Upachaya Eco-Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Puerta Azul(Sandy Bay)
View Hotel
Hotel Cay View(Coxen Hole)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
Barefoot Cay Resort(French Harbour)
  • Breakfast included
Mayoka Lodge(Sandy Bay)
View Hotel
All reviewskayak snorkel tourcruise shiphealthy lunchisla roatanmangrove forestdelicious vegetarianfishspecial giftcole slawwonderful excursionreef dropsyoga instructormahogany baythatched rooflocal economyworld class snorkelingincluded lunch
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I spent a week at Upachaya and loved it. From the time I got off the plane, Barb made sure that I had everything I could possibly need. Driver waiting at the airport? Check. When I realized I would like a car to explore the island, she called 4 rental places to get the best deal. The location is far enough to surround yourself in peace and quiet, while close enough (though a vehicle is recommended) to both the beach and local action. The food was great, relaxing at the pool was sublime. I'd recommend this place for people who want to travel to Roatan but don't want to be surrounded by the hustle and bustle of cruise line day visitors.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 January 2014

When you arrive at Upachaya you immediately feel at home and relaxed. Barbara and her staff do everything they can to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. Coming from New Orleans I was worried about the food situation. I shouldn't of been. Barbara is an outstanding cook! I have eaten at many places around Roatan and Barbara's cooking is by far the best I have had. Everything was delicious, from the fresh mango bread in the mornings to the fresh lion fish at night. Everything just tasted clean and fresh. I recommend this to fly fisherman as well. There are many opportunities for permit, bonefish, and tarpon just behind Upachaya.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I enjoyed my stay at Upachaya very much. Barbara the owner is a delight. Conversation over meals with other guests is great. The setting is just right, especially at night with the wind rustling through the leaves and the stars filling up the night sky. The rooms are spare but very clean. Having a harbor attached to the property is very convenient because you have easy access to the reef, snorkeling, kayaking, swimming, and other water activities. You're also a short cab ride or drive to other sites on the island. I'd recommend renting a car if you plan to do much around the island during your stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 10 January 2014

To start off Barbara (the proprietor) is fantastic - we felt seriously at home and were able to relax without worrying about anything. The food prepared for us was natural, healthy and very tasty. Barbara is also a yoga instructor so we convinced her (thanks again Barbara!) to lead us in several sessions while we were there.

My fiancee and I went to get away for a few days in late December between Christmas/New Years and decided on Upachaya because it looked calm, relaxing, etc. We were right.

Upachaya is tucked away in a fairly remote part of Roatan and goes fairly quiet after dark, so if you're looking for nightlife, raucous parties, etc. I wouldn't recommend it. You can go into town for that but if that's your thing just stay in the West End or something. Also note that although there is access to the ocean (on a lovely walkway lined with mangroves), there is no direct beach access here.

We were looking for relaxation, health rejuvenation and a bit of reef snorkeling, so Upachaya was perfect for us. I'm also not a huge beach person so this checked off all the boxes for me. The snorkeling was absolutely amazing and there are diving options, so if that's your thing definitely check it out.

Rooms are clean and adequate though nothing extravagant. We were there during the rainy season (meaning it rained 2-3 times but never for very long) so there were quite a few bugs - come prepared. You're largely left alone by Barbara and her staff and we ended up sleeping 10+ hours a night, waking up feeling great, and starting the day with some yoga and a healthy breakfast. I went for a couple jogs in the surrounding hills and villages and people were incredibly friendly.

Overall, 2 enthusiastic thumbs up for Upachaya!

Room Tip: There are only 5-6 rooms and they're all generally good though some larger than others.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Extremely mellow and relaxing with loads of activities is what I think best describes Upachaya Eco-Resort. The grounds are quite, absolutely private and beautiful with great snorkeling and diving. I will be returning there rather than to some other larger resorts. This is my kind of place and likely yours unless your looking for lots of people, noise and confusion which I experienced elsewhere. The owner Barbara is a super friendly host and is extremely helpful in organizing whatever it is you wish to do. Although it does not have its own restaurant I did not find that to be any inconvenience whatsoever. The are many restaurants within a short Taxi ride which is easy and no hassle and very cheap.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms are great.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo