“Quite Impressed”

Media Luna Resort & Spa
Ranked #19 of 42 Hotels in Roatan
Reviewed 24 January 2012

We, like many of the other reviewers were quite nervous to travel to the Media Luna after many of the unflattering reviews. We even went so far as to speak with Sunwing to change resorts before we left but after a week of going back and forth we decided to stick with this property. Boy, were we ever happy we did!
First I want to give kudos to Sunwing for their flawless transfer from the airport to the resort. This was the most organized transfer I have ever experienced! Lucie and her husband Patrick the Sunwing reps, met us and sent us to the right transportation with ease and no choas as we have experienced in the past. What a great pair they were to get us where we needed to be stress-free.(Same as on the way back too...Note: Sunwing also has an Elite Plus check-in in the Roatan Airport which was an added bonus!)
This resort has individual cabanas, which is wonderful not to be sharing walls with neighbours. These cabanas were quite spacious and very clean. They were also modern which was a nice touch with having double sinks and a glass shower with cedar floor.
The pool area was beautiful with plenty of chairs for everyone. There never was a need to wake up before dawn to secure chairs...and no one did.
My husband and I never used the beach just past the pool, instead we walked down to the diving dock and walked down the plank of wood to the "other" beach that no one ever used and we would spend 2 hours after breakfast and then 4 hours after lunch snorkeling out to the reef and along the shore line. To say that the snorkeling was amazing would be such an understatement and and insult to nature. It was truely the most beautiful thing we have ever seen. We saw many lionfish, pufferfish, eels, octopi, squid and all kinds of colourful fish and corals. Yes, the no-see-ums are in full effect. It took about 3 days before we even had a bite and then well, once they tasted us, we were gonners. It was my fault...I completely forgot to pack bug spray but many other people on the resort were very helpful with offering us to use theirs. I did pack AfterBite, Benedryl and Benedryl Pen and aloe, all of which did help with easing the itch. We did suffer many bites though. They do spray and if you get caught in that fog...man does it stink.
Now to address the food issue. We did find that the food got better as the week went on. The food is quite good. It was just sometimes....and I do mean only sometimes the food was not as hot as we would have liked. It certainly was warm enough to eat but not as hot as we would have prefered but it was always delicious. It did get hotter as the week went on. A sure bet was the pasta that the chef would prepare while you wait. It was always hot and delicious. The breakfast was a little redundant but their donuts were to die for! The bar did not run out of booze or mix while we were there and I have one suggestion to you...try the Lemon Daiquiri. I promise you will drink nothing else! We did feel that there was a lot of time between the lunch and dinner hours but we brought some nuts to tide us over or they did serve a snack at the bar at 5:00. There was nothing until then. I do wish that they change that and offer something simple like nachos all day like other resorts do. When you are swimming all day you get hungry and have to wait until 7:00 to have supper, it sometimes felt like an eternity!
I highly recommend the West End/West Bay all day tour. It was a great way to see the other side of the island. We took a glass bottom boat ride that was the highlight of the trip...we were followed by a pod of 11 dolphins swimming right up to the windows! We also saw a sea turtle!The lunch at a private club, San Simon was great and we were set up with a water taxi by our tour guide David to snorkel at a reef that was safe from the boats and the guide Randolf went snorkeling with us and pointed things out that we would have missed. It was an extra cost of $15 per person per hour with your own gear or $20 without. Worth every penny.
Over all, this is a resort for nature lovers. It is quiet and secluded but so beauitful. If you can make it up the road (it is very steap), it is a beautiful place to see the picturesque view of the coast. I most definitely would recommend this resort. I just wouldn't forget your bug spray!

8  Thank Mariannabanana
There are newer reviews for Media Luna Resort & Spa

Reviewed 20 January 2012

Just got back two weeks ago and only one word can describe our stay , Fantastic. The room was beautiful the service was great the site was incredible. The hotel and dive shop staff were great . The food was good, fish excellent. Great snorkeling from the beach and if you want to try out scuba diving the dive shop staff will hook you up no problem. Marc Antoine , merci beaucoup what a great instructor. A big thank you Media Luna for making our vacation a memorable one. We will recommend without hesitation your island paradise.

7  Thank Dragonfly_6319
Reviewed 20 January 2012

We had a lot of fun at the Media Luna Resort. Becky at the front desk was the best I have every seen, very helpfull. Ysla and Elisa were at lot of fun (animation)( even Douglas when playing water valleyball who hates to loose).

The room were magnificient, very clean. Everywhere the site was very clean. The food was ordinary (even by Cuba standard) and there is no wine during the day. So if you do not drink beer, alcool or soft drink (like me) you have only water to drink during the day and wine only at 7 o'clock. So bring your own wine.

The snorkeling was GREAT !!!!! And the site was paradisiac.

I would go back anythime as long as I brought my own wine.

Thank you for a wonderfull time !

Carol Carpentier, Alain Miclette, Diane Carpentier and Richard Bourdage.

Maybee WE WILL BE BACK !!!
The staff is wonderfull.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Carol C
Reviewed 19 January 2012

After reading all the negative reviews, we headed to Media Luna on Roatan with very low expectations. The food was certainly better than we expected - not great, but not as horrible as described by several people here. And to be honest, who books an all inclusive expecting good food. The room was absolutely lovely - clean, quiet and spacious enough to be comfortable. The "rock hard" bed as someone else described was not that at all - it was firm yes, but pillow-topped and comfortable with about a hundred pillows in various sizes for added comfort however you wanted it. The beach was small yet spotless and at times we were the only ones there. We travelled around the island in our own rental car a few times, and can say that many beaches were dirty, littered, weedy water, etc. The 2 pools are lovely, and there are always plenty of chairs available. The dining room is spacious and airy. The evening entertainment was a bit lame, but those young kids were singing and dancing their hearts out and who can be so callous as to be critical of that? Were it not for this resort and the tourists, these lovely island and mainland Honduran young adults wouldn't have employment! Located off the beaten path and about 40 minutes (by car) from the West Beach area which is highly developed and busy. We enjoyed visiting West Beach a couple of times, but were grateful to return to the peace and quiet of Media Luna. The staff are absolutely fantastic - friendly and so accommodating. They have some rules that seem arbitrary and silly and the staff has clearly been trained to enforce them so that could be frustrating. We too had an issue with a management decision and found management difficult to connect with. However, that said, the GM for Henry Morgan properties has since connected with us by e-mail and has been both gracious and accommodating. One final comment - to all those who have complained about the water bottle. Seriously? You'd rather contribute to that small island's challenges just cuz you can't refill a water bottle? Unhygenic and unsafe? Come on! I'm actually appalled at some of the snide and selfish comments posted here and so glad that my own cirlce of family and friends are more forgiving and kinder. I think you people need to give yourselves a shake and get over it.

Room Tip: Upgrade to an ocean view room if one is available!
10  Thank Sharon C
Reviewed 18 January 2012

Don't go to this Henry Morgan Resort, if you do then don't expect 4 star treatment, as informed travellers here's our view................ Accomodation is basic, the beds are rock hard and the food is grim, it is neither cooked on sight or is it fresh, often disguised, as the quality of the food deteriorates.
Two chefs present at meal times are merely warming the food giving the impression that food is cooked on site. Also no snacks are available between meals.
On arrival each guest is given one bottle of water and it is expected of guests to refill water botles for the duration of stay with no regard for the consequences of this unhygenic and unsafe practice.
My husband was very impressed with the diving, the staff were very friendly and the pool area was very spacious and clean.
On departure ensure that you have $40 per person in cash for your departure tax as the bank at the airport does not dispense cash and the ATM is unreliable. Our Sunquest travel representative was not very helpful or informative.
There is no evening entertainment and the resort is so dimly lit that after dark most guests retreat to their accomodation
This resort is as cheap as management can make it.
On the whole this was a disappointment and not worth the money we paid.

3  Thank Bob B
Reviewed 17 January 2012

we spend one week at média lunna resort! what a paradisiac site and resort. don't paid attention to the previous reviews! everything is great, food, personnel, weather, service !!!!!! we would go back!

4  Thank COUETTE
Reviewed 11 January 2012

Honduras appears to be a trend with my boyfirend and I; this was his third and my second trip to Roatan. This resort, while new and still working out the kinks was amazing. If you are looking for a busy, loud night night life- stay far away. But that's not my idea of a vacation anyways...

Two issues we had were 1. They ocassionally ran out of beer. It's also a third world country and the staff worked very hard to correct the situation and always managed to get more in a few hours. 2. The resort is advertised as adult-only however the staff sometimes brought their children and a large group of divers came from the US and several had children with them. Before I'd return, I'd double check to see if they have changed their policy. Those 2 issues aside, it was fantastic!

For those scuba divers reading this, the diving was some of the best I've seen. There is a massive reef wall just off shore, maybe a 5 minute swim. You almost don't have to get on a boat! I finally saw my first seahorse- actually seahorses! We also saw turtles, nurse sharks, french angel fish, eagle rays... goes on and on! We also did the shark dive for $100 and it was so exciting! I've never braved that, but would do it again in a heartbeat! The dive staff was great, so helpful... Best part was that we rented our equipment each day, but were able to keep our gear aside so it was always available to us for a spur of the moment shore dive.

Food wasn't amazing, but we never went hungry- again it's a third world country. A few people were vocalizing there opinions about the food, which I think is extremely rude. This is something you should expect when you go to Central America. They just opened their a la carte restaurant. It's a bit removed from the main resort area and they had a limited bar selection. The staff worked very hard to make it a nice experience.

I will definately come back to Roatan. We try to never go to the same place twice, but in a few years, we may just have to come back here. The diving and the atmosphere of this place was amazing. We plan to try the Cayo Cochino day trip next time.

Have fun!

Room Tip: Make time for a trip into the West End for dinner one night. It's a nice change in scenery and w...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple