“Perfect!”
Review of Half Moon Resort

Half Moon Resort
Ranked #34 of 42 Hotels in Roatan
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Visiting Roatan to scuba dive with my family and I chose Half Moon because it had a room with 3 Queen beds. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Food in the restaurant was very good. It was a short walk to the center of West End, but was secluded enough that it was very quiet. The grounds were beautiful and well kept. The snorkeling was excellent. We only had to walk 2 minutes to Scuba Roatan to go out on the dive boat which was excellent also! It is not fancy, but is clean, pretty, well maintained, and on the water with a lovely shore. It was very reasonably priced with everything we needed.

Room Tip: All rooms have a hammock and a porch. We were in room 11 with 3 Queen beds.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank momongo

Reviewed 3 October 2013

Air conditioned rooms, at no extra charge, are a big plus at Half Moon Resort. Even more important is the excellent snorkeling just steps from each cabin. Really, it was the best shore-accessible snorkeling on the island that we saw experienced.

The staff are friendly, service is excellent, good food on-site, and West End shops and restaurants are easy walking distance. This is the best place for affordable accommodations, access to shopping and food and immediate access to the water that we saw anywhere. You could get more polished rooms for a price, but these were perfectly comfortable and quiet.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank buddhafinder
Reviewed 26 September 2013

My first trip to Roatan was in 1996 and I stayed at this resort. I have been back to Roatan several times since 1996 and am planning a further trip there next April 2014. The accommodations were excellent and the staff in the restaurant and bar provided excellent service - they remember you too! Each time I have been back to Roatan I make it a requirement to go regularly to the Halfmoon Bay restaurant and have the Coconut Shrimp for dinner. On all the past occasions the Coconut Shrimp was the best I ever had - probably because Roatan has a local shrimping fishery and the restaurant made it with fresh grated coconuts. On one trip I had the Coconut Shrimp for dinner every night of my stay - call me crazy but it was goooood! There is an excellent, protected snorkelling area right off of the restaurant frontage as it is located right next to the reef. If you want to try the West Bay beach for snorkelling I did not find it as good as at Halfmoon Bay in the West End village. I recommend Halfmoon Bay resort as a convenient place to stay if you are planning a trip to Roatan. It is located on the eastern side of Halfmoon Bay and is only a short walk to all of the West End village businesses. The location is away from the main village area and as a result I found it to be a fairly quiet place to stay. I'm hoping to go back next April as mentioned above and yes - the Coconut Shrimp at Halfmoon Bay Resort restaurant will be my first dinner back on Roatan.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank mexicopete
Reviewed 20 September 2013

At the end of a long, stressful summer, I was looking for a place where I could relax, snorkel, eat, and just enjoy myself. I stayed here for a week and it was all that I was looking for. If you are looking for fancy bathrooms, an elegant beach, and huge flat-screen TVs, this is not the place for you. But if you are looking for simple cabins that are near enough to the water that you can just throw on a bathing suit, pick up your snorkel gear (free loaners to guests), and be in the best snorkeling around within minutes, you'll like this place. You start to see coral and fish a few yards away from the stairs into the water--and if you go further out, it gets even better.

When I wanted to go to other snorkeling spots around the island, I just walked a very short distance to Scuba Roatan, and hopped a ride on their diving boat at either 11 or 2 ($15). While the divers did their thing, I did mine and got to see the Blue Channel and Turtle's Crossing.

I ate at the restaurant several times, and loved the pineapple pancakes and the coconut grouper. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful, and I saw their consideration to other guests as well.

The shops of the West End aren't far, and I found some neat places to eat--try the fish burritos and garlic lobster at Cindy's; the chicken just about anywhere, and the fish tacos at the Cannibal Cafe. I didn't have a bad meal when I was there.

The cruise boat did come in on Wednesday, but there were only about 8 who visited the resort (it was low season), and I barely noticed them.

At the end of the week was a fishing tournament and Independence Day (the days leading up to September 15) and I enjoyed the booths, and the food, and the music. I also enjoyed going back to the Half Moon Resort, and discovering that even though it was fairly near the action, the secluded location of the resort meant that it was quiet.

I loved this wonderful tropical jungle paradise . And it was affordable too: $52/night/.

Room Tip: 1 through 4 are right on the water. I was in 3 and loved it.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Sandra H
Reviewed 8 September 2013

The bay in front of this resort had the best snorkeling on the island, and it is just steps away from each cabin's veranda. Parrotfish, octopus, lobster, shrimp, barracuda, scorpionfish and more in clear water that is warm and shallow. The rooms are air conditioned with basic amenities, including a fresh carafe of ice water provided daily. There is a restaurant on-site (tip is included in the tab) and many more within easy walking distance. The staff is friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KelliMcK
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I had the opportunity to stay at Half Moon Bay Resort last week (Aug 24-31), and the place really exceeded my expectations. I was looking for a quiet, peaceful place, with food close close by, and snorkeling close to shore. This resort is ideally located in the calm waters of Half Moon Bay, where I literally stepped out of my room, took 10 steps, and was in the water snorkeling. The snorkeling in the bay is fantastic, and if you are a strong swimmer, you can snorkel right upto the wall dropoff. ABSOLUTELY TOP NOTCH. The room was nice and clean, with 2 beds, a very cold a/c :-), and it was nice to be able to open the shutters and let the ocean breeze cool the room. As the other reviewers have pointed out, this is not like the resorts like West Bay, which are way too touristy. If you looking for a place on the water, with peace and solitude, with a fantastic restaurant on-site, in a rustic atmosphere, with VERY helpful staff on-site, with very warm and caring owners who deal with any issues in a heartbeat, with comfy rooms and fantastic snorkeling literally at your doorstep, then come stay at HMB resort.. The best thing, the value for money. I paid 45/- per night for a 7 night stay, and that was an absolute steal!!!. Unbelievable !!!
I am already planning my next trip to Roatan, and will definitely be staying at HMB.

Room Tip: choose a room away from the entrance.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank spestonji
Reviewed 11 August 2013

HMB Resort is just as excellent as it was in 1998 when my wife and I were here with our children. It is in a quiet section of the West End and you can experience fantastic snorkeling a few steps from your lodging. There are a variety of the air conditioned cabin locations - right on the bay to tucked away in the trees - and all rooms are simple but clean spacious and made out of a beautiful tropical wood. Oh yeah, each room also has its own balcony/deck with a hammock. The rates are better than other hotels of similar size and quality and teh service is friendly and attentive.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple