“Divers paradise!!!”

Ranked #20 of 41 Hotels in Roatan
Ottawa, Canada
“Divers paradise!!!”
Reviewed 29 December 2011

If you are a recreational diver,this is a great resort.
The hotel dive shop,went out of their way to ensure, everyone was having a good dive.
The visibility was in excess of 80 ft.and the water temp. was always 78 degrees or better.
The best dive of the week was a shore dive. It was a short swim from the dive shop to the
reef.We were rewarded with marine life,such as a sea horse,and many crabs(etc).
The food is described in many other reviews. It was, OK , plentiful,but we did seek something
different near the end of the week.We went to Frenchy's, a restaurant,only a short cab ride
away.The taxi ride cost $20 for two people, return included.If any visitor complains about the
distance to any attraction, they simply ,didn't do their homework.It is a very picturesque
island and awesome views.Sit back and enjoy the ride!
At night,we usually played pool or cards.Two nights,we were entertained by local dancers.
One day,we went into town.The hotel provided us transportation into town,we inquired at
the front desk the evening before to arrange this.
We were greeted by children,wanting to guide us through town.Don't worry when this
happens.The "guides" are only looking for a dollar,if you let them,they will talk your ear off
about their island.
The rooms were nicely appointed,if you need an iron,you have to ask the front desk.
It is a very casual resort,no ties are required.
Remember,this is a third world country and average pay is only $10 a day for local workers.

Room Tip: All rooms are very comfortable,but there are ocean views available,at extra charge.
9 Thank toadman61

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
London, Canada
Reviewed 29 December 2011

This resort went above and beyond my expectations. I had read some of the reviews that were less then wonderful and after having spent a week there December 2011, I cannot understand why anyone would complain. The food was plentiful and as a vegetarian it was nice to be full the entire week. That being said, for those that enjoyed meat, there was plenty to choose from at every meal served.
The entire resort was kept in pristine condition and the staff were so kind and welcoming. Garrison worked so hard to ensure the guests were enjoying their stay and the entertainment staff (Ilsa, Elisa, Januiz and Douglas) made our stay even more enjoyable with there enthusiam and kindness! The dive centre was amazing and offered many excursions for those who were not participating in dive trips. Flaco and Daniella are fantastic guides and extremely helpful and friendly!
The beach was stunning and the snorkling was breath taking! For those who are not beach people, the pools were wonderful with a great ocean view as well.
It was nice to go to a resort that felt like a part of nature rather than imposing on it. If you are looking for a quiet, relaxing vacation with great food, drinks, accomodations, excursions and most importantly great people, then you need to visit Media Luna!
I will be returning as soon as I can. Thank you to all the staff that make the resort run smoothly and create such a comfortable experience for those who visit.

Room Tip: The rooms are all villas and are all in great proximity to the restaurant. I suggest ocean view bec...
1 Thank Leeann G
Montreal
Reviewed 29 December 2011

This was our first visit to Roatan (just returned Dec. 36th) and we were a little concerned given some of the reviews we had read prior to going. We quickly learned that the hotel management is well aware of the reviews on this site and has hired new chefs (brought in from Italy mid-December). They have a great team in place to ensure your stay will be amazing. Our travel agent, Martin Labrecque from Aqua Terra Travels in Laval, QC, exceeded our expectations and made every effort to make this a truly memorable trip. He worked with the accommodating staff at the hotel to really ‘wow’ us. We have travelled a great deal, and the staff at this hotel (and dive shop) was the friendliest we have ever met. The grounds of the hotel are beyond compare. It’s an amazing place to dive, snorkel or simply relax and recharge. I saw more fish 20 feet from the beach than I have snorkeling anywhere else.
If you are looking for nightlife, go elsewhere. If you want a tropical paradise, this is the place. Pay for the room upgrade for the Ocean view – you won’t regret it!
Do bring an SPF with bug control. It will make your stay more pleasant. We found that SkinSoSoft BugGuardPlus worked wonders. We got it from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Avon-Bug-Guard-Cool-Fabulous/dp/B00097AKEK/ref=pd_rhf_ee_shvl6
We rented a truck and toured the island and other hotels during our stay – after which we concluded that Media Luna in really THE place to stay if going to Roatan. If you travel with Sunwing – don’t let their reps discourage you from attending the hotel information session since it is very informative. The hotel and dive shop offer excursions that are not offered by Sunwing. We would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Pay for the Ocean View. Room 135 was very close to the restaurant/bar.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Eric D
ontario
Reviewed 27 December 2011

My travelling companion and I, played the Sunwing Roulette - and boy did we thought we had lost when we found out we were going to the Media Luna. After all the latest terrible reviews, we were both disappointed. Got home last night, and we were sure wrong. The Media Luna was FANTASTIC - for us. If you are looking for a quiet resort, that will go out of it's way to accomodate you - this is the place. To make this brief I will highlight in point form the pro's and cons.
PRO's
When we visted 65 guests at resort (60% capacity) - as most guest are avid drivers - you could count maybe 20 people around the resort all day.
Staff- can not say enough - we (and everyone commented on it) - treated PERSONALLY - to the best level of service I have ever seen at an all inclusive resort
Rooms - individual cabanas (we had 145 - ocean view) - spacious - great rain fall shower - large deck with covered verandha - great for rainy evenings.
Beach - yes it is small - but there was never more than 4 people on it. Snorkelling was fastastic right off the beach
Pools - very clean (same with the jacuzzi pool) and again - never more than 6 to 10 people around. Plenty of shade umbrellas or beds available.
Food - I will say - some of the best food I have had at an all inclusive. If you go hungry here.... go somewhere where you have your choice of restaurants and have to pay for it. Wait service at meals was exceptional. In speaking with the staff - they acknowledge things were more challenging the week prior - poor weather had prevented boats from mainland from delivering supplies - EVERYTHING is brought to Roatan from the mainland - they do not have any "home grown" supplies available. Also as far as meals - all food is prepared and cooked at the resort - with the exception of baked goods (breads and dessert) - I can tell you the main courses we were eating we not "trucked" from anywhere. Yes, the wine is pretty much "undrinkable" - we saw lots of people drinking it though - some foresight - we brought 4 bottles of our fav Austrailan with us - no problem enjoying it with dinner.
CAPPACINO'S oh yeah - heaven.....mmmm - we also brought a bottle of zambucca with us.
Bar was very limited for all inclusive - if you want top shelf - just stop at duty free and buy a couple bottles of your fav.
Some may complain why should I have to do this for an all inclusive - well, this isnt Mexico or the DR - thank God, I hope they never are. So for the sake of $60.00 of top notch alcohol we brought on our own - not one complaint. You can also purchase brand name booze at the shop in Coxen Hole for much less than duty free.
If you get the chance head out to Cayo Cachinos with the dive shop for the day. No words to describe the experience... you will see
Only negative at all - the "no-see-ums", unfortunately they were sweet on me. No amount of bug spray (deet or not) will keep them away - only hope slather yourself with baby oil - the thicker and greasier the better. Make sure you bring lots of it, benadryl, calamine lotion.
If you are looking for a "party" spot - not for you - we all had fun, lots of laughs and fun, but everyone headed for bed at 11:00 pm latest. This resort is geared to diving and snorkelling - tons of booze and hangovers dont fit.
To sum it up - I would head back there in a heart beat... been to many all inclusives all over and this was the best. Snorkelling was second only to the great barrier reef in Australia - which I have done - but certainly cost five times what I paid for this vacation.

2 Thank pkpitts
Cambridge, Canada
Reviewed 22 December 2011

My daughter and I were at Media Luna in April 2011, and all I can say is Wow, the negative reviews, I have been reading, makes me wonder if this is the same place we were at. How could it have changed so much!!
I read people saying how far it is from everything, or the small beaches, did these people not do their homework prior to going there. We were there over Easter, spent a Day in West End, and West Bay, and we were so thankful to get back to Media Luna, less people, quiet, beautiful setting. Again, people complain no beer, pop in fridge, we took our own drink/travel glasses, and we just would bring back a "lemon daiquiri" or beer back to our room. Yes the wine is likely the worst I have ever had anywhere, but we added water to the white wine, if we really wanted any. The food is brought in from Henry Morgan, but we never felt hungry, or that we had to rush to the front of the line. The "Honduras" dinner they do is fabulous, but yes, the pasta bar, and morning egg station were always busy. Snacks were lean, but we always travel with some. The views from the D.Room beautiful.
When we were there, if 100 people, and we felt spoiled, like we had a resort to ourselves. The cabanas loved it, the views, the patio, the daily maid service.,shower head, with view to the water, double closets, it truly was a piece of heaven.
There are so many places to go hang out, boardwalks all over, there is a lack of shade though, and that can be an issues, but they likely have put in more umbrellas this season.
The snorkeling off the beach, or the pier, our week had a fair number of divers and snorkelers, the team at the resort said we were such a good group, everyone meshed well together, there was no group here, group there, everyone of all levels snorkel, dive, or just beach bunnies all got along. My daughter, had been to "Great Barrier Reef", kind of hard to compare diving to that, but, she said , it was amazing, with the help, of other divers, she/we were able to discover incredible sights. We did a couple of tours, now our week, the snorkel adventure with the dive shop was a wee disaster, but we all made it home, the guided tours were great, and Davie was a good host.
There are so many GREAT things for this resort, and yes there was a few negatives, but we felt that when the resort would be totally finished, the price would be way too pricey to go.
Overall we had an incredible week.
To those going, keep an open mind, overlook little things, look at what you have there. You are there to relax, enjoy, relax, and enjoy!!

Room Tip: Ocean View for sure
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
10 Thank dsscott
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 18 December 2011

Was expecting a little bit better for a 4 1/2 star was closer to Cuba 3 star.accomodations were very nice cabana 136 was perfect little ocean view and great pool view. Snorkeling was the best i have ever done a wall drops off to 100 ft a couple of hundred feet from shore at the last bouy amazing to say the least,saw a spotted eagle ray, lion fish and all kinds of others.Ziplined with Caribe Sky booked online 55 $ picked 4 of up and brought back to hotel in the afternoon after cruise ship s had left ,nice and quite no waiting . all in all was not what i was expecting for a 4 1/2 star but you make your own fun and enjoy .

Room Tip: 134 -136 were clsest to pool and the only bar
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Ontario
Reviewed 17 December 2011

Stayed for one week, booked through Sunwing for $1700. More than twice what I've ever paid for a resort stay and yet it really didn't exceed any of my other experiences in any way other than the snorkelling. The rooms were fantastic - big cabanas with a tv and fridge, lots of closet space, rain showers (ie. no tub), and balconies with hammocks. Very clean - the first night I didn't have a working air conditioner or hot water in the shower and Chloe at the front desk fixed me up right away. There were no drinks provided in the fridge other than 2 small bottles of water which I had to hold onto the entire week and refill at coolers throughout the resort. (Even cheaper resorts provide pop or beer for something different to drink...) Pool towels were supposed to be replenished each night at 7pm but I think they came by twice the entire week.
The pool area was always kept clean and there were never problems getting a chair and umbrella in the morning. The guys came around first thing and brought out cushions. Grounds are beautiful - lush and green - aside from the fellow who sprays for bugs twice a day. The smoke/chemical smell would drive us away from any open areas of the resort when he came around. Despite the spraying the sandflies were still brutal, although I didn't really feel them until the end of the week. The welts they caused were pretty unsightly. I used the gym a few times during my stay - several cardio machines, some weights, and mats for stretching. They also offered yoga classes on the deck if the weather was good. I did book one massage at the spa - $55 for a one hour hot stone massage. She was excellent and well worth the splurge. The resort is a bit of a drive from the airport and other amenities so it's quiet and remote - it was exactly what I was looking for though (no kids :)
Didn't have any problems with the food, other than it occasionally being cold. The buffet was small but I certainly never went hungry - loved the morning donuts, chicken at lunch, and variety of veggies and rice at dinner! Desserts were not that good and if you didn't arrive at lunch or dinner first thing most veggie dishes were not replenished. There was always fruit available, but it was always watermelon, cantaloupe, or pineapple - never anything else. Drinks at the bar were limited, but once I discovered the lemon daiquiris I didn't drink anything else…white wine was no good, and the a la carte meal was fair. The main course, grilled fish for me, was cold and the veggies were pickled but still raw.
The service was excellent throughout the resort - the two girls at reception were very friendly and helped me on several occasions, the entertainment staff was fun although there wasn't much excitement at night, and the servers were very attentive (thanks Nelson!). I ended up getting dive certified through the resort dive shop and thought my instructor Rafael was professional and very informative. I ran into problems with other staff though, when seeking clarification on getting a temporary dive card to leave with. Two of them told me I could pick it up after my exam, the other two said it would be emailed to me. It's been two weeks and I still haven't received anything...on my last dive I saw two of the staff having an underwater spat which continued back on the boat - I found it was pretty disorganized and unprofessional as they were more focused on taking photographs than watching their junior divers! I recently contacted the PADI office in California - they have no record of me getting certified at the Media Luna Resort through Aqua Adventures. SO - buyer beware, I was impressed with the dive shop at first, now I just feel like they only wanted my money.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo