“Lovely Retreat”
Review of Upachaya Eco-Lodge

Upachaya Eco-Lodge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Upachaya was a great place for my friends and I to stay during our first nights ever in Roatan. The rooms, pool and dining areas are all beautifully built. It has a peaceful and comfortable feel to it; almost like a bed&breakfast. Barb is an incredibly nice hostess and an AMAZING cook. I would probably go back for the food alone! There is no beach to walk to but Barb has a driver who can inexpensively take you wherever you would like to go. Very friendly and trustworthy. I would recommend to anyone looking for a relaxing getaway.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 4 May 2013

Upachaya is a wonderful little place surrounded by trees, tropical plants and the bay. The grounds were beautiful. Barb and the staff were beyond accommodating, making sure your stay is peaceful and serene. The food was incredible. Cannot say enough good things about this place, definitely a steal for the price!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Upachaya is a soul nourishing place. The grounds are beautiful, but the peace and harmony radiate from the staff---from the cook, to the driver, to Barb, the owner. Mario, the snorkeling guide, helped me practice my Spanish and offered extra assistance to those who could not swim! The cook prepared an excellent vegetarian lunch. Marco, the driver, gave an informative and interesting history of the island.

By far, my most poignant memory of Coxen Hole was of a young boy, who started walking with us and ended up being our guide. "Where can we get a cup of coffee? Where is the grocery story?" The streets were very muddy, and he told us several times to watch our feet. I looked down and saw mud squishing between his toes. "Where are your shoes?" my companion asked. "I don't have any," he said. We bought him shoes and food and helped him carry it home. "My mama will be so happy," he said. I could not forget about him when I returned home. I emailed Barb with his photo. Within two days, she had found him and invited him and his mother to Upachapa for a celebration, and helped us transfer some money to his family. I will never forget that.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 April 2013

I stayed just over a week at Upachaya and absolutely loved the location. Great place to get away and be at peace with yourself and nature. Barb is an excellent host and tour guide of all the flora and wildlife on the grounds. I highly recommend the snorkeling tour as well. Al was a super guide pointing out all the exotic sea life.
The rooms were all unique with very nice decor and cleanliness.
Although I didn't have the opportunity to enjoy one of Barb's yoga classes I did take advantage of the Mangrove center and took my yoga mat out one morning to do my own routine in her peaceful sanctuary. The pool is a great place to lounge and suntan with a good book.
At night the pier is a great spot for stargazing but take a torch down so you don't need the pathway lights on.
I'm looking forward to signing up for a retreat at Upachaya very soon!
Thanks for an enjoyable getaway!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 March 2013

After reading the reviews on trip advisor I called to book a snorkelling trip. All that was available was kayaking, something my husband and I did not feel comfortable with. Barb put on another excursion for the 4 of us and it was amazing. Starting with Marco our driver, he was very talkative, and answered our questions about the island. When we arrived we were graciously welcomed by Barb. Alejandro and Mario took us snorkelling and it was fantastic!! Alejandro came in the water with us, showed us tons of fish, eels, octopus, a barracuda, conch, sea urchin. And the highlight, we followed 3 giant rays around, it was incredible! We returned to have a wonderful lunch, hosted by Barb. She told us about Upachaya, it is a very lovely place. When we return to Roatan we would definitely stay there!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 March 2013

Hello, I took a group of women to a 7 day retreat to Roatan and we stayed at Upachaya. Each room also had air conditioning for those who tend to get warmer. The staff was lovely, warm and gracious. The meals were well thought out, fresh, beautifully prepared and organic or fresh, locally grown ingredients. Upachaya also has a lovely pool with water fall an deck to enjoy. The weather was not too warm but the mosquitos are everywhere. That was the only down side to Roatan. Make sure you take good repellants that work. Upachaya gives good service, beautiful location, friendly staff and excellent yummy meals...gluten-free or whatever your preference is.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are bright, colorful and comfortable. Staying on the ground floor was what I enjoy...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 March 2013

This is definitely for those who wish to get away from it all. After the initial shock of being unplugged I thoroughly embraced the experience. Barbara, the owner and lady of the lodge goes beyond the call of duty providing some of the best meals I have had on Roatan including her wonderful company. Also she is an excellent yoga teacher. Do try the kundalini yoga class held on Monday and Friday mornings - an invigorating way to start the day! Currently Upachaya lodge is an undiscovered gem - this will not last for long...!? I hope to return for her forthcoming detox retreat in the fall. Thank you Barbara for treating me like a friend and for what was an uplifting experience.

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed comfortable opening out onto a porch with a wonderful view of the indigenous fl...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo