Marble Hill Farms was an amazing find in Roatan. Having been to Roatan several times in previous years, we were looking specifically for a place to stay away from the crowds and "tourist" areas for this trip. Months of research led us to choose MHF, and WOW are we so very pleased that we did. It was like being dropped in the midst of a tropical paradise with the greatest staff and natural surroundings anyone could ask for.
First, I must say that we are outdoor/nature people. This is not a place for someone who is looking for the all-inclusive resort experience. The casita we stayed in (#3, one bedroom) was right near the shore with a lovely view and very comfortable - rustic, but had two roomy (hot) showers, a comfy bed and living room area. The kitchenette was sufficient for our needs - but we are used to camp and boat cooking with limited space and appliances. Marek even brought us our own little kettle grill so we could cook outside, which was above and beyond and very sweet!
The Place: We were welcomed at the airport by Marek, our host, who shared a lot of information about the island as we drove the hour to MHF. We asked a lot of questions, and he cheerfully filled us in on the area and what to expect. We stopped at Eldon's in French Harbour for supplies and continued to MHF. We pulled in, and what a gorgeous setting :) You truly feel secluded (in a GOOD way) and the smiles and welcoming of all the staff made us feel immediately at home.
Jana, the second half of the fantastic management team, welcomed us at the main house. All was in order, and they set us up in our casita, which as I said was just perfect and more than we had hoped for. Jana, by the way, was prompt and very helpful in communicating with us before the trip by email. She even handled our reservations while she herself was on vacation!!! Above and beyond, as was the norm for all things we experienced and Marble Hill. :)
Food: The restaurant (The Crow's Nest) was not only a lovely setting, but had excellent food and great staff. Good drinks, very healthy portions and absolutely delicious fresh everything! We even had lionfish and conch seviche the last night that was simply out of this world! Don't forget to taste the homemade jams, jellies, hot sauce and salsa they make on premises. Not to be missed along with fresh squeezed guava juice. YUMMY!
Staff: We had the luxury of being the only guests here for the majority of our stay. The staff, however, was always available and so very pleasant from Marek and Jana, to the maid Lily (who even cleaned the barbecue grill!!! again above and beyond!) to the smiling and courteous security guards. Edward, the boat pilot and dive instructor, was charming and very competent. We always felt safe and well taken care of.
Amenities: As I said, we chose MHF for it's location away from the touristy areas of Roatan. Our trip was to relax and enjoy the reef, snorkel and soak up the island beauty. We couldn't have chosen a more perfect spot for this. We enjoyed taking coffee or a drink down to the double decker dock located just a brief walk from our casita where an unobstructed view of the reef, the moon, sunrise or sunset was always available. Tropical Island Divers is the dive shop run by MHF, and we were fortunate indeed to have Marek as a guide on several dive excursions including our favorite to Pigeon Cay. Marek would take the divers down and advised us where the best snorkel areas were (he said we were the luckiest snorkelers...we saw lionfish, puffers, a sharp-tailed snake eel and tons of beautiful coral and reef fish). Marek was a really knowledgeable and fun guide, and knew right where to go and when so it wasn't crowded with other dive boats. We had use of a sea kayak which we paddled all over the area - there are many things to explore and see if you are interested in nature as we are.
We miss Jana and Marek's little slice of paradise, and encourage you to experience it for yourself. If you are looking for a tranquil, safe, home away from home in Roatan, this is the spot. We can't wait to go back SOON and are still eating delicious tropical jams and hot sauce we brought back wishing we were still sitting on the dock listening to the ocean and spotting little fish in the clear blue water and listening to the mockingbirds sing good morning.
Final note: Joe has been to Roatan several times, and this was my first trip. We visited West Bay one day during the week and that was where he had stayed in previous years. I can't tell you how GLAD I am that we did NOT stay in that tourist mess. Marble Hill Farms is the ONLY place we will stay in years to come.
We went in December right before the Christmas rush. It did rain for a bit almost every day, but nothing that deterred us from any outdoor activities. Weather was perfect - 85 during the day, 70s with a breeze at night.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Marble Hill Farms, a rustic eco-lodge, is a 26 acre property situated on the East end of the exotic island of Roatan, Honduras. A peaceful paradise awaits you in the tranquil gardens and startling blue Caribbean waters that encompass the pristine coral reef. Here you will find quiet stillness and natural beauty all around. The sights, sounds and scents of our tropical fruit gardens will be sure to cast their spell as you find yourself captivated by hummingbirds, iguanas and other island creatures that make their home at the farm. Marble Hill Farms is a place for those who are ready to get away from stress and step into a truly relaxing experience. Whether you are dining in the treetops at The Crow’s Nest, diving our playground of coral reef, flying on a kite board, or enjoying a swing in a hammock, you will find yourself leaving behind the frantic pace of your every day life and slowly catching the quiet rhythm of the island. Visit our Facebook page for updates and specials! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Marble Hill Farms reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marble Hill Farms Hotel Roatan
- Marble Hill Farms Roatan, Honduras - Bay Islands