“Wonderful and tranquil”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Brooklyn, NY
“Wonderful and tranquil”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I had such a brilliant stay with Barb at Upachaya Eco-Lodge, one of the highlights of my trip in Roatan: from the comfortable accommodation to a great yoga class and some of the best and healthiest food I had on the island, and Barb was so wonderful, kind, welcoming and helpful. The property is peaceful, loved my breaks in the pool surrounded by lush gorgeous nature. This place is fantastic! I highly recommend it!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Oakland, California
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We had a fabulous stay with Barb at Upachaya. Two weeks waking up in a beautiful, tranquil place with coffee and breakfast waiting just outside our door on the deck. We were there for some volunteer work and Barb went above and beyond to help us. She took extra time to answer all kinds of questions. She knows all the ins and outs of the island and provided us with an incredible amount of information that helped make our volunteer project a success. During our down time, we also were able to take advantage of her on-site snorkel excursions. Her guides were great, the snorkeling spots were beautiful and the included lunch was healthy and delicious. Thanks Barb!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 April 2014

From the moment we arrived until the moment we left, we felt like VIPs at Upachaya! Barbara, the owner, is extremely gracious and makes sure that all of your needs are meet. She is one part concierge, one part activity coordinator, one part yoga instructor, one part chef, and all amazingly kind!!! The place is beautifully put together. We loved hanging out at the peaceful pool and having a drink or two at the swim-up bar. We spent afternoons at the dock in the private bay reading and enjoying the views. We ate many meals there, all of which were healthy and tasty.

What we really loved was how Barbara anticipated all of our needs- whether it was an evening cocktail, an airport transfer, arrangements for taxis to the West End, or suggestions for activities- we did not have to worry at all. Barbara coordinated everything for us! The location was an easy 15 minute drive from the airport and about 15-20 minutes from West End. Barb arranges good rates with a reliable taxi driver.

We took the kayak/snorkel tour with Edgar and had a great time! He was really skilled and found some cool critters for us to hold. Ask him about the island and sea life- he's very knowledgeable.

Room Tip: Nice views from the 2nd floor rooms, but more stairs.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Alyssa W
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Despite that Carnival Cruise line counsels against using outside excursions, we booked our own in Roatan and found Upachaya to have very good reviews. Don't be put off by having to find your way from the Mahogany Bay port to the tour bus parking lot. It was very easy with good instructions from the owner, Barb.

Start with a 20 minute drive to the Eco-Lodge, meet Barb who gives a brief tour and history of her place. Quickly settle up the payments, sign wavers, get fitted with snorkel gear if needed and then a quick 5 minute walk to the dock to start your snorkel tour. We took the easy pontoon boat but for more adventure you can kayak to the 2 reefs. Only 9 people on our tour! Our guide and Captain, Al, was easy going and very caring about our experience. While the water was choppy from the wind, the reef was shallow and clear for the first location, only 8 feet so lots to see very close to the boat. Al would swim down and take pics with cameras, point out interesting marine life or bring it near the surface for closer exam. After 2 stops we headed back for a nice light lunch and back to the port.

I recommend this place for beginner to moderate snorkelers. If you are very independent try something else. Safety and close proximity to one another was stressed and is ideal for less experienced swimmers.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank andrea b
Auburn, California
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I spent 8 nights at Upachaya and had a much needed retreat from my crazy, busy life in California. The food was amazing, the spa services excellent (best massage I've ever had) and the snorkeling right off the dock of Upachaya was incredible. I have been a diver since 1989 but unable to wear fins this trip due to a foot surgery. I did not feel like I missed a thing with the ability to snorkel the reef right from the dock of Upachaya, a short kayak or patio boat ride away. The property is very peaceful with the sound of the birds and beautiful plants and trees. There was hiking and an arboreteum adjacent to the property that I was unable to enjoy this trip, but I will definitely be back. Barb ensures a customized experience for all her guests and I highly recommend Upachaya for a peaceful and relaxing retreat or vacation.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 7 March 2014

What a wonderful surprise ... hidden away behind the jungle. The accommodations are new, clean and comfortable. However, the BETTER part ... was the care taker and all her staff. They were always sincere, smiling and helpful. I have never been to a more relaxing enjoyable local. The very BEST part ... was the food. It was not only healthy and delicious ... but they took into account my need to avoid onions without laughing at me. You will not be disappointed with your stay ... and you will definitely want to take advantage of the snorkeling and kayaking from their dock. Doug

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Homer, Alaska
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I spent a week at Upachaya and loved it. From the time I got off the plane, Barb made sure that I had everything I could possibly need. Driver waiting at the airport? Check. When I realized I would like a car to explore the island, she called 4 rental places to get the best deal. The location is far enough to surround yourself in peace and quiet, while close enough (though a vehicle is recommended) to both the beach and local action. The food was great, relaxing at the pool was sublime. I'd recommend this place for people who want to travel to Roatan but don't want to be surrounded by the hustle and bustle of cruise line day visitors.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends