal point and considering the high temperatures during the day it is not just a luxury but a necessity.I would go directly to stay at the hotel instead of finding something in Flores if I returned again.Everything is designed with style and comfort without losing the ambiance of the remote rainforest.Thanks again to Tikal Inn and it's wonderful staff.Alex,Reneyda and Landon

Room Tip: Bring your own good flashlight
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Alex M
Redditch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

WE stayed here for 3 nights, the temples were amazing so could overlook anything else.

I am not young but with he help of others got pulled up or crawled on hands and knees to get to the top of the temples, just tremendous, you cannot believe these ruins! Sunset tour was very good but not so enamoured of the sunrise one, best thing was walking through the jungle and hearing the howler monkeys howl in the pitch black!

The hotel was good, fairly basic but shower was Ok and the bed was large and comfy, food not too great but again Ok and it was nice to cool off in the pool.

Our transfers were good, bit surprised to have to pay park entry on the way to the hotel but it all worked out well.

So Glad we saw this and like I say the hotel was good, staff very nice and food/drinks fair, the beer was good, cold and wet !

Good wildlife, saw lots of critters!

Room Tip: We should have had a jungle room but there was a mess up, pool room was good.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lambkin21
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Pros:
Great tour guide for sunrise tour
Excellent location to access Tikal easily by foot
Very friendly front desk and restaurant staff
Reasonable food and prices (don't expect too much in the location)
Bungalows were a good size
Wasn't too busy, was given a late checkout

Cons:
Bathroom quite dated
No electricity to charge items in rooms during the day
Water turned off during night
Electricity on 10am-3pm, then 6pm to 10 pm, but that doesn't mean you can charge items in your room ( bring spare batteries to be sure)
Major negative was that one was promised certain transfers at certain cost. Management then adamantly disputed this, despite producing email confirmations, blaming the booking operator, however note that the email came from the brother of the pair of siblings who run the inn.
No fans operate during night due to lack of electricity, despite it being still humid.

Overall, after persistence and patience, this was rectified.

Bring: deet spray and long /light coverings. Definitely bring flashlight for sunrise tour and bathroom at night.

Was offered discount for cash in usd relative to quoted rate. Exchange rate to quetzales was inflated by about 7-10% relative to quoted usd rate if paying by credit card which was also a nasty sting given debit cards had not been working ( forgot to pre advise my bank before attempting to withdraw cash in guatemala). All these factors led to stressful time. Heard others at front desk and per reviews complaining re misleading transfer information also.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
#1 of 1 in Tikal National Park
Villa Maya
Villa Maya
#2 of 22 in Flores

Been to Hotel Tikal Inn? Share your experiences!